picking a .17 hmr (left-handed)

idek

I'm considering getting a 17HMR rifle Would mostly be used for casual target shooting and plinking and maybe small game and varmint hunting. I already have a couple 22LRs (both 10/22s) so the 17HMR in a bolt-gun could be a nice change of pace.

Anyway, in my search for left-handed options, I came up with three results in very different price categories:

1) Savage
2) CZ
3) Anschutz

I will say up front that the Savage would probably work well enough for my needs, but it's sometimes nice to pay a bit more once and be content than go with a cheaper option but still pine for something else.

Can anyone share their experiences or thoughts on these guns (or point out other options I've overlooked)?

David R

I bought a savage 93R17 with the laminated stock and target barrel. Nice gun. Shoots about 1.5" @ 100. 17 HMR drops 8" from 100 to 200 yards.

I simply love the gun. Accutrigger is easy to get down to what ever you want.

Also available with a thumbhole stock.

I am paying 13.95 a box of 50 and can get all I want. I have a few bricks stored away.
David

idek

thanks for the reply. Yes, the relatively low ammo price and it's availability are among the reasons the .17 HMR is appealing to me.

Rob228

I have the same Savage as mentioned above. I put it in a Boyds stock and can get sub 1" at 100, I haven't shot it past that yet, but it also drops less than 1/2" from 50-100 (that will be any .17 though)

The one issue I am having with it is that the first round from a magazine (NOT COLD BORE) will be 1/2-3/4" below the rest of the group at 100.

Nathan c

I have a CZ and it is ....WOW..... I got it used if you use any thing other than the fmj amo on animals and won't to eat it you have to do head shots becuse the Hornady ntx or federal v show ect.... pritty much makes small animals .... BLOW UP.... and peces go every where

idek

Thanks for the additional responses. I've heard good things about Boyd's stocks. I bugs me a little, though, to spend money on a gun and immediately spend more to improve things that I wish were better in the first place.

How is the CZ trigger? In searching online, it looks like a lot of people replace the trigger on the CZ 452 (the only left-hand model available, I think). Maybe these are picky bench rest shooters or something. I'd be more interested in how it compares to triggers on typical hunting guns.

Also, I see the Browning T-Bolt is available in lefty. Any input on those would be appreciated as well.

Last edited:

reloder56

I have both the Savage 93R17GLV and the CZ452. Accuracy of both rifles, as they come out of the box, are more than adequate for the informal target shooting and small game hunting I use them for. The triggers on both are good, though I must admit that the Accu-trigger on the Savage breaks cleaner than the CZ. I'm sure I could fiddle with the trigger on the 452 and get it to break like the Savage. You are correct that unless you restrict you shots on small game to head shots, you're going to wind up with a lot of stew meat, even with the 20 gr. gamepoints. Regards, Gary

Nathan c

the CZ has a set tiger that is nice just pop the thing forward nice light pull I don't find the normal pull bad eather but it's ez to get to the trigger agusments

Death from Afar

As a left hander, you might be able to work a Anschutz 1727 straight pull bolt, and I think it comes out in a left handed version. Very, very superior rifle.

I have a Anschutz 1717 and although pricey, is mind-blowingly good. The Weatherby .17 built with Anschutz parts might be worth alook too. A friend of mine shoots one and it is a tack driver.

But you cant beat an Anschutz. True story, I was doing a zero at 50 metres before going back to 100. A big fly landed on the target. So I literally decided to try and shot the wings off it. I did- well actually the rifle did, but I may as well take the credit.

The Big D

My CZ 455 Varminter in 22LR is a legitimately sub-MOA gun at 50y and 100y which is very good for .22LR and cost about $400 or so. I would not hesitate for a second to buy the .17 barrel.