Picatinny Rail Install - PTR91

I added a picatinny rail to the hand guard of my PTR 91. Mine has the wide hand guard, but similiar process would be followed for the standard hand guard.
Install Time: 15 Minutes
Items needed:
Tape (Masking Tape, painters tape, or similar)
Drill
7/16 Drill Bit
3/16 Drill Bit
Automatic Center Punch
Thread Locker
Allen Wrench

Here is the rail I bought on Amazon. Aluminum and came complete with T nuts for like $15 shipped.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00467RMSQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Remove the hand guard, apply tape to the rail, then position on the hand guard and fasten with the tape.

Using the Center Punch, mark where you will drill your holes.

Once the holes are marked, using the 3/16" drill bit, drill your holes through the polymer and through the metal heat shield.

Once you have your 3/16" holes drilled. chuck up the 7/16" drill bit and drill through the heat shield from inside the hand guard. This is so you can insert the T nuts into the 3/16" holes you drilled through the polymer.
I found it easier to insert the punch through the 3/16" hole from the outside of the hand guard, place the T nut on the punch, and then guide it into place while removing the punch. They should be slightly snug fitting in the holes.

Last edited:
T nuts all installed

Don't forget the Thread Locker!!!
Install the Rail...
I found that using the 7/16" drill bit to hold the T nut in place while installing the rail and screws helped to keep from pushing the T nuts out of the holes. Tighten all the screws.

Re-install hand guard and you are done!!!

Model12Win

Looks real sharp!!

I am going to do this soon to my slim handguards on my PTR-91 GI. I need a place to mount a vertical grip because the habdguards get too hot to hold after only 3 magazines or so. I also want to add a light for home defense purposes.

Model12Win

OP, do you think there is enough room on your rail for a vertical grip AND flashlight? That's what I want to put on mine and I really like the looks of your setup. Seems really solid too.

Depends on the type/size of grip and flashlight mounts. My grip will be here tomorrow. I will take pics of it installed and you can judge if a flashlight will also fit. They do sell grips with integrated flash lights. I know those would fit fine...