Picked up new MK9- (Big smile, gums showing.)

mini14jac

I picked up my new Kahr MK9 yesterday, and man, it makes a good first impression.

Fit and finish are top notch.
I took it to the indoor range at Fugate's Firearms here in E. Tenn.
They close at 5, so after the BG check, I could only stay 1/2 hr.

I quickly stripped it down, wiped it off, and lubed it with CLP.
Shot about 50 rounds of Winchester white box, and 25 rounds of Wolf. All fmj.

I had rented a MK9 before, so I suspected that accuracy was going to be excellent for this gun. So, I ran my targets back a little farther than I normally do for a pocket pistol.
I think most of my shooting was at 15 - 20 ft.
(Let me insert here, that I am not an excellent pistol shot. I only learned about dominant eye, correct stance, trigger control, etc. about 5 years ago. So I am learning, and getting better.)

Anyway, 10 ring and head shots were getting boring by the time I finished.
For kicks, I ran one target back to 25 yds. I emptied one mag, using my range bag as a rest. - All 6 shots were com. -
This gun is certainly more accurate than I am, and may be more accurate than my Glock 19!

Recoil was not excessive at all, though it may take me a while to get the muzzle jump under control.
(Recoil is an issue to me, as I have some "mouse wrist". An airweight snub with 158 gr lead bullets, shoot 30rds, my wrist will bother me for a couple of days.)
No discomfort from shooting the Kahr at all.

No jams, misfires, ftf, fte, etc. (Yawn...) with either mag.
The term Swiss watch comes to mind.

I'll post again after I've passed the 200 round mark and tried some jhp and +p jhp.

(Side note: Does anyone know if Kahr has taken Mas Ayoob's advice and started polishing the slide realease? I have read several reports of sharp edges on this, but mine seems smooth.)

Bottom line: No buyers remorse on this puppy.
I traded my repaired PT145 and won't be looking back.

JP :D
><>

pocketman

Perfect. :D :D :D

The win. white box ball ammo is a terrific buy ($10/100ct) , accurate and shoots clean. I have also been using the white box 115g personal defense ($10/50ct), ammo for carry for a few months and like it also.

Kentucky Rifle

I've been waiting for the MP9, however...

I keep reading things like warped slide rails and something else that I can't remember right now on the polymer frame models. So, not owning a 9MM of ANY brand, I went to my local gun shop to just see for myself if MK9's had a "weight problem". In my opinion, they don't. In my hand, the MK9 felt good. I do remember reading a recommendation that you should be sure and get an "elite trigger". (I'm not sure about that name, but I think I'm right.)

KR

Erik

Congrats on your new MK9. Kahr's MK series are great sub-compacts. I purchased a MK40 about a month ago. My experience has been very positive so far.

As for your wrists. Try building them up with excercises. A simple grip bar (or whatever they call them) may work wonders for you over time.

22lovr

How do you carry ?

Mini14jac: Thanks for sharing, I'm looking seriously at either the MK9 or MK40. (think I'll steer clear of the P9 and P40 "covert", I'm still a little wary of a new line with polymer frames) I've handled the MK9, field-stripped it, and am terribly impressed at how beefy and strong it looks. I am a die-hard front-pocket carry guy and will tote either a P32 or my 17 oz Taurus M85 ultralite in an Uncle Mike's size 3 pocket holster. The MK9 weighs in at a hefty 23 oz; do you find it heavy for carry all day, every day? That is my ONLY concern. Where my Taurus is a bit lumpy and long in the holster, the MK9 JUST DISAPPEARS in there! Jeff the 22luvr

mini14jac

Kentucky Rifle:
I think the people that call the MK9 heavy, are comparing it to an Airweight 38, or a KelTec 9mm. It is heavy compared to these guns but they are aluminum or plastic, not all stainless like a Kahr.
The MK9 feels like a gun.

Erik:
Thanks for the advice. I don't have a strength problem, (I weight lift actually), I just have a mild case of carpal tunnel syndrome from too much time at the computer. (like now)
The Kahr didn't bother me at all, which means I will shoot it more.
:)

22lovr:
I haven't carried the MK yet.
I will probably get a good IWB holster. To me, my P32 is almost too heavy for pocket carry. (yeah, I know, only 8oz. loaded, but that's 1/2 lb. ;) )
I don't think I would notice it at all in a good holster.
On other hand, I got used to carrying a NAA Guardian in my pocket at one time, and it was 16+ ounces, so I can probably adjust to the Kahr.
Either way, it will conceal easier than a Glock 19.

Thanks all,
JP
><>

JAM

MK9

I had the same experience with the MK9. Similar skills too - just learning - but was amazed at how accurately I could shoot it. Started working on raising quickly to the eye and getting two shots off, consistent results.

I also bought the IWB they sell on their website (Alessi, I think). It's well made and how I like to carry the MK9. I did buy the pocket one they sell, but it's just too big/heavy for front pocket carry. I also got a Kel-Tec P32 for pocket when I can't have the MK9 IWB.

E. BeauBeaux

Congratulation's, fine choice.

Now if you want to play around with dressing it up. You can get wood grip's from the factory [made by Hogue] so might need a little help to get them to fit exactly right. Colt 380 grip screws work perfectly [this way you can get hex head's] which help the look's. And the magazine release is just like a 1911's, Brownell's sell's a hex head catch for that. Now if you want to make a good trigger pull even better Wolff sell's a reduced power striker spring. I've really enjoyed playing with the MK9 and I'm sure you will enjoy your's. Great, weapon IMO.

riddleofsteel

I guess I will chime in here also. I have been packing for two decades now and I guess I am a bit of a "gun whore." My eye will wander to a new pretty face and its off to the races. New pistol, mags, holsters ect. But in the long run I keep coming back to my MK40 with night sights. It shots groups that make some of my larger semiautos green with envy and is totally reliable.
Add to that it carries in my back pocket in a Kramer pocket holster every day to the point I really don't know its there unless I sit down on something hard.

In two decades of concealed carry I have yet to find a combo that works better for me.

Having said that I was fondling a Para Ordinance C7.45 LDA stainless compact with coco bolo grips in the gunstore the other day and drooling on the counter. It was all I could do to leave the store without it. On the way down the road I realized it would spend most of its days in the safe like all the other chunky pistols and revolvers while my little MK40 honey rides my hip pocket. So I contented myself with coming home and ordering a set of checkered wood grips from Kahr for it. I am thinking of getting the front and rear of the frame stippled as well.
ROSPR.jpg

Erik

Mini14jac,
A couple of friends of mine have tried copper/magnet braclets and report that they cured their carpal tunnel syndrome concerns. Several others reported that their "golfer's wrist" dissappeared using similar products. In fairness, a few reported that it didn't work and that they thought it was largely psychological. You may want to give it a try.

mini14jac

E. BeauBeaux ,
Thanks for the good tips. I'll probably leave it stock for now, but I am thinking some night sights would be nice.
Now I wish I hadn't sold you my old KelTec holster.:D

riddleofsteel ,
Man, nice rig!
I am hoping that I have finally found my ideal ccw too.

Erik,
Aout the bracelet, it's worth a try.
If it keeps progressing the way it's going I'm looking at going under the knife. :(

JP
><>