Picked up a nickled S&W 59

omegapd

GUN053.jpg

Found this in a pawn shop the other day for a good deal. Shoots amazingly accurate and no malfunctions in about 110 rounds. The grips are huge, though.:eek: :D

Anybody have any comments? I really like it so far. Serial number is A5432XX if anyone can help date it for me. I'm thinking it's an early one due to a patents pending mark on the right side. How long were they made?

Thanks for any help,

EW

BillCA

Your M-59 dates to 1979.

I think you'll find the original S&W black plastic grips a little slimmer than the Pachmayr grips, although some thought they were to slick to get a good grip.

The original Model 39-2 (shown below) and it's hi-cap cousin the Model 59 were used by many PD's when police first transitioned from revolvers to pistols. Keep your M-59 clean and it should be pretty reliable.

M39_0017cm.jpg

mete

The first M59 is saw was also nickel plated and I saw it 6 months BEFORE it came on the market . The M39/M59 were designed by Dan Wesson but they came out before there was a serious interest in autos by police . IIRC the M59 was a result of some developments for the military.