Photo tribute to a passing legend: S&W M65

ZWolfgang

I've had Smith & Wesson revolvers for more decades than I'd like to count. Started with a 28 when I was 21 years old. Then added a 60 in 2", 66 in 2.5" and 686 in 6" in the mid-eighties, then a 642 in 2" a few years ago. And all these years I've wanted a 65.

Finally, this week, I got my yearned for 65. And guess what... I haven't had it more than a day and it's become my favorite revolver, period. That would including my other smiths and my new Ruger GP100 4" and SP101 3" revolvers. These are all great revolvers, but the 65 3" just hits the middle ground sweet spot dead on.

S&W got this one so right... with the medium frame size, 3" barrel, fixed sight, round butt, and full-length ejector rod this is the .357 defense revolver par excellance. The action feels like a Rolls Royce gliding down the road. Very sweet indeed. Though it's not the best for hunting or long term heavy use of really hot .357 ammo, it's perfect for defense and will happily shoot "lite" .357 loads and .38spl +P loads to your heart's content. My intention is to shoot primarily 135 gr. Gold Dot JHP bullets at about 1000 fps. This is a great load for defense, very comfortable in this size/weight of revolver, and easy on the gun.

Anyway, I'm really loving this classic little blaster. And I'm really ticked at S&W for ending the production of K-frame .357's. Oh well, here she is as she laid on my desk tonight:

Smith & Wesson Model 65-5 .357 Magnum 3" barrel
SW65_1264.jpg

SW65_1273.jpg

SW65_1274.jpg

SW65_1277.jpg

SW65_1283.jpg

This is one very HOT pistol! I love it.

Last edited:

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Nice score and nice photos! :)

There's just something about a 3" HB/RB K-frame, isn't there? Nicely balanced, small enough to tote, available Magnum power, and a full-length ejector rod stroke (unlike their 2.5" adjustable-sighted cousins.)

Gotta love 'em. I know I do.

attachment.php

ZWolfgang

Oh Tamara... you got that right. 13's and 65's are THE BEST!

Hey... what's with that red ramp on your 65? I like that!

I have a 66 in 2.5" which is a very fine revolver, but just "missing the boat"
as compared to my new 65, you know what I mean... I'm strongly considering sending it to Smith & Wesson and having them install a 3" barrel on it. Then I think it would really rock... and I might not even hold the adjustable sight against it toooo much. :rolleyes: What do you think... good move for a handicapped 2.5" 66?

Hey, I was born in Memphis and yearn for eastern Tennessee (Knoxville sure looks nice to me)... spent my entire life on the west coast though... now in beautiful Washington State. Where are you?

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Hey... what's with that red ramp on your 65? I like that!

That 65 is a transitional gun from '81: no pinned barrel, but the chambers are recessed. I got it from the esteemed Mr. Marko Kloos in a trade for a BDM, and he had had a local 'smith (Shannon Jennings @ Randy's Guns, 865-688-0077) smooth up the action, bead blast the gun to a satin finish, and red ramp the front sight. I think I came out to the better on that particular deal. :)

Hey, I was born in Memphis and yearn for eastern Tennessee (Knoxville sure looks nice to me)... spent my entire life on the west coast though... now in beautiful Washington State. Where are you?

Here in sunny and cool Knox Vegas. :cool:

smsdba

ZW, outstanding looking revolver!...

and I am instantly envious. :eek:

I'm a fairly new shooter (1 year) and have settled into a SW1911 for carry, training classes and IDPA practice. I went to LFI1 and Ayoob had me feeling 'exposed' without a BUG, so I got a SW642. After shooting it some, I concluded, "Hey revolvers are pretty cool".

After some research, I settled on the exact gun you just posted pictures of. Unfortunately, Smith doesn't seem to be offering new 65s in 3" w/ fixed sights. The closest thing to it is the M65 LS, which I'm weighing against the Ruger SP100 right now. While the idea of carrying a gun that says 'Lady' on it doesn't really bother me much, I'd seriously love to find one like yours.

How does one go about finding one in decent shape? Gunbroker has them from time to time (mostly in 4"), but buying a used revolver without handling it is a little risky. Working 2 jobs leaves me little time for traveling to shows where there's no guarantee you'll find one.

Do you have any experience with bobbed hammers on K frames? Or do the serious revolver folks consider this unnecessary and/or desecration? I've read some posts that indicate it could result in incomplete primer strikes due to reduced hammer weight.

Thanks.

(Please Santa, I've been good....could I have one please? :p )

ZWolfgang

I bought it from these guys for $275.

http://www.bhgunrack.com/index.asp?view=2

They had about 30 of them traded in by a security company. They may have a few left. Excellent guns shop to deal with. I'm in Washington State and they're in Florida. For $275 you can't go wrong. Best money I've ever spent on a firearm and I've spent tens of thousands on them over the years. The 3" model 13 or 65 is defense revolver perfection in my view. Of course no one gun can do it all!

Thanks for appreciating the images. I wanted to create some intense images that would convey a little of the power and intensity of this weapon to the viewer, and not elicit yawns! :eek:

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
smsdba,

Do you have any experience with bobbed hammers on K frames? Or do the serious revolver folks consider this unnecessary and/or desecration? I've read some posts that indicate it could result in incomplete primer strikes due to reduced hammer weight.

It's a not-at-all-uncommon modification on the little 3" fixed-sight guns. The PC13 in my photo above even came that way from the Performance Center. The only real downside is that 1) Older Smith hammers (and triggers, etc.) are starting to get expensive enough that a lot of older Model 10's are probably worth more as parts than as guns, and 2) You can't go quite as light on the mainspring as you can with a spurred hammer and still get reliable primer strikes. Other than those caveats, you're golden. :)

smsdba

Thanks to you both for the responses..

it's great to have access to people with experience and knowlege.

ZW, appreciate the reference and I'll be checking them out shortly. Prices seem rather good.

Tamara, I've noticed you are very responsive in this forum, especially in the revolver area...I've read a lot of posts here, and you contribute something to many of them. I appreciate you sharing your experiences with people climbing the revolver learning curve.

ZWolfgang

Tamara... do you know why there is mottled coloration on the trigger and hammer of my 65? Could they be carbon steel rather than stainless? Your carbon steel 13 has the same coloration. Would S&W have used a carbon steel trigger and hammer on my 65?

SW65_1283s.jpg

FOUND the answer... now I know that to reduce costs, S&W went to color case hardened carbon steel for many of their hammers and triggers. All of my other stainless Smiths are from the 80's and have stainless hammers and triggers.

Last edited:

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
ZWolfgang,

All of my other stainless Smiths are from the 80's and have stainless hammers and triggers.

Actually, all of your other stainless Smiths from the '80s have flash-chromed carbon steel hammers and triggers. It's not necessarily that color case-hardening is cheaper than flash-chroming, but it is cheaper to finish all of your hammers and triggers the same way, and while case-hardened parts may look a tiny bit unusual on a stainless gun, flash-chromed parts look downright silly on a blued one. :)