• Carbine

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Other

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

shappy0869

Living in south Florida, there is a very real possibility of a major hurricane causing a period of time where the police are overtaxed (Katrina), plus there is always the threat of a terrorist attack. Wanting to be prepared, but not paranoid, I was looking for a weapon that could supplement my Glock 27 that I keep in my nightstand.

I have also started shooting clays for fun with some friends, so my plan had been to build up a "tactical" Remington 870 12 gauge to be used for home defense, shooting clays and for if the you-know-what hits the fan.

However, my dad has thrown a wrench into the works. He has offered to me a Winchester Model 12 which would, of course, work very well for clays and would also work nicely for HD in a barricade situation. However, I don't believe that it would be a great weapon for civil unrest (but I could be wrong) due to its long (ungainly) barrel and 4-shot magazine capacity.

I am looking for opinions on what would be a good "defend the neighborhood/home" weapon. I am considering said 870 or some sort of pistol-caliber carbine. Either one should be effective out to 100 meters (with slugs in the 870), which is what I would imagine would be a reasonable distance to "defend." I think I would nix the idea of a rifle round simply because they tend to over-penetrate and have a very long range, which would not be a good thing in a heavily residential neighborhood.

I really like the Beretta CX4 for a carbine. A bit expensive, but everything I have read indicated it is very reliable and accurate.

wall1_800.jpg

So, shotgun or carbine...or other suggestions?

Edward429451

I voted carbine/(rifle).

What the heck is that Storm chambered for? Big ol hole. My buddy has a 45 acp Storm. It's nice, light, accurate enough, but the 8 round mag cap would make it ill advised for a civil unrest scenario I think.

I'd take a .223 if going outside (and friends).

shappy0869

The Storm is available in 9mm, .40 and .45. I would probably go with the .40, just to maintain ammo compatibility with my Glock.

Damn, I just read my post and boy do I sound paranoid! :eek:

Csspecs

I would say pistol carbine as you don't want everyone to know you have something they might want (if your shooting that means someone is trying to take something by force, thus there is something valuable there).

So keep it quite with a pistol carbine and keep some subsonic rounds handy.

No your not paranoid, you just remember what it was like when the storms came through. Around here the hospitals were full of people injured while someone was stealing there gas or generators. There were a few that were killed because they had fuel and someone more violent than them wanted it.

Bud Helms

No matter the title, no matter the gun content, this is a SHTF topic. We don't do SHTF, Zombies or TEOTWAWKI here. Go to a survivalist board for that.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.