• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

photos x 2

srtrax

O.K. guys i've got the uploading down, and got to the point to where everything is between the Img and the /Img and the cursor is flashing between them but their not downloading on the post. I can see them but no body else can. Two uploaded pictures just disapeared..didnt delete, vanished into the twilight zone. so what gives?

Capt. Charlie

Moderator Emeritus
If you're referring to the Ruger #1 thread, srtrax, I noted that you used tags rather than the proper [IMG]....t see it, the problem has to be on their end.

Mal H

Staff
srtrax - You keep placing the URL of attachments in your posts, but for the life of me, I don't see where you have uploaded them. Which posts contain the actual attachments? You're not deleting them after they've been uploaded, are you?

srtrax

No sir, i'm not deleting them, if memory serves me i have UPLOADED 3 , even told me that i had 2 at one time and that it was useing such and such space, then the next time i went in ...ZAP, not there.
All in the Ruger #1 Post...Damned if i know what happened to em!

Capt. Charlie

Moderator Emeritus
Hmm. I seem to recall this happening before, and if memory serves, the problem centered around the software test forum.

By chance, did you upload the photos while in the test forum? If so, try uploading them from the actual forum you're posting in. I think files uploaded in the test forum are only temporary, but Mal's more experienced with this stuff than I am. Could that be it, Mal?

srtrax

You know, i think we did most of our testing first and did it on the test sight. Thanks for the info.

srtrax

All tests we done are on the test sight still, What i don't understand is why some can still see 1st pic. at the top of post and some can't. I'm new to this forum stuff, and did'nt get the full impact, but don/t let me bring up the word "zombies at work". ;)

Mal H

Staff
Charlie's right, don't use the test forum for anything but testing. Any pix or threads in that forum are not permanent. However, that isn't the root cause of your problem in this case. I haven't cleaned out the test forum for a while, so if you uploaded in the past month or so, they should still be there - they're not. Someone is deleting them, and it isn't a moderator. That doesn't leave many who might be doing it. ;)

If you wish, I can look over your shoulder, so to speak, the next time you upload a picture. Just let me know when it's going to happen and maybe I'll spot what's going wrong.

srtrax

Sounds good Mal ,and thanks to the staff! I know i did'nt delete any of the pics. sooooo....i'll let ya ya know when, at the moment i need a break.:)

Mal H

Staff
Well, you see, I have to be online at the time to do the experiment in real time. I wasn't.

In post #41 of the Ruger #1 thread you linked to an image of attachmentid 24058. However, that attachment is not in that post (it would show up as a thumbnail at the bottom of the post). Did you upload it in that post or in a different one? It is not visible and it is not a valid attachment, at least not now.

I think it might be good if you go over your procedure of uploading an attachment here so we can see what's happening on your side of it, step by step.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24058

I saw in your other post where you said you are not a drinking man. Ever thought of taking it up? :D

srtrax

When we upload a photo we go to the post we want the picture on, then we go to manage attatchments under the additional options section. Next we get a pop up screen and we click browse to find the picture we want. we click the upload button next we wait while it goes to the server. Now we go to the "user cp'' and we click on that, now click ''miscellaneous'' now at the bottom click attatchments, it gives us a list of all the pictures we've uploaded. we find the picture we want and right click on the file name. we click ''properties'' now we get the picture address (url) now we copy it all and go back to the post left click where we want the picture to go on the post then we go to the little yellow box with the mountain and the sun and click it, a popup comes up somehthing incripted so we temporarly allow it and click on the icon again, now we paste the url inside the box and click ok and we get (IMG) and (/IMG) surrounding the url. we now hit ''submit reply''

I can see all pictures posted from my computer but others can't.

fisherman66

I just use the paperclip in the post toolbar, browse for photo on hard drive, upload, and close window. After that I click on the paperclip again and select the attachment.

You could use a photo bucket on the web, but I've never bothered with that.

srtrax

It won't let me click the paper clip, i get an error on page, i said i can bring up test 3 and can in the test page, but when i coppied the code and pasted on this sight. I ckick on it and says page missing.Got to love it , it's probbly so damn simple i'm missing it, something about trees and a forest! :eek: