Pheasant recipe

kraigwy

I'm not a bird hunter, My son just brought me some pheasants.

I've eaten them before and they were tasty but I don't know how they were cooked.

Anyone have any good recipes?

buck460XVR

I like cutting them up in small pieces rolling them in flour and frying them with sausage. Makes them go farther and the sausage adds moisture and flavor. I then make a gravy with the meat and drippings and serve it over rice or mashed potatoes. I prefer Andouille or Italian sausage.

kilimanjaro

Don't stuff them, they're too small to cook the stuffing before the meat is done. Roast like a chicken, keep moist. Salt, pepper, garlic, sage, and butter, as a baste. 20 minutes per pound, 350-375 degrees.

I like my food simple, but you can do glazes, sauces, lots of good stuff.

Grill some asparagus as a vegetable, drizzle with olive oil and sea salt.

Keep the drippings for gravy with potatoes.

Good eats.

You can also slice the meat off beforehand into thin pieces large as you can, cook that half done in butter and oil, add mushrooms before done, when the fungi are sautéed you're ready to eat.

surg_res

Pheasant to me is just like really dry chicken breast. My wife cooks it in a "King Ranch Chicken" casserole. Consider it as a substitute there--where it will be smothered with enough sour cream and other cheesy lubricants that you won't know it's not chicken.

steveno

brown the meat and then put it in crock pot with mushroom soup. I don't remember how long it was in the crock pot

FITASC

You need to either add moisture or keep them moist. Crockpot with cream of mushroom works as does wrapping them with bacon and roasting

T. O'Heir

"...is just like really dry chicken breast..." Cooked too much. Mind you, game meat is extremely lean so wrapping bacon on 'em helps.
There are hundreds of game cook books. Your public library will have a bunch.

buck460XVR

Again, the use of bacon, or sausage and the making of gravies and the use of cream soups as a sauce will add moisture to a meat that is generally on the dry side. Pheasants for me, generally are not plucked whole like a chicken, but skinned and pieced. This is because the skin is generally pierced with shot pellets, thus leaving the skin on is a waste of time. Because the bird itself is usually riddled with pellets and pellet trails, I like to cut the pieces small enough to make sure I get all the pellets and feather trails out. Another method I use to make sure there are no pellets left in any of the meat(I've bitten on enough shot over the years to know how unpleasant it is) is to use a hammer style meat tenderizer on those pieces. You pound them out flat and there is no way to miss a pellet. Because the pieces are all about the same thickness they fry evenly after being rolled in seasoned flour. The seasoned flour makes the gravy when water is added after browning to finish cooking. This is the similar to the way I do grouse and woodcock, except with them I generally use lots of butter instead of sausage and do not make a gravy. I just fry them long enough to heat them thru and then eat.Cooking them longer than that just makes 'em tuff and dry. When I used to raise pheasants and butcher them like chickens, I would pluck them and roast like a chicken. The skin plus the body fat of being confined and grain fed made them more conducive to this. Still you make sure you did not overcook it or it would become dry and chewy.

Pahoo

Cambell's Cream of Mushroon soup

brown the meat and then put it in crock pot with mushroom soup.
This is my no-brainer go-to recipe and use it for squirrel and rabbit as well. To clarify, that is Cream of Mushroom soup and you can through some onions in there, as well your own spices. .... :)

I find that the more exotic you try to get with cooking pheasant, the drier it gets or not worth the effort. ..... :confused:

Be Safe !!!

I don't particularly like pheasants roasted or fried. Tough & dry. Sooner eat a banty rooster. But in a casserole pheasant there great. Per-cooked & cooled White rice Wild rice. A breast chunked up. A a can of mushroom soup having a stalk or two of celery added seasoned than baked. Is comfort food plain & simple. Use your imagination on the amount measurements. More is better.

Buzzcook

Salt and pepper the cavity, lightly stuff with chopped onion and chopped orange.*
Place in roasting pan with rough cut carrots, onion and celery.**
Pour white wine an inch deep.
Drizzle light molasses over the top.
Sprinkle the skin generously with powdered cardamom and cayenne.
Place in preheated oven.
Baste after first 1/2 hour and then every 15 minutes there after.
Remove when a meat thermometer reads 165 in thickest part of breast.
Let stand 1/2 hour.
Make sauce from pan drippings.

*This is just for flavor not for eating.

**you can add potatoes or other tubers.

This recipe works for just about any meat.

AzShooter

Add a little wine to the mix and the pheasant will taste great. That's what my mom use to do. Then you only have to worry about bitting into a pellet or two but you are too drunk to notice. :)

979Texas

You can easily stuff pheasant. Its culinary 101 to cook your stuffing ingredients first before stuffing your protein with them.

Another good way to prepare it is to do a confit, duck fat works best for this, but peanut oil and CLARIFIED butter work also and are more readily available.

Pheasant also goes good in a Cassoulet, you can replace the duck in the cassoulet with the pheasant, or just add the pheasant in their with your other proteins.

And red wine reduction sauces as well as balsamic reduced raspberry sauces pair very well with this particular protein also.

And of course one of my favorite recipes is just hardwood smoking pheasant low and slow on the bbq pit.

Last edited:

Chaz88

I like to make pheasant noodle soup. I make it the same as I would with a whole chicken I just substitute a skinned pheasant. Even people that claim they hate pheasant like it.

buck460XVR

My wife made "Pheasant Pie" this week from birds shot last weekend. Basically used a basic "Peasant Pie" recipe and substituted Sausage and Pheasant for the beef called for in the recipe.

Worc

Grilled with the beer can method or baked in the oven wrapped in bacon. Both keep it form drying out which is the biggest problem for me.

Panfisher

If you have enough fillet the beast off, cut into pieces across the grain, buttermilk, flour seasoned with spices of your choice and deep fry, just don't over cook. Take rest of bird and put in crock pot with some chicken stock and pultry seasoning etc. Cook till it falls off bone, remove and let cool till you can handle it, separate meat from bone and put meat back into pot. Add wild rice and cook until rice is done. Thicken the broth with corn starch if desired.