Phoenix Arms .22 or Taurus PT22

Phoenix Arms 22 or Taurus PT22

• Phoenix Arms

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Taurus PT22

Votes: 17 70.8%

• Total voters

UtahHunting

Which is the better gun? I already have a Ruger and a Buckmark. I am specifically looking at one of these cheapies to toy around with.

predecessor

Taurus PT-22

On this there really is no contest. I'm interested to see if the Taurus bashers rise up to the occasion on this one. There will always be the usual Taurus QC risks but design-wise, the Beretta/Taurus design and overall quality is far and away better than the Phoenix.

w_houle

Not as easy as it sounds:
The Taurus is made from steel, and the tip up barrel is nice. It's another Beretta design that some people feel that Taurus can make well. The down side is Taurus Customer Service(not first hand experience).
Phoenix Arms HP 22. Two Barrel lengths to choose from that you can swap out easily. It's accurate. Customer Service is decent (not first hand experience) The down side is that some people don't like what they are made from, or that the company doesn't suggest high velocity ammunition, or the myriad of safeties that are on it. The recoil spring seems to not have a great service life (not first hand experience).
In the end: I would say... neither for SD(unless they were the ONLY options, I would say Taurus due to ammunition choices), and Phoenix to plink.

w_houle

If your looking for one to play around with, then why not a Jennings .22?
I know that statement by itself will draw heat, but they can be found for cheap, the parts are plentiful, and they can be found either unfired or with a very low round count. Most problems stem from improperly secured pins dragging against the slide, and magazine issues (just tweak the feed lips). Occasionally you might encounter a takedown button that will bind in the firing pin channel and cause it to self field strip (mine did), but that is a matter of polishing the top of the takedown button.
They can fire high velocity ammunition.
So if you're looking for something cheap to fiddle around with, then this might be just the thing (or not, depending if you're enamored with having a hammer fired pistol).

DasFriek

If you read on-line reviews and comments the Phoenix wins hands down.Id get the range kit that has both barrels.Its reliable and accurate and easy to use.
Even with the small barrel id never carry the Phoenix nor the Taurus.
IM actually a Taurus owner,but i have no faith in their PT22.

But here is my advice,pick up a S&W .22a for $239 as its a much better weapon than either of those.Mine will do 25 yard shots with a $30 RedDot sight and give 2"-3" groups.

Onward Allusion

Neither

Both are crap...

Get a FEG PA-63 (9x18) for less than $200 and "toy" around with that. Ammo is still cheap & plentiful AND it can actually be used as a "real" defensive weapon.

aarondhgraham

Finally,,, something I know about.

I own a Phoenix HP22 and it has never worked well.

I experience at least one "fail to fire" in each magazine,,,
Type or brand of ammo does not seem to make a difference.

I sent it to Phoenix and they returned it "repaired",,,
The danged thing still doesn't work properly.

I can see that the firing pin does not always extend out to where the hammer can strike it.

When it does, the cartridge fires,,,
When it doesn't, the cartridge never fires.

I have been told by knowledgeable people that it is just gummed up,,,
I tried their recommendation of spray cleaner but to no avail.

I can't say the pistol is a downright dog,,,
I can say mine has never worked properly.

Makes a great paperweight though.

tjhands

For me, that's like asking whether I want to get sucker punched in the spleen or the liver.

Hell, I don't know.......spleen maybe?

michael t

my Taurus has been junk from start back for warrenty once and ready to go again I still haven't made it to a 100 rounds and broken twice :barf:

Lashlarue

Many years ago I bought two Phoenix 25 acp, one of which I gave to my daughter as she was living away from home for the first time. Needless to say she had a break-in, and the damn gun jammed. Luckily she and her room mate screamed loud enough to scare off the intruder.The one I kept was just as bad, a jammomatic. But I had a Dan Wesson 15-4 as my carry and nitestand pistol.I now own one Taurus that has been outstanding, but it's a 9mm 24/7 Pro Ds. Don't see many complaints on their 22's on the Taurusarmed.net site.

UtahHunting

The general consensus is they are both junk, which is kind of what I was expecting. As I said I own a Ruger MK I and a Buckmark, both of which are fine pistols. I thought it might be fun to add one of these pocket guns to the .22 collection, but after reading some of the comments I may hold off.

w_houle

That's why I made my last comment like I did. Thought you were looking for one to play around with, there isn't a whole lot to them so diagnosing problems isn't too difficult.

michael t

here isn't a whole lot to them so diagnosing problems isn't too difficult.

Maybe somebody should tell Taurus that as mine is right back to lite hammer strikes . Same as the first time
My Beretta's don't suffer from this trouble Of course their a quality pistol compared to the Taurus .