Perplexing issue with Lee Dead-Length Bullet Seater

pathdoc

I have the abovementioned die in .303 British, and tonight I was trying to set it up to load a dummy round with a Woodleigh 215gn RN hunting bullet. The press is an RCBS Partner Press.

I followed the instructions, screwing the die into the press until it contacted the shellholder, then adding a quarter turn. Therein my problems began. I can't seem to load these bullets into the case to the regulation 3.075 inches max COAL without backing the seating stem out so far that it's practically falling out of the press.

What am I doing wrong?

The little short seating plug is probably not the right shape for your bullet. You can contact Lee and describe the situation. They may offer to send you a different one.

In the meanwhile, back the die out enough to be able to seat. Make sure that when a bullet is sitting on top of a case mouth, at least part of the bearing surface (the straight cylindrical full diameter portion) is within the narrow part of the die above the case mouth.

pathdoc

Regards your para 1, this is what I was beginning to wonder last night. The plug appears set up for Spitzer or semi-Spitzer bullets, giving it an extra few millimetres of play. With this big blunt RN, it's sitting right on top of the nose rather than sliding over the tip for a bit. I remember being able to seat Speer 174gn Match Kings way out past 3.075 without trouble (I had already measured the distance to lands and knew I was safe).

I'll get in touch with Lee in due course. In the meantime I'll do as you suggest and back the die out. I was hoping you'd suggest that, as I'd already tried it on a dummy round but I wanted to check back with someone before I took it "live". Thanks for the help. +1

ballardw

The seating plug looks to be $2. part. I would be tempted to get one and open it up a bit.

Or see if the seating plug from 7.62x25 or similar 30 cal pistol cartridge would work.

pathdoc

By a happy circumstance, I do have the 9mm Luger die set. I will have a little play around and see what happens.

It will be interesting to see what the .303 seater plug does in the 9mm die. I will try that with a dummy cartridge. If it doesn't affect 9mm results and the 9mm plug in the .303 die works well, I might leave them permanently swapped.

milboltnut

turning the die an extra quarter turn I believe will crimp the neck. As Nick said back the dies out until you can start to seat the bullet.

I would raise the cap screw all the way out, and then turn it down a couple of threads. Start the die in the press a few threads and place a bullet on a case to load. Raise the ram all the way up until you feel the bullet contact the seater stem, you might have to lower the die a bit to make contact. Lock down the die and begin to lower the cap to begin to seat the bullet.

pathdoc

turning the die an extra quarter turn I believe will crimp the neck. As Nick said back the dies out until you can start to seat the bullet.

I would raise the cap screw all the way out, and then turn it down a couple of threads. Start the die in the press a few threads and place a bullet on a case to load. Raise the ram all the way up until you feel the bullet contact the seater stem, you might have to lower the die a bit to make contact. Lock down the die and begin to lower the cap to begin to seat the bullet.

Gotcha.