Picked up a New Magnum Today

David the Gnome

A 22 Magnum that is... :D

Being a huge fan of pocket guns, I've been wanting one of these little guys as a backup/pocket gun ever since I learned about them. The NAA PUG is a single action mini-revolver which holds 5 rounds of 22 Magnum. The one I got is the "D" model, which means it has a large white-dot front sight as opposed to the "T" model's night sight. North American Arms also offers a 22LR cylinder for the Pug which converts it over for use with the popular 22LR cartridge.

I think a nice set of black laminate grips to replace the factory rubber grips may be in order. The rubber ones are nice and grippy but a little too much so for pocket carry.

22gsb.JPG

Also, a picture for size reference (borrowed from the internet):

pug.jpg

melchloboo

I've been thinking about one of these, torn between it and the bondarms derringer line.

What is the safety mechanism? I'm a little warry to pocket carry w/o a trigger guard. May I ask what you paid?

Very nice looking.

Those little Pugs are so cute. I have one of the regular .22mag NAA's and they are so cool. I might trade it towards one of those Pugs someday.

You should name it "Mabel"...after my Pug. :D

Puffaced.jpg

PugUgly.jpg

David the Gnome

Lol Playboy, that's a cute dog.

Melchloboo, the gun is single action only, meaning it can't fire unless you cock the hammer. If you look closely at the back of the cylinder there are notches between each chamber; those are there so you can set the hammer down into one so that you can carry a full cylinder without having the hammer sitting down on a live round. In that condition the only way it is possible for the gun to fire is to pull the hammer all the way back to the locked position and pull the trigger.

The gun was $282.

clown714

i've got one of the older one's.

what's the deal w\under the cylinder pin?lug?:confused:

just curious.

thanks,

clown

David the Gnome

I assume you're talking about the piece under the barrel? That piece turns to the side and slides out for removal of the cylinder so it can be loaded and cleaned.

You can kind of see how it works in this diagram:

expviewm1.JPG

akr

David, if you like that, you may like a Seecamp. By the way, I would like to have one of those little .22 mags as well.

Elvishead

Read the manual before you shoot it. Soft primar ammo can reck the gun, at least that's what an NAA Rep told me.

skydiver3346

Your .22 mag is very nice...

Great little pocket gun David,
I agree with you that the wood grips would make it even look nicer and smaller for the pocket. I have one of the older model NA .22 mags similar to yours and it always functioned as it should.

I just picked up a Rohrbaugh .380 on Monday (little too pricey but really cool) as I like the extra firepower of a .380 for a pocket type gun. Plus it it really, really small and hides in the pocket perfectly. Can't wait to go to the gun shop range this week and sling some rounds.

Last edited:

David the Gnome

Elvishead said:
Read the manual before you shoot it. Soft primar ammo can reck the gun, at least that's what an NAA Rep told me.

I just read the manual from front to back and there is no mention of soft primer ammo. What exactly do you mean by this?

Adventurer 2

I'm not sure what soft primer means on a 22 Mag. It's a rimfire - the priming compound is in the rim.
I had a problem with my 22 LR NAA - the hammer striking face wouldn't set off the rimfire. I guess after thousands of rounds the hammer wore back slightly - had to replace the hammer. Maybe, that is what Elvis meant.

Elvishead

I just read the manual from front to back and there is no mention of soft primer ammo. What exactly do you mean by this?

Oppps, dugh! It's a rim fire, I knew that.

Ahhh, an NAA rep at a gun show said not to fire a certain brand off ammo. Sorry I wish I could remember.

He had the revolver in his hand when he was talking to I have to assume he was talking about the 22 Magnum.

I think he said not to shoot PMC. He said one gun broke using PMC, and NAA recommend not using PMC, but maybe he could have been talking about one of his centerfire Semi's.

Sorry if I gave misinformation, and I'm glad you read the manual anyway.

David the Gnome

Yeah, manual says do not use an PMC ammunition because it can cause a double-discharge (the round in the chamber and the round next to it both firing).