Picked up the new 4th Gen Glock 22

output

Just picked up a new 4th gen Glock 22 and I am pretty excited about it. I was able to put a few rounds down range the other day, because a guy next me was courteous enough to let me try his. I have never been a big fan of Glock because of the way they fit my hands or really cared for their looks…but I really like what they have done with the new design.
I have small-medium size hands for a 210lbs guy so sometimes I have a hard time finding ‘the right fit’ but the 4th generation Glock 22 feels very good in my hands almost too good. I haven’t taken it to the range yet but that will be the real test as I have not yet shot it extensively but I will be back with a full range report by the end of this week with pictures!

-Output

Icopy1

Please post a range report. I am very curious to hear how the new recoil spring set up affects felt recoil and muzzle rise. I am holding out until the G21 (45 acp) versions become available next year (hopefully).

varoadking

I bought a new Gen4 G17. It shot 218 rounds flawlessly right out of the box, but not as accurately as I would have expected based upon my other 6 Glocks...

output

I am a little late and these pictures are not the greatest but I am afraid this is the best I can do for now.

Here are some of the 4th Gen changes:

-Smaller grip & back straps: The pistol now comes configured in a small grip size and has two removable back straps (Med & Large) that fit directly onto the back of the pistols grip.

-Aggressive grip texturing: The texturing is made of very fine blocks and almost feels a little too sharp when gripping with a solid grip. The texturing definitely helps when your hands start to sweat and moisten but it is rough..

-Widened magazine release: The magazine is release is wider now and ambidextrous (it can be changed to the left side if so desired.) The new release feels very comfortable, is smooth and easier for me to reach & activate.

-Dual Recoil Spring: Very solid setup! I was not able to test fire the 4th gen next to a 3rd gen for a direct comparison. But the new recoil system seemed to help a little with the 40 S&W cartridge. It might be important to note that I have not fired a 3rd gen 22 in quite sometime though…

In closing: I am pleased with the changes and happy with the purchase overall. I was a little disappointed that Glock has not changed their ergonomics (at least IMO.) With that said, the smaller grip size seemed to accommodate my hands a lot better then any of the pervious generations did (and that is a huge plus for me) The pistol still doesn’t point well in my hands. I still feel like I have to angle the front of the pistol downward in order to find proper sight-picture which just is not natural (again at least for me.)

If you liked the 3rd gen 22 grip size. I was told by a sales rep at my local shop that the medium size back strap takes the grip back to the same exact size at the previous 3rd gen was (I have not verified that though.)

I was able to shoot 3-4” groups at 25-27 feet and I know the pistol is capable of pulling together tighter groups. I just need more practice.

AZGlock13

Congrats on the new 4th Gen G22.

I haven't seen any of the new 4th Gen Glocks in any of the gun shops down my way and I haven't been to a gun show in a while. I kinda like the new pebbled grips they have. Wow, I would never have guessed that Glock would ever go to the dual spring recoil assembly type, that they always used on their sub-compacts (G26, G27, G30, etc.), on their compact and full sized models. I haven't bought a Glock in about three years now. At one time, I was up to 11 models in my collection, now I'm down to 6 (one 2nd Gen G17, and the rest 3rd Gen (a G19, G23, G26, G30 and a G35)).

output

Thanks!

I’ll be adding a few more in the future…;)

The new recoil spring is very similar to the springs they use on the sub-compacts but it is a little different. It looks like there are three springs total…

I forgot to mention that I was told (by the same sales rep) that one of the reasons Glock went to the new spring setup was because of a failure to feed issue with the last. Supposedly when a low grain hollow point was used in combination with a heavy light setup on the front rail the pistols had cycling issues. The new spring has fixed that issue.

Last edited:

wingspar

That first photo sure shows why I’ve heard so many complaints about the grip being so aggressive as to dig into skin. It looks painful just looking at it, tho I can’t imagine Glock designing something that wasn’t great. Some seem to like it, and some seem to hate it, and I’ve heard of some sanding the grips down so they aren’t so aggressive.

I’ve got a 3rd gen G17 and am considering a .40, but I’m considering a Sig P226 or P229. Cost might eventually levitate me to the G22.

Bullet94

Congrats on the new 4th Gen G22.

I had a 3rd Gen G22 that had nose dive jams (even without a light).
Traded it for a G19. Hope the 4th Gen fixed this problem.
From what I've read the 4th Gen G22's work good but some are having problems with the 4th Gen G17's.

varoadking

From what I've read the 4th Gen G22's work good but some are having problems with the 4th Gen G17's.

I have seen little of Gen4 G17 issues...very little...and usually with reason beyond the design itself...