Picatinny Rail

rodwhaincamo

I overheard a guy telling his friend that he can take the scope off of the rail, use the sights, and put the scope back on and still be zeroed. I don't believe this at all. I've never heard of any system where you can do this.

golfnutrlv

Well, depends on the scope, the rings, and the way its mounted I suppose.

I have taken my Burris XTS red dot in Burris XTR rings off of my AR-15 top rail several times so I can remove the handguard.

It has returned to zero perfectly every time. Shoots right where it should after this operation.

However, cheap scope, cheap rings, etc might cause the zero to be lost. Its always a good idea to check the zero when you manipulate the optic more than normal.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
R&R with no change in POI is a function of the precision in manufacture. High-quality mounts? Yeah, quite possible. "Average" or "mediocre"? Less likely.

jmr40

Why not. Hunters have been doing this for years with Weaver style rings and bases. Works fine with Ruger rings as well. Several companies make quick detachable mounts that can be removed without tools, but I've never had a problem with Weavers or Rugers returning to zero just fine. I keep a multi-tool with me in the field with a screwdriver anyway. I've even had 2 scopes zeroed for the same rifle that I've used interchangeably.

Scorch

I have seen it many times. However, I have also seen the situation where the scope is removed from the rifle and is several inches off when the scope is reinstalled. Well-built Picatinny rails are precision machined systems; they are one piece, straight and parallel, with grooves to ensure your rings go back in the same spot. The weak link is the rings: if the rings fit well, the return to zero is very repeatable, if the rings are sloppy or not installed properly, they will seldom return to zero.

Ridge_Runner_5

LaRue products guarantee return to zero every time, as long as the mount is properly installed...

f8f1e7af.jpg

Technosavant

As said, it's all in the mount. If you use a quality mount (like a Larue) and you remount the optic in the same position you will have no shift in zero. If you use a cheap optic with a cheaper mount and you just throw it back on, then no, it won't be zeroed.

There's a reason people pay a fair amount of money for high quality mounts.

Picher

When using a Picatinny rail, be sure to put the scope back in the same place. Weaver bases always seem to work for me as long as the bases are perfectly aligned and the rings are mounted on the tube without inducing torque.

When buying Weaver rings, the model with four screws per ring is much better than the ones with only two. The scope has a tendency to turn in the rings when tightening the two-screw rings. Once set properly, either rings work fine for me.

Stay away from the double-strap Weaver/Simmons rings. They're soft and the screws strip.

Weaver bases have never failed me, aluminum or steel.