Permit in NY Gun in Mass.

ConcealCarryNY

Co worker of mine had his father in law pass recently and was given all his handguns. He is being told that he can not even handle the handguns in question, and that a Mass LEO must enter the home and transport them to an FFL then they can be shipped to N.Y. Does anyone havce any experience with this type of issue? It seems weird that the Police have to come into the home

Manedwolf

It's MA. The laws are downright Soviet there. If in doubt, I'd say contact a lawyer. Packing.org might also have some info. The state firearms info stuff is convoluted and confusing.

44 AMP

Staff
Does your friend have a NY pistol permit?

If he does, then the handguns (part of father's estate) can be added to his permit (permit amendment - all it takes is some time and some cash). If he does not have a permit, things can get (more) confusing.

On the Mass end, the executor of the estate would have to comply with Mass law, whatever it is. If noone has a valid Mass FOID for the guns, thenit may very well take a LEO to transport them to a dealer.

A few years back, my father passed, and I got some of his handguns. He lived in NY, and I don't. My brother, who also had Dad's guns on his pistol permit, had to take them to a dealer who shipped them to my home state dealer. I was in NY at the time, but I could not legally transport (or even touch) the handguns, as I did not have a valid NY permit for those guns. And the dealer could only accept them from a valid permit holder.

Cost me $80 shipping and insurance (the NY dealer "gave me a break") for three handguns, but it took a month, because the NY dealer would not accept the copy of the out of state dealer's FFL that I had with me. He would only accept one that came direct fromt the FFL, and that added a week or more. Oh, well, I did finally get them free from the tangle of laws that is some northeastern states.

Good luck.