Picked up my first compact handgun today.

Morgo

A HK P7

P1040977.jpg

P1040991.jpg

C0untZer0

I think they’re the most ingenious, most cleverly designed, best engineered, highest quality manufactured semi-auto pistol in history.

I bought my HK P7M8 in 1985 and I have stuck with it. At the time I think it was the smallest 9mm out there from a major manufacturer. I could/can CCW it, but it's fixed poly barrel and overall high quality made it a very accurate pistol so I wasn't sacrificing anything for that compactness.

I also thought it was the best answer ever for the safety debate. I didn't worry about having to remember to take a manual safety off, on the other hand I didn't have to worry about it being cocked on a live round. The trigger is great - a light, smooth, crisp, clean breaking trigger - with the squeeze cocking design I never had to deal with DA/SA or DOA issues. And there are issues with other pistol actions... decocking and all that.

I've loved this pistol from the very start. I wish now that I had purchased 6 of them, one to carry, one to keep by my bed, one to keep in my car, one to take to the range, one to just have in the safe so I could say to myself "HK P7M8 NIB NEVER fired - worth $2,800 he he he he " and one to put under glass so I could gaze fondly at it's beauty from time to time.

BTW.. I read a lot of talk about "break in periods" for pistols. I have never had a failure of any kind with this pistol period. I've never put reloads through it, but I've used almost every major brand of ammo from 115 to 147gr and never had a problem.

Not one single problem EVER.

lcpiper

I always wondered at what average age you could expect a child to be able to squeeze and cock the P7?

Is it reasonably safe till age 5, 8, maybe 11?

tjhands

My man, you made an excellent choice. It's one of the most beautiful and unique semi-autos ever made.

I had to buy one, too. :)

IMG_0025.jpg

TxFlyFish

Excellenr choice!! Word of advice, do not lose any of the cleaning trinkets in the box and be VERY careful if youre gonna detail strip

FairWarning

That's funny, I just bought my first P7 also. :D

From handling it, I know it will be a great carry piece, but with full sized accuracy and reliability. And it feels magical in the hand. I'm getting HK Disease!

I even bought of reprint of the 1980 HK catalog around the time the P7 was introduced....just because...

FairWarning

lcpiper said:
I always wondered at what average age you could expect a child to be able to squeeze and cock the P7?

Is it reasonably safe till age 5, 8, maybe 11?

I don't think a 5 year old would have much trouble shooting one! They may not put 2 and 2 together enough at first to squeeze and pull the trigger at the same time though.

My Hi Power has a degree of built in safety by virtue of taking a fair amount of effort to rack the slide. Some women and most small children would be totally unable to do it, or older men as well.

Hey tjhands, are those Nills grips? Thinking about getting those also.

Morgo

Thanks guys :)

I have a definite bug to get another, maybe a brushed chrome one. I'm also thinking about some Nill timber grips.

Any ideas on a good place to get extra mags for the P7?

C0untZer0

Mags for the P7

I think it's cheaper to build a time machine, go back in time and buy the magazines in the 1980's than to buy them now :mad:

Morgo

Cheers guys :)

Just finished a field strip and it looks to be unfired.There is some slight wear externally which may just be from being in its case but the internals have no marks at all :)

C0untZer0

If the pictures you posted are actually pictures of your gun and not just stock photos or something - I can tell you it's either been fired or dry fired quite a lot. The squeeze cocker has seen a lot of use, and I doubt the wear is from being in a case - more like going in and coming out of a holster repeatedly over a long period of time.

I'm saving my pennies because I'm going to get a PSP, but I'll be sending it to Robar for an all internal and external NP3+ finish.

Morgo

It most likely has been fired, though most of the squeeze cocker wear is from me :) though theres very little.
What I said was the internals have NO wear at all so if it has been fired its been very little. In any case fired or not I'm happy with it having the original finish in the condition it is.

Shadi Khalil

Very nice. Agree with everything CountZero said, especially about the safety. I've never owned one but I have been fortunate enough to shoot one a few times and I've wanted one ever since.