personal AR replacement!?!

KShaft

Being a Marine Corps and army (and OIF) Vet, Ive been around my share of M16 variant rifles. Ive seen that when maintained properly, they are pretty damn reliable.

Thing is, as of late, Im getting kind of tired of em and would like a new military assault (style) rifle. Now Ive always liked how the SIG 55x series looked and heard how they performed, and I remember the Australian Marines and their AUGs and I liked them both. Not to mention the various HK rifles.

Now getting your hands on an authentic HK submachine gun or assault STYLE(meaning semi auto only) rifle is nearly impossible if not outright impossible(legally), at least until those abominations of the 416 come in.

So Ive seen the AUG clone, the 556, and various piston AR's. Well, Ive never read a review without the STG-556 failing in the shoot. The 556 has problems out the rear side if you read the threads on SIGForum. Some of the AR style rifles with pistons seem to work well (LMT, LWRC) but Its honestly too close to an AR for me. Oh yeah, I know nearly any AK variant works, even the cheap ones which I never have bought (VEPR, SAIGA, and Arsenal are all I have experience with and it will stay that way). Not saying Im not thinking about it, but I already know about those. I was looking at the SGL-31s, but I honestly think I want something a little more high speed(but for the prices they are going at right now, Id be retarded to overlook them).

A SCAR sounds like a good candidate, but its too hard to get under $2500. Im not sure if the ACR is out yet but that will also most likely be hard to find. XCR is something Ive been thinking about as well, but if I went that route, Id more likely get the MRP.

So is there any solid shooting, RELIABLE, next gen carbines that fit that description that were not exempted from the list above? Please point me in the direction if anyone knows of any, Id like to check em out while I have some coin.

Thank you,

KS

Last edited:

blume357

I know it may not be 'cutting edge' enough for you... but

I have not heard one bad thing about the new Ruger S-556.

durian

I have not heard one bad thing about the new Ruger S-556.

Only one issue with carrier tilt. Sigforum SR-556 Discussion Look for post from gotm4.

I know you want next gen look but standard looking piston guns like the Ruger SR-556 may be seen in the LWRC M6A2
m6a2_10_14_16.jpg

and LMT CQB MRP Defender Model Piston 16.

CQBPS16.jpg

Nick-Mc

toyed around with an sks? Cheap as dirt, extremely reliable, fairly cheap to shoot since it gobbles up all the inexpensive steel case stuff out there. Get a couple thirty round mags and it's fun at the range. There's also dozens of different things you can do to it between stocks and various setups. Just thought I would throw it in there.
And yeah, i've gotten bored with the m16 platform too after being around it alot but of course I still have to have my colt for the personal collection.

KShaft

Thanks for all the replies.

Durian, The LMT and LWRC would be my first choices in piston ar type rifles as I owned an LMT with Larue rail and SOPMOD stock as well as my RCO m4 ACOG (all since sold) which was on my a4 in Baghdad; and I have heard nothing but good things on the LWRC from guys with tier one AR's (mostly LMTs, Colts, and BCMs, maybe a Noveske here or there)on AR15.com.

Nick, Ive got an SKS in my bedroom that is a Yugo with the stupid grenade launcher muzzle and leaf sight. stupid top heavy, but yes, very fun and easy to shoot.
AK's are much more fun to shoot than AR's I think. Not sure why that is since they are much less ergonomic.

Anywho, there was a FN FS2000 available for a reasonable price about 90 min away from where I live, so I took a drive and charged my card. They had a SIG 556 with folding classic stock and FF rail(not classic). I liked how the rifle looked and felt to be sure. I almost went with that one except for the fact that the FN seems to have better reviews. Runs like a top reviews. Get this though. The rifle didn't go home with me as I got delayed. You wanna talk about livid.... I could have strangled a french poodle. Okay, bad example. Strangled a koala bear. How angry is that!?!

So I wont get to shoot it for maybe a whole week.

When I get it I will try to do a write up on it. Expect frustrating mag change reports!!