Picking a CCW gun

Merad

Guns, actually. :D

I'm planning to get my CCW early next year and have been looking recently at options for what to carry. I'm thinking about going ahead and getting two additional guns, one for EDC and a smaller one for when I need easier concealment.

EDC - I think I'm pretty much decided on a Glock 19, and have been able to try one at my local range. The main question is, Gen 3 or Gen 4? I know the question has been beaten to death online already. It seems though like most of the negative stuff about Gen 4 is a year or 18 months old before Glock got the kinks worked out. At this point is there any significant reason to avoid Gen 4?

Small gun - I've been looking at the Ruger LCP and LC9. Unfortunately I don't have the option to try either one of these before I buy. I like the size of the LCP for concealment, but I'm afraid it might be getting too small (I have large hands). Anyone with larger hands that has an LCP and can comment? LC9 feels good in my hands but is a bit larger.

Cheapshooter

How many fingers can you get on the grip of the LC9? I don't know if my hands are unusually large, but I am a big guy of 6'3 and 300+ #. With my trigger finger in position I barely get two fingers on the grip of my LCP with the finger extension that came with it installed on the mag. Not really a problem though. I can still shoot it about as well as it can be shot with consistent center mass hits @ 10 yds. On a LC9 I can just fit all three fingers of my shooting hand on the grip.
Hope this helps a bit.

ClydeFrog

If it were me...

I'm not a huge fan of Glocks or polymer frame striker fired semi auto pistols in general but of your choices, I'd get a NIB Glock 19 3rd Gen(not a RTF-02) type.
The smaller Glock 26 sub compact could be the 2nd gun & you can use pistol magazines in either model.

You may want to consider a new in box Glock 36 .45acp for deep concealed use(s) too. It's not a 9x19mm but the old .45acp can pack a serious punch.
I do not care for the new Glock 4th Gen RTF-02 models but many Glock owners praise the Glock 19 3rd Gen pistols for carry or protection.

Merad

How many fingers can you get on the grip of the LC9? I don't know if my hands are unusually large, but I am a big guy of 6'3 and 300+ #. With my trigger finger in position I barely get two fingers on the grip of my LCP with the finger extension that came with it installed on the mag. Not really a problem though. I can still shoot it about as well as it can be shot with consistent center mass hits @ 10 yds. On a LC9 I can just fit all three fingers of my shooting hand on the grip.
Hope this helps a bit.

LC9 I think with the mag extension my pinkie was barely able to fit on the bottom of the extension. LCP unfortunately he was only showing me a mag without the extension, I was able to get about 2 or 2 and a half fingers on just the grip on the gun itself.

So it sounds like the LCP may be ok then. I guess the .380 Auto has a low enough recoil to keep it manageable? Haven't actually shot that caliber before.

You may want to consider a new in box Glock 36 .45acp for deep concealed use(s) too. It's not a 9x19mm but the old .45acp can pack a serious punch.

I have looked at some of the smaller Glocks, but the main turnoff to me is that they're still fairly wide. The LCP in particular is small enough that it looks like it will just vanish into a pocket... it's about wallet size, in fact.

Are there any other good options in that size range worth considering?

Japle

Mirad, I’m a big Glock fan, and carried a G19 every day for 6-7 years. But, IMHO, the XDm 3.8 9mm is a better gun. I carry one now and like it even more than the Glock.

You can get the compact grip model, so you can use the 19 round mag for most CC and the shorter, 13 round mag for easier concealment. I’m retired and wear what I want, so I just bought the one with the full-size grip.

XDmandsparemag-1.jpg

TxFlyFish

The gen 4 issues is DEFINITELY NOT a year old! The only safe 4th gen glocks are those manufactured October/November and later THIS YEAR. Even late 3rd gen glocks are also affected. Only buy after visually verifying recoil spring code AND ejectior code!!

dgludwig

I guess the .380 Auto has a low enough recoil to keep it manageable?

The .380 cartridge discharged from a small pistol weighing under ten ounces (i.e., the LCP) is not a "pleasant" shooting endeavor in the context of the typical "range" gun, especially if thirty or more rounds are expended in one session, in my experience. However, with a little practice, it is certainly "manageable". I carry an LCP when the circumstances warrant toting a small, light-weight, easily concealed pistol and, though I have relatively large hands and find the little Ruger a bit hard to secure an "ideal" grip, I can shoot it accurately enough and find it reasonably controllable when firing quick shots in succession. Importantly, my LCP has proven to be very reliable-though I use only ball ammunition in it.

MLeake

In addition to small size, .380 pistols are often blowback actions. This makes them even more unpleasant.

I find that the new, small 9mm pistols are less snappy, if somewhat bulkier.

dascottsman

I carry a G23 regularly, so the same size and appox. the same weight as the G19, just in .40 you give up 2 in capacity for moving "up" to said caliber from 9mm. but that can be corrected with a +2 baseplate on a factory Glock mag. bringing the cap back to 15+1 in the pipe. Spare mag makes you a serious contender in a gunfight, although I personally cannot think of a scenario that I would allow myself to get into these days where I might need to spread around 30+ rounds, but why not carry an extra mag in case of failure of first mag etc......
After gettin my CHP, I bought myself a S&W 442 to carry as a present for finally going and getting my card to carry legally, and it sits in my safe and I carry my Glock23 daily, and my Sig 239 when I need to keep it super cool. After you get a good holster that fits you and your lifestyle good, you will forget she is riding with you at times. I find myself going through the day not even thinking about the fact that I am carrying my piece, until I go to give someone a hug, then I think of it.

No experience with the LC9. Looks to be a nice piece though and Ruger is quality if you are asking this camper. I have had many and loved them all.

The new Beretta looks to be a nice looking hide out piece for deep concealment. A inch thick in 9mm, and nothing at all on the slide to catch on clothing. I bet she barks and bites when she lights up some 9mm Hydrashocks though..........

I love my Sig239 for carry also. You are looking at 7+1 on this piece though, so if you are looing for a higher capacity weapon, you might want to consider others.

Viper225

I have owned a few Glocks over the years, I currently own an XDm, bought before the Smith & Wesson M&P came out. Myself I would pick either the XDm or M&P over the Glock. Glock would be my third choice in Combat Tupperware.
If I were buying new again today, I would probably have the M&P as my first choice, followed by the XDm, and Glock as the third choice. All are good choices, but that is the order I would rate them in for my uses.

If I were looking at small semiauto Concealed Carry Guns. I would look at the Kahr PM9 or PM40, and the KelTec PF-9 first. I do not own either brand, however I am around lots of folks who carry at the range. Most who do research before buying have a Kahr or a KelTec. After that it would be small 1911's

Just my 2 Cents

Bob

dabigguns357

The max fire power that you can conceal well.

It's different for most.I'm 5'10" 200+ and i can/do conceal a Glock 22 or S&W 686 4 inch barrel .357 mag,and now a Sig 2340.For me little guns are out of the picture as i don't shoot them well(either to small or uncomfortable).My hand fits around big guns and thats what i carry(i'm fat and it's easy).

Don't buy a range gun and a carry gun,make them the same.Why would you carry a gun you only shoot 2-3 mags thru because it's to uncomfortable/small to shoot well with.Then you take a hand cannon to the range that you won't ever carry.

It's great to have guns,but try and find your carry gun,keep it,shoot most,and don't look back.

ak2323

Something went seriously wrong with the Glock 19 model towards the end of Gen 3 and start of Gen 4. Glocktalk and other forums have all the details on that though. Having shot both Gen 3 and Gen 4 I didn't really feel the difference at all. Apparently the 4s have interchangeable backstraps, dual-set recoil springs, and some other BS marketing made them add in.

Pah. They're Glocks - you can dress them up all you like but they are what they are.

Slowhand

Choice is a Wonderful Thing

ConcealedCarryAug2011IDD.jpg

I have 4 Main Carry Weapons. Depending upon which side of town I’m in I may be found with the S&W 4043 in the glove box. Either the Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in .44 MAG , a Ruger SP 101 .357 Cal, or a SIG P-239 in 9mm as a main gun.

Weather and how I’m dressed are also taken into consideration. The Ruger LCP .380 goes along as a BUG or sometimes flies solo.