Photos of my complete P226 4-caliber kit

Microgunner

In it's carry case. Total weight 7.8lbs.
SIGP226003-1.jpg

SIGP226002-1.jpg

SIGP226001-1.jpg

Out of it's case, top to bottom:
.357/.40 slide assembly w/.40S&W barrel installed
.357 SIG barrel
9mm slide assembly w/barrel installed
.22lr slide assembly w/barrel installed
P226 frame
magazines include: (2) .357/.40 12-shot mags, (2) 9mm 15-shot mags & (2) 10-shot .22lr mags.

SIGP226004-1.jpg

Microgunner

NJgunowner said:
Where did you get a spare 9mm slide assembly out of curiosity? I've never seen one for sale.

It's a SIG Sauer Centerfire X-Change kit. I'm an FFL dealer and ordered it from RSR Group Wholesale but they are available from many dealers, especially on-line dealers.

Microgunner

steelbird said:
That looks like a good choice for SHTF or an alien invasion- able to use all kinds of different ammo.

That was my thoughts exactly. Should be able to find ammo to run through it anywhere.

sigcurious

great pictures of your set up! I've read that you can replace the follower on the .22 mags to get it to lock the slide on empty, have you had any experience with this?

Microgunner

sigcurious said:
I've read that you can replace the follower on the .22 mags to get it to lock the slide on empty, have you had any experience with this?

The .22lr magazine tube is solidly blocked from allowing a different follower from reaching the slide lock. If this different follower is available you'd need to trim the plastic away from the mag tube in this area. But even if you were to trim the mag tube the magazine is too narrow to allow this over-sized follower to work, note how the narrow single stack magazine is built up by ribs to fit the double stack magwell. You'd have to trim the mag tube all the way down the follower's full length of travel making for very weak magazine. It seems to me you'd need an entirely new magazine design.

SIGP226006.jpg

SIGP226005.jpg

Last edited:

Microgunner

NJgunowner said:
Does the X-Change work on any p226? For some reason I thought it only worked on the .22lr version.

On any P226. The P226 Classic 22 is a standard German P226 frame same as the centerfires.

Microgunner

sigcurious,
Yep that would work. I've owned several .22s that have used the back of an extended follower as a slide stop and they seem to work fine. One problem though, when the slide locks open the magazine will not free fall because the slide has it bound up. You would have to pull the slide back slightly to get the magazine to fall. If you drag the mag out forcefully the slide will slam forward. I think I prefer the way it comes.

sigcurious

hmmm, I guess if I end up with the classic I might have to give it a try. Never had to many issues remembering the round count for my 10/22. but then again I didnt mind the occasional dry fire on it. On the 226, I would be a little more paranoid I think about too many accidental dry fires. :D

Microgunner

sigcurious said:
On the 226, I would be a little more paranoid I think about too many accidental dry fires.

Don't hurt it none. The breach face of my .22lr barrel shows no sign whatsoever of any firing pin strikes. The pistol is well timed.