Pet Load for .380

RNG

I'm looking for load data for Rainer plated 95gr RN. I realize your supposed to use the load data for cast of the same weight but my Lymans 48th edition manual doesn't list a a 95gr RN cast bullet.

Currently loading;
Rainer plated 95gr
Winchester 231
Winchester Primers
Mixed brass
2.9gr

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,
Richard

I use 95 gr. lead bullets and 3.5 grains of Unique in my Bersa Thunder if I remember correctly 3.8 is the max load.

I don't remember where I found that load data, I believe from a Lyman reloading book/magazine a buddy of mine let me borrow.

gb_in_ga

I've found that the following works well in my Bersa Thunder .380. Good Range Fodder:

Mixed brass
95 gr Rainer Plated LRN
Remington or Winchester small pistol primer
3.2 gr HP-38
.970 OAL

Notes: According to Hodgdon, HP-38 and W231 are one and the same powder. Apparently my gun is sensitive to ammo sizing, I find that the use of Lee's factory crimp die really helps -- there's never an issue when I use it.

And, of course -- Caveat Emptor. Just because it works fine in my gun doesn't mean that it will work that way in yours...

RNG

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Only problem I've been having with the Rainer 95gr RN with the .380 is I'm having to put a pretty tight taper crimp on them to keep them from easily setting back into the case when I push on the bullet. Anyone else having this same issue? I've already loaded a box of 50 at 3.1gr W231 and they shot great out of my wife's Bersa T380 with no pressure signs. Just needed a sanity check with the load data.

Much appreciated.

Kindest Regards,
Richard

gb_in_ga

Bullet setback? I haven't had issues along those lines, but I've found that the OAL I use along with the Lee FCD's taper crimp (and I do have to crimp it pretty tightly) are what it takes in order to get reliable feeding in my gun.

About your 3.1 gr load of W231 -- that's only .1 gr away from the 3.2 load of HP-38 that I use in my T380, keeping in mind that those 2 are actually one and the same powder. And I'm not showing any signs of over-pressure, either.

RNG

gb_in_ga,
I haven't picked up the Lee FCD yet. Still seating and crimping in the same step (Lee Pro 1000). I'm seating to the same OAL as you (.970) with a diameter of .370. While working up the load I started at 2.3gr, to 2.6gr, to 2.9gr, and finally 3.1gr. All cycled the Bersa just fine with no FTF's, FTE's, or stove pipes. 2.9gr was pretty accurate with 3.1gr being more so and still no pressure signs. I settled in with the 2.9gr, happy with the accuracy (at the time) and wasn't beating up the Bersa. Had it at the range Saturday and wasn't pleased with the accuracy. Seems something may have changed. Getting ready to go back through all of my data, including double checking the dimensions of my previously loaded cartridges, to make sure nothing changed. I know the powder charge is spot on as I'm very careful to check the case prior to bullet placement/seating. Thanks again for the info. I'll load up some 3.1gr's and a few at 3.2gr's and check for pressure to be sure.

Richard

Kosh75287

RNG,

Admittedly, the .380 is a small capacity case, but don't hesitate to experiment with slower burning powders than WW231. Alliant Unique works well in almost all pistol cartridges, and Herco is only slightly less versatile.
Alliant's website lists 4.2/Unique/95FMJ and 4.4/Herco/95FMJ as max loads, but I'll bet you'll get reliable functioning and decent accuracy with starting loads (10% off of max). You may find that you get lots of muzzle flash with these two powders, so don't let it surprise you. A heavier-than-usual crimp might help this, if it's troublesome.
Since these powders are a little more bulky than the faster-burning ones, you might find that the magical-mystical "loading density" factor (the powder charge more completely fills the case) may enhance your accuracy somewhat. I'm still trying to figure out HOW it does that, but I've seen it too many times to "poo-poo" the notion.
You might also try IMR PB as another powder. I've yet to find any smaller capacity pistol cartridges that didn't work pretty well with it. Since Hodgdon now owns IMR and Winchester (though, apparently, NONE of them manufactures powder anymore), I fully expect PB to be discontinued when I least suspect it. I try to buy all I can get.

windh1

accuracy

can someone fill me in on the normal expectations of accuracy for the 380? I just got a high point 380 never had a 380 before. I usually shoot rifles and am used to the accuracy of a rifle. what can be expected from my new 380?

zxcvbob

I use 4.2 grains of Unique with 95 grain cast bullets for my hot loads, and 3.0 grains of International for something a little more pleasant to shoot. When I run out of International I'll substitute the same amount of Green Dot or Titegroup.

warningshot

1) You aint ever never never ever ever never get 'a uniform crimp or consistant AOL' using such a small plated bullet, as compared to using a cast or a typical copper jacketed bullet. Nope. Aint happening.

2) Using W231 or Bullseye, try some jacketed 115s or 124s....takes the bite out of the .380 punie round.

Clark

I find there are different classes of 380s, depending on slide mass, case support, chamber wall thickness, and recoil spring force x distance.
Blow back vs locked breech is not associated with any improvement.

1) Low class:
a) I have worked up Power Pistol 90 gr Gold Dot so there is no margin before bulge starts in my Kel-Tec P3AT barrel with case support provided with .290".
It will do 1100 fps from the 2.7" barrel.
That is the same as Buffalobore Ammunition +P 380 90 gr with a 2.7" barrel.

b) The Ruger LCP is in the same class with support at .270" and 2.75" barrel.

2) Middle class
The Bryco can produce much more power with the case support at .230".

3) High Class
a) The Beretta 1934
b) and Browning 1903 give support to virtually the case web and can make much more power than the Bryco.

Attachments

• Ruger LCP.jpg
    Ruger LCP.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 91
  • bryco.jpg
    bryco.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 22