photo big bull elk

Jack O'Conner

startledbull.jpg

I snapped this photo last September during a slow sneak in heavy timber.
Nope, I didn't carry my rifle because wasn't drawn for this unit.

Take note that the neck fur is light colored. This is rare around here. Normally the neck is dark brown.

I have no knowledge if this bull survived the hunting season.
Jack

SilentHitz

Very nice. :D I like to see hunters who shoot with a camera also. When the freezer is full, the camera is a great way to enjoy the outdoors. Never know when you might get a shot the hunting mags. will pay a nice price for. Just kewl to have some good pics for your personal photos too.:cool:

Uncle Ben

That's a good-quality photo. Is photography a big hobby of yours?
What photo gear did you use for the shot?

flyboy14

unless you are a resident, you can't get an elk tag in south dakota. If you are a resident you will be lucky to draw one. Once you draw a bull tag you can not put in again for 10 years. Leftover cow tags can be had, but it is a drawing, and your odds are still pretty low. The upside to this system is, a healthy, and large horned elk herd. The bull elk I have seen, after living, and hunting here for 5 years, are very good quality.

slick slidestop

Is that why everyone goes to Wyoming. I know several people who live in SD (Winner,Sioux Falls), and they all seem to hunt Wyoming. I love huntin Pheasants in S Dakota though.....nice country and great people:)

Jack O'Conner

I like to roam & explore and carry my camera. Sometimes I luck out with being in the right place at right time.

I don't even apply anymore for SD elk. I hunt in NE Wyoming which is close to Spearfish. Non-resident rates keep climbing. YIKES.

Jack

flyboy14

I hear you on going to wy for elk, tags are high, but at least you have a chance to draw. We probably cover a lot of the same ground in the hills. I am in piedmont, and I shoot up in spearfish with a couple of friends now and then.