Picked up a somewhat unique 1911 today

David the Gnome

I've had money down on a Ruger LCP for the past 5 months now and I finally got tired of waiting. I went to the gun store today to get my deposit back. Since I was already in the store I decided to do a quick look over the inventory and see what all they had. I was fondling a CZ P01 and was about to buy it when I decided to check out the 1911 counter. Lo and behold, there was a Rock Island Armory Officer's model in the counter. I asked to see it and noticed something strange about it. It had the beaver tail grip safety and commander hammer but it had the GI sights and trigger. This is an odd combination because usually the RIA tactical models have the skeletonized trigger with target sights and extended controls in addition to the beaver tail grip safety and commander hammer. RIA makes a plain GI officer's model and they also make a tactical officer's model but this one is a cross between the two.

I prefer the GI trigger to the adjustable match triggers mostly because the little hole in the trigger for the allen wrench usually irritates my finger during long range sessions, so I see the GI trigger as a plus. The GI sights I am not a fan of, but I plan on having some fun with this gun and aftermarket sights would have been in the works anyways. I ended up getting it for under $400 which is hard to beat for a micro-1911 (or even a full-size 1911 for that matter). I also got 4 of these Chip McCormick Match Grade 1911 Officer 45 ACP 7-Round Stainless Steel Magazines new for $10 a piece, which I thought was a sweet deal.

And last but not least, the pictures:

floydster

David,
A very nice deal indeed, I am looking at getting an RIA Match and the Tactical when I can find them.
I have read so many good things about the RIA 1911's, they are a super deal for the money.:)
Floydster

deputy tom

Nice little pistol David.If I bought that gun I'd put sights on it and shoot it alot.Sarge's grips will make it nicer too.I'm green with envy.tom.:D

drail

Very cool rig. I don't know why everyone that made 1911 triggers with an overtravel stop never bothered to debur those screw holes. I finally started doing it on my customer's guns and everybody could tell immediately. That hammer pin looks a little short. Might keep an eye on it and maybe get a longer one.

David the Gnome

Drail, I see that now. I'll definitely keep an eye on it. It may just need to be pushed a little further in. I'll take a look at it next time I disassemble for cleaning.

David the Gnome

I took the thumb safety out last night to get a better look and it looks like it really is short because the base of the pin is flush with the frame. I'm not sure if that will be an issue but I'm going to ask over on M1911.org and see what other RIA owners have to say.

B.N.Real

$400 is a great deal on a brand new RIA 45 ACP.

Getting a Compact model,which is even more expensive ,just makes it an even sweeter deal.

Is it parkerized in that color?

If so,that adds another $75 you saved.

Great deal!

David the Gnome

The parkarizing was that color because it hadn't been seasoned with oil yet. It turned darker once it had a coat or two in it. It looks more black than OD now. :)

torpeau

Nice little pistol David.If I bought that gun I'd put sights on it and shoot it alot.Sarge's grips will make it nicer too.I'm green with envy.

Here's one, and its big brother, with Sarge's grips that used thuya burl -- a wood that smells great, too.

RIAs.JPG