Picked up a rare Sig P220 Sport!

bac1023

I stopped at the local show this morning and one of the first tables I approached sat this beautiful 2003 Sig P220 Sport still NIB with everything for $1075. I honestly couldn’t believe the price and the fact that the pistol was brand new. I didn’t want to appear too exitcited so I played it cool and asked the seller what the story was behind it. He said, he was selling a few guns that a friend was trying to move out quickly to pay for some expenses. The seller said this person routinely bought nice guns years ago and they just sat in his home basically untouched. I just listened in amazement knowing that these pistols easily bring $1500 to $2000 or more on Gunbroker in used condition these days. After that, he said “Oh, and it comes with an four extra extended 10-round mags”. I was nearly in shock at the deal before me. I looked at it for a very short period of time and got the paperwork started. :cool:

The Sport models were all hand built in Germany for a few years starting in the late 90‘s, much like the X Series and P210 Legend is today. At the time, they were the highest quality pistols that Sig was building, other than the P210 in Switzerland. One day, I’d like to add the P226 and P229 to complete my collection. :)

As with all three of the Sport models, the P220 Sport features all steel construction. Unlike the standard P220, this gun has a steel frame. The Sport models also feature an aluminum compensator on the end of the extended barrel to help improve balance and reduce recoil. Other than that, its complete with front strap checkering, an extended slide stop, mag release, and decocker. The Sport models also feature adjustable sights and a lighter DA/SA trigger. As you can probably imagine, this pistol is no lightweight. It weighs in at 46oz empty. The barrel is about 5.5".

Overall workmanship is comparable to the X Series, which makes sense. These are extremely well built pistols with a nice dose of exotic flair about them that’s somewhat missing from the current German Sig lineup. While I doubt I’ll be able to shoot this gun as well as my SAO Sig X Five L1, its certainly got cool factor in spades. :cool:

All in all, I absolutely stoked about this incredible deal. The Sig Sport models have been on my list for quite a while and I probably waited a little too long to start acquiring them. However, this deal is akin to turning the clocks back 5 to 10 years. I just hope I can find deals half this good on a P226 Sport and P229 Sport.

At any rate, please enjoy the pic and share your thoughts. Thanks.

Walt Sherrill

That WAS a great price. Impressive gun. (SIG keeps bringing out variants of their various guns; they continue to amaze me.)

And, after a second look, it doesn't have that "first round" flyer that was discussed at length here or on TFL... Hmmm.

Last edited:

old bear

bac, I don't know much about Sigs other than the fact they are reputed to be high quality German made auto loaders. But yours in a great looking pistol, and what is a great price.

As with all three of the Sport models, the P220 Sport features all steel construction. Unlike the standard P220, this gun has a steel frame. The Sport models also feature an aluminum compensator on the end of the extended barrel

Is the compensator removable, if so how is the front sight replaced?

Great snag!!

Brit

Still I think you should have tried to talk him down on the price! (sort of not know what it is?) hate to pay asking price. The Irish in me!

rt11002003

Congratulations! Last year, I tried my best to get one of those along with the p210 Legend Super Target. Unfortunately, SIG US had/has a custom problem and has not been able to import any of the German made guns for more than a year.

I just got back into shooting last year, after a 60+ year absence; missed some of nice guns like your find. This is twice in the past month where someone went into a show and found something I'd been lusting for. The other gun was a Dan Wesson Guardian 9mm, one of which I'd had on order for a couple of months.

I shouldn't complain; I did pickup a X-5 L1 and a X-6 L1 while they were still available in the pipeline. Even with the price my dealer charges me (roughly a third off) they still cost me twice what your Sport cost you.

Again, congratulations on acquiring the Sport, especially at that price. Enjoy it!

I hate trying to get those older and rarer guns from online sources, the auctions. So, I diverted my attention to H&K and bought a couple of USP Experts and USP Tacticals; some models are getting hard to find, especially the USP 45 Expert, along with the USP 9mm Expert (the model I found).

I'm not a collector; visit the range a couple of times a week; the guns get used. m/b I should visit a few gun shows.

Sevens

The price you paid for that package can't be simply described as "amazing", it's definitely a situation where the seller clearly wasn't aware of the current market. Absolutely NOTHING soever wrong with that, just wanted to say it out loud. ;)

I wish I could share the enthusiasm for the pistol. My buddy came in to exactly the same pistol a couple years past (except nowhere near as nice/new/clean as yours) and try as I might, it couldn't excite me. And oh... I did try. It was just far too "Sig-like" and I couldn't get past that!

I don't base my comments on this pistol compared to "run of the mill production" guns and new guns on the market today. Much more so, I base this opinion on SO MANY of your other acquisitions.

With the guns you've shown us, I would rocket this one right near the top of the list of ones that would be on the chopping block if that case presented itself.

Fine score either way!

bac1023

With the guns you've shown us, I would rocket this one right near the top of the list of ones that would be on the chopping block if that case presented itself.

I do have some finer and/or more exotic guns than this, truth be told. However, its still a cool and very high quality pistol that you don't see every day.

Shame on the seller for not knowing the market. :p

That happens to me quite a bit, actually. I picked up this NIB 952 Longslide in April for $2400 at a local shop. :cool:

https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/picked-up-a-performance-center-952-2-longslide.21207/

One had just sold on GB for over $6000. In fact, there's a couple more right now with bids of $5000+