pics of old Charter Arms 44 Bulldog?

old_yout

I know they're not the best revolvers out there but I've heard that the old ones are fairly decent if you don't overshoot them. And I kind of like that clunky, rough, unshrouded ejector rod look.

So does anyone have one of these and can post a picture of it?

Jbar4Ranch

The silver finish is an older matte hard chrome finish called Armaloy (Maybe it's still around...?). It used to be a popular practice to remove the cylinder release and chuck it so it wouldn't chew up your thumb on recoil, which is what the previous owner did. I had to replace it and that's why it's blue instead of matching the rest of the gun. The grips I made myself out of oak with a decorative insert made from an earring. I use the old standard .44 spl load of 6.0 grains of Unique, but with a 205 grain RFN .44-40 bullet sized to .430", which often doesn't size it at all, seeing as how it's a .44-40 bullet, and that's about what it drops out of the mould at. :D The cartridges pictured are factory HP's.

014595.jpg

bullfrog99

No pictures but I have one with a blued finish. The ejector rod likes to unscrew itself with use and I am forever tightening the thing, some day i'll just loctite it and be done with it. otherwise, it is a neat gun. Mine came with oversized grips and I have yet to buy CCW sized ones so my experience with recoil would not help you much. Accuracy seems about the same as my makarov which is pretty good. You can easily shoot fist sized groups at 25 yards. Overall, I like it.

steveno

a friend of mine had one these revolvers and he always shot some of Elmer Keith's 44 special memorial loads in it. it is without a doubt the worst kicking handgun I have ever shot in my life bar none

Jbar4Ranch

I imagine it was! Elmers .44 spl load was 18.5 grains of 2400 in balloon head cases, or 17.0 grains in solid head cases, with a hard cast 250 grain SWC bullet. I'm quite suprised your friends Bulldog is still in one piece.

ISP2605

How about a pix of this one?
Pretty decent shooter. I carry it oftentimes when hiking and/or camping. Light weight and as accurate as I am.
Had one once that had the barrel cut even with the ejector rod, front sight reattached, magnaported, and a finish like satin nickle. It was a real shooter. My cousin who was a professional, full time smith did the work. Was offered over twice what I had in it so I sold it. Was going to have my cousin do this one the same way but he up and died before he could get to it. Pretty inconsiderate of him.

Attachments

• CA44.jpg
    CA44.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 199

larryf1952

I don't normally like to be the one to bring up useless trivia, or especially dredge up bad memories, but the Charter Arms .44 Bulldog was the preferred weapon of David Berkowitz, aka "Son Of Sam", back in '77 in NYC. Just one of the many worthless thoughts that make their way through my head most of the time... :confused:

leadbutt

I have two of the older models,,one is the standard 3" model that I carried in a Berns holster, and the other is a custom job with the bbl cut down to 2" and the hammer bobbed,and trigger guard thined,was a great pocket piece