Picked up my first 44 mag revolver - Colt

Logs

Went to my local shop today looking for a 1911 and ended up buying a Colt 44 magnum. Good news I have a bunch of ammo left over from the Desert Eagle I sold a few years ago. Pretty cool looking gun.

u9RNKwEl.jpg

hlebtA9l.jpg

Dave P

I bought a Anaconda a while ago - wonderful revolver!

But it did not ignite all primers in DA mode. Sent it to factory, I think they said it was OK.

Anyway, I now only shoot reloads with CCI primers.

Logs

I bought the 6 inch model.

If you ever get a DE, get the 50 cal. The 44 Mag DE is so heavy that you don't get the "Wow" factor when firing it is actually pretty tame. The .50 is a handful and giant fireballs. :)

Shadow9mm

I shot the 50 years back, gun shop rental gun. Recoil was softer, or slower than i expected due to the gas system. But it had a ton of muzzle rise. Was so much fun to shoot.

Shot 44mag revolvers, just wasnt my thing. Love full power 357s in my 6in GP100. Got a 44mag lever gun. So much fun.

44 AMP

Staff
The 44 Mag DE is so heavy that you don't get the "Wow" factor when firing it is actually pretty tame.

NOT getting the big recoil is the point, for me. Which is one of the reasons I've repeatedly passed on the DE .50. Primary for me were the cost, the recoil, and the tooling up for .50.

I passed on the Anaconda a few times over the years, though I have handled some. Seems decent enough, looks like a Python, which was enough for me to pass on it, because I expect Anacondas to share the weakness of the Python, which is that when (not if) something needs work, there are damn few people qualified to do the work, and since I had other .44s I had no burning need or desire.

If you plan to shoot full house loads, you might consider looking around for some soft rubber (Pachmayr) grips. The grips show look like the "hard" plastic ones, and (for me) those grips, or wood grips, combined with the shape of the DA revolver grip frame gets really uncomfortable shooting 240/250s above 1200fps. And go just a bit faster and uncomfortable turns into painful.

At 1100fps plus a bit, my S&W is great, I expect your "big snake" will be too. But expect it to be "less pleasant" to shoot the more you increase the ammo power.

Which is the big thing for me with the Desert Eagle, both .357 and .44, though I could wish for a slightly smaller grip, I can manage them, and the semi auto's grip shape changes the recoil feel considerable. The 4lb+ weight of the DE changes it even more, and makes FULL POWER .357 or .44 (which the DE needs to run on) rather pleasant to shoot.

Enjoy your new snake, let us know how it works and feels in your hands.