Pick a makarov!

SpookBoy

hi all, I have somewhat limited experience with makarovs,shot a buddy's quite a few times.But I'm wondering to all of you mak fans is wich one is the best?
chinese,bulgarian,german,russian? I'm assuming that the last two are held in the highest regards.but if you own or owned one please drop me the info.
as i'm in the market for a new one.

gmarr

I've had my Russian Mak for about a year now, love it! It has the "Red Star" grips and adjustable sights. Shoots great, accurate and reliable. I have a Blade-tech paddle holster for CCW.

My only complaint it the front sight. It's a thin black blade that disappears into the rear sight. I'm going to get some kind of white dot put on. Otherwise an excellent little shooter.

jayhway

Check out this FAQ: http://www.makarov.com/makfaq.html

If you want a new one your only option are the IJ-70 models coming out of Russia.

I have a surplus Bulgarian model that has been very good to me. These were cheap a few years ago, but even they are getting hard to come by.

Catbird

I believe that the German Makarovs are generally considered to be more desirable than the others, but I cannot tell you why.

I, personally, own two Bulgarians and think they're great. They both are excellent performers.

Grip-Pics018.jpg

MakPics006.jpg

rgates

Nice Maks Catbird, love those grips.

Spookboy,
I was always told and read that the East Germans were a better finish. A little more polished and therefor the one most would like to find. Unfortunately they are getting very difficult to find unless worn and rusty. Russians and Bulgarians are similar in quality. I got an unissued Bulgarian about 5 years ago for $190.00. Looked good and has always functioned flawlessly. Wouldn't part with it.
I've seen some Russians at gun shows over the last year that looked like new. Maybe they were. They were about $385.00. I would stay away from the Chinese. Any of the other 3 would be a fine catch.
For a lot of good info check out: www.makarov.com

They've got about everything you need to know to shop for one.

Catbird

Thank you. The grips were made for me by Hakan Pek of Norway; he does excellent work and I highly recommend him.

Richard

Speaking from some small knowledge of Maks let me say they all work fine. I see no difference in the shoot ability of the East German, Bulgarian, Russian, or Chinese. Of the four types the Chinese command the highest prices because you can no longer import them. My four beauties are shown below. Regards, Richard:D

eef22709.jpg

Deaf Smith

The EG maks show better finish and usually have easier DA triggers than the other makes. I have a EG as well as Bulgie and yes the EG is one slick piece with real good blueing(but the Bulgie shoots just as good.)

DaveShooter

Makarovs

Make mine e. german as I all ready have 2 of them Great pistols one tough little cold war glock. Only 27 parts in the pistol.I have had russian and a bulgy, I would still go with e. german.
DaveShooter

rgates

I quit counting years ago. My bulgy still functions flawlessly. BTW that D/A trigger pull mentioned above. Have any of you tried that new weapon clp called Weapon Shield? My Mak was the first gun I tried it on. It really improved the D/A pull. And the slide action. If not check out the threads here on TFL. Search for Weapon Shield.

bluetopper

Dremel a little off the sides of the bottom half of your mainspring for a light sweet DA pull. I do it on all my Maks, except for my East Germans.

denfoote

Thanks for all the info guys,who has the high round count?

I'm like rgates. I stopped counting years ago. The closest I can gome to is probably several cases!! Of course, I have seven Makarovs!!

wnycollector

For collectors the ernst thailman east german maks are the king. for shooters bulgarian surplus or russian commercial maks seem to be favorites.