Performance Check: Herco Powder

Cheapo

I'm casting about for a new powder to try in .357 Magnum, and am wondering about Herco. Alliant's data shows it's a strong performer.

Preferred loads are 125-gr jhps. Anyone worked up loads with this combo? What velocities did you get.

And how much muzzle flash did you get? I'm trying to get away from WW296, which gives terrific velocities but lights up the light like an old-fashioned flashbulb!

Unique powder also may be a contender. I know it's pretty low flash, but don't know how fast it will drive a 125-gr jhp.

BTW, barrel length is important in answering my questions. THANKS!

Southla1

Member In Memoriam
I bought some Herco years ago for use in 23 gauge shotshell loads. They worked ok but W-540 was a lot better. The Herco sat around for a while then I discovered it works fine in my .357 Mag. I use it for 110, and 125 grain JHP's and also for 140 grain cast SWC's. I load them hot and Herco is as fine a powder as any for these 3 loads. I just ran out a few weeks ago and will get more when I visit a gun shop.

Southla1

Member In Memoriam
Cheapo, sorry about the delay in replying but I have been kind of busy lately. With the 125's and 11.5 grains of Herco I get a bit above 1400, with the 141 grain cast I get right at 1400 with the same charge. I feel fairly certain that these loads will flash like hell. I have not fired any at night but I seem to be able to see some flash from them in the daylight! Lyman lists a maximum load of 11.9 for these loads. BTW these loads were fired from a 4" Smith "N" frame.

George Helser

Cheapo,

With full power loads in 9x19, Herco powder produced a dark orange flash at night which was a lot less offensive than some other powders I tested.

If low flash is your goal, check out VihtaVuori powder. The N340 in 45 ACP and 9x19 gives outstanding velocity and unbelievably low (nearly zero) flash at night.

Good luck!

Regards,
George
In sunny Arizona

Cheapo

Thanks for the tip, George, but I'm interested in keeping my powder selections purely in domestic U.S. production.

My fellow reloaders have reported some disappointments with erratic supply pipelines and foreign powders. Then there was/is the lovely Accurate No. 5 or whatever, which has been produced by at least three separate foreign makers, including Red China.

If I lived in Finland, I'd jump at the V-V powders.....

Cheapo

Southla1:

Thanks for the data. Have you also tried Unique in your N-frame with 125-gr JHPs? I'm curious whether there's much of a performance difference between Unique and Herco...

Bottom Gun

I load 125 gr Berry plated HP bullets with 9.0 grains of Unique. (Old formula)
This load gives very little muzzle flash and reads about 1440 on my chronograph out of a 4" barrel.
I haven't hit any critters with this load yet, but it gives pretty spectacular performance on water filled jugs.
Hope that helps.