Performance center pro series model 60

jski

I’m looking for a carry wheelgun and have winnowed it down to the PERFORMANCE CENTER PRO SERIES MODEL 60.

Reasons:
  1. It can handle 357 level pressures even tho I really have no intention of using it with 357s
  2. It has a 3” barrel
  3. It weighs only 23 oz.
  4. It has a rear sight (no gutter)
  5. It is all stainless
  6. It’s from the Performance Center

I’d like to hear from others with real world experience tho?

rodfac

The model you're interested in is very similar to my Model 60 described below: tho aesthetically, I'm not a fan of the flattened barrel, nor the slanted ejector rod rib, it's very similar to mine. If the "Performance Center" source means that it has a smoother action and the DA trigger is lightened, I'd say it'd be worth it over what I have. Too, a "Night Sight" is specified in Smith's write-up...from the pic, it looks like a tritium of some sort...a VERY nice feature if true. You only have to try shooting once at night to appreciate the value of tritium sights. (Raccoons in the horse feed bins at 2 am, in my case.)

Here are my thoughts on the M-60-15 that I've had for 7 years...mine has the 3" bbl., the cursed Hillary Hole and adj. sights. It's been a great gun for CC use as well as a knock about piece while fishing, farm chores carry etc. BTW, no trouble with the internal lock either...with well over 1500 rounds through the gun.

Like every other Smith I've owned over the years, this one's got a superb SA trigger, but its DA mode is a bit heavier than the ones on my K frames. I attribute this to the coiled main-spring used in the J frames. That heavier DA trigger, notwithstanding, the gun's very accurate with groups from ten yards, Weaver Stance & DA, with Federal CC 125 gr JHP's or handloaded 158 LSWC's at 900+fps, running < 1-1/2"... that's about the limit for me with a 3" bbl. and my aging eyesight.

For carry here on the farm, I generally run 158 gr LSWC's that I cast myself, loading them for ~900 fps muzzle velocity. They feel about the same in recoil as my CC choice, (.38 Special +P, 125 gr Federals) and are within an inch of the POI with the Federals. I've chrono'd the latter at well over 900 fps and have had good expansion on the one raccoon I've shot with it...It left a fist sized exit wound. As to the choice of .38 Spl. vs. .357, I've found that ejection of spent brass is much easier (it clears the gun easier) with .38 Spl. The longer .357 tends to hang up on the cylinder release button. Not to mention the recoil from full-house .357 loads, for my use, is excessive for follow up shots.

Mine came with those little "boot" grips which did nothing to help with recoil. I replaced them with Hogue "Mono grips" which fill my hands and are every bit as easy to conceal as the boot type while still preventing knuckle rap from the trigger guard.

The sights on mine are good, plain black, but I did add a dab of white finger nail paint to the front to help in low level light conditions...it works well and still allows real precision in day light. If the Performance Center model is tritium as I suspect, yours will be even better.

For carry, I made an open top, OWB that rides at the old FBI, 4:00 o'clock position. I've carried there for well over 50 years now so it's 2nd nature for me during the draw movement. I wear my shirts with the tail out and that position offers good concealment, even when wearing just a T-shirt.

Others here and elsewhere like an IWB, appendix carry, but, for me, that seems to violate one of the 4 primary safety rules, "never allow the muzzle to cover anything you don't wish to destroy". My femoral artery and the family jewels would be jeopardized by a rig of that sort, in my opinion. Re-holstering especially during necessary practice, let alone after a SD encounter, seems like a risk that's unacceptable. YMMv and many do carry that way, so it's worth study.

All in all, the gun's well made, nearly indestructible with its SS construction, well sighted, and aside from the heavier DA trigger, I have no reservations recommending it. For CC use, even for field carry as a trail gun, it's a great choice.

In the pic below, that's the gun but with a different pair of Smith or Hogue combat grips on it. Too, the holster is bit farther fwd than my normal position. Note that worn a bit farther back, you can tuck the muzzle into your jeans pocket, helping with concealment, but also anchoring the holster in that position.

Hope this helps. Rod

Last edited:

jski

My current plan (and again this is somewhat experimental) is to develop some stiff 38 Short Colt loads for this gun.

I’ve been reading about the popularity of this cartridge in ICORE competitions. They tend to make some fairly stiff loads for these rounds:
FortuneCookie45 is loading 38 Short Starline brass with 4.5 grains of Winchester 231 and 158 grain bullets and getting 1050 FPS out of them.

That would make an excellent self defense load.

HighValleyRanch

Is there a reason for going to .38 short cases rather than just loading to .38 special +P?
also, Kimber now makes a DA/SA 3" model K^ with exposed hammer, and it is just about the same weight and size but holds an extra round.

jski

The rationale behind the 38 Short Colts is simply because shorter cases are easier to unload and reload in stressful situations.

I’ve been reading about the popularity of this cartridge in ICORE competitions. They tend to make some fairly stiff loads for these rounds: FortuneCookie45 is loading Starline’s 38 Short Colt brass with 4.5 grains of Winchester 231 and 158 grain bullets and getting 1050 FPS out of them.

That would make an excellent self defense load.

smee78

My FIL went with the Kimber and has been happy with his, I really like the triggers on them and own one of the shorter models. The trigger seems to be smoother and the 6th round is a added bonus.