Pick one of these four

LBC

Let's say you're in the market for a full-sized Colt 1911-style pistol but don't want to spend more than approx. $500.

Which of these would you choose, and why? And what of any modifications would you make?

One caveat: you may or may not be able to test the trigger pull.

1. original 70 Series (used)

2. reproduction 70 series (new)

3. original 80 series (used)

4. 1991A1 (new)

Kermit

Since the gun is going to be worked on anyway, I'd get the used series 70 and get beavertail, hammer, trigger/trigger work, MSH, mag well, novak night sights, match barrel & 2 piece guide rod...but that's me :)

LBC

Fair enough.

Here's ANOTHER caveat.

Except for swapping springs and magazines, you're going to run 200 rounds of hardball through the gun, clean and lube it, then stick it in a belt holster.

Kermit

Put in a belt holster for what purpose? For duty? Competition? Just because you can?

You know, I guess I'd still make those changes I mentioned, the only thing that would differ would be the trigger pull...lighter for competition ;) heavier of defense

LBC

Kermit, why do you like the original Series 70? The tool steel internals? And would you change the collet bushing if it had one?

Kermit

Don't get me wrong, I like my '91a1 ser 80, but a couple of the smiths I've been using really prefer working on the 70's when doing trigger work.

CastleBravo

Let's say you're in the market for a full-sized Colt 1911-style pistol but don't want to spend more than approx. $500.

Which of these would you choose, and why? And what of any modifications would you make?

One caveat: you may or may not be able to test the trigger pull.

1. original 70 Series (used)

2. reproduction 70 series (new)

3. original 80 series (used)

4. 1991A1 (new)

You won't get any of the Series 70 guns (new or repro) for around $500. So they fail your price criteria right off the bat. Think more like $800+. Your best bet of what is left is a new 1991A1. You can read my review of that gun here:

http://www.pistolsmith.com/viewtopic.php?t=13743

The thing is one hell of a shooter, and will run ball or Golden Sabers all day long without a hiccup. They go for about $570.

Brian Busch

I thought the new S.70 repros from Colt are going for $1000.
And I think any original S.70 or new 1991 is going to be higher than $500 as well.

My vote goes for pre-S.70; maybe a surplus Colt M1927 Argentine contract gun.

Gomez

The used Series 80 gets my vote. Decent sights & more likely to feed decent ammo than an untouched Series 70, More bits of metal than the M1991 (plastic mainspring housing, etc). Of course, given my $500 and a M1911 jones, I'd probably look at an old GI or Argentine M1911. But that's just me.

AKurat

I wouldn't choose a Colt at all. Springfield Mil-spec is the route I'd take given what youre looking for.

cheygriz

I'd take a very hard look at the 1991A1. Depending on what use you plan for it, you may decide that you don't need to modify it at all.