Phase II .45acp Hi-Point Testing

cwok

This is my second test fire of my new Hi-Point -- see below the cut line for the first test.

Preparation:
This time, before firing:
I cleaned the barrel from the muzzle at the range after Test #1, and before this test I did the type of cleaning I'd normally do with a new firewarm before shooting -- I followed the "Disassembly" instruction i.e. field strip to get the slide off for cleaning the barrel from the breach.
Note: I'll talk about this in more detail issue on a wrap up post -- but the the Hi-Point should be cleaned over a parts tray/cookie pan because, the one I cleaned - don't know about others, has parts that are not 'captive'.
Scrub too hard with a cleaning brush and you may dislodge something.​
Shooting 19 Dec:
90 rounds fired -- Ten full 9-round magazine.
10 each SPeer 230 Grain FMJ
30 each Winchester White Box 230 Grain FMJ
50 each PM 185 Grain JPH.

Reliability:
Cons:
* When slide released after inserting a magazine I had to 'wigge' it a couple time to get it to go forwared -- This occured on the second and rourth magazine of the Ten I fired this day.
* One Failure to Feed: About round number 70. - Cleared by holding the slide back/pushing the slide release/pressing down on the top round.
Reinserted magazine and no further problem thereafter.
Pros:
So far, 169 of 170 rounds worked without issue in a new (inexpensive) 45.

Accuracy:
This time all 90 shots were at 10 yards.

Tried to adjust the "Ghost Ring" without much success.
Tried 9-round rapid fire to sse if I could acquire the target quickly with the Ghost Ring -- It worked and I continue to think (opinion without confirmation) that the Ghost Ring might help an inexperienced shooter with the whole "Focus on the sights not the Target issue" - though at 10 yards it may not matter much.

Last two magazines (18 rounds vice20 in the first test) gave me a 3+1/2 inch group (pictured) with eight holes that were about .45 in diameter and a much larger one in the middle of the group.

attachment.php

Tentative assesstment:
It's still Cheap, It still works (at least 169 of 170 times), and it has enough accuracy for close range self-defence.
Thats why I look at 20-rounds to see what the extreme spread is instead of evalauating the 'best' five-shot group.
Oh - and its a .45 acp!

-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-First test 11 Dec below -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Hi-Point 45acp testing ($189 before tax)

Preparation:
Pistol bore wiped down with Hoppes before going to the range.
I installed the included ‘ghost ring’ (i.e. a peep sight replacing the standard rear sight).
I could not see any apparent benefit, but I couldn’t see any drawback either.

Shooting 11 Dec:
80 rounds fired – Eight full 9-round magazines and the last with 8-rounds.
20 each Winchester White Box 230 Grain FMJ
10 each Speer 230 Grain FMJ
50 each PMC 185 Grain JHP.

Reliability:
Cons:
When slide released with the first magazine – I had to ‘wiggle’ the slide two or three times to get it to release.
Same thing happened a second time with either the fifth or sixth magazine.
Pros:
All bullets fired – no failures to feed/fire/eject.

Accuracy:
60 initial shots at 10 yards and 25 yards to see if the sights (adjustable !) would stay on target - 60 rounds fit on a sheet of 8.5 x 11 inch paper. Also wanted to see how it would handle the three different brands of ammo.
Last 20 rounds fired with two hand hold at 10 yards -- all stayed inside 4-inches (It appears Camp Perry is out).

attachment.php

Tentative assessment – I’ll need to shoot another two-three hundred rounds to be more confident.
Cheap, Works, Ugly; and did I mention cheap and it worked.

It appears to be usable for the target audience (gun pun): battered spouse/girlfriend who would be in the kitchen/bedroom aiming at someone kicking in the trailer door.
Sadly, (upcoming sarcasm), the Hi-Point .45 acp cannot be counted upon to shoot the crowbar out of an intruders hand – it would be necessary to shoot for center-of-mass.

Attachments

• P1350684 -a.jpg
    P1350684 -a.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 144
  • P1350498 -a.jpg
    P1350498 -a.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 147
Last edited: