Perfecta Ammo

bn12gg

This past week I picked up a couple 50 round boxes of 9 mm Perfecta ammo @ Walmart. I had not seen the brand before. $13.97 per box. Not bad but still a little more than Federal 9 mm in a 100 round box. The ammo was brass cased rather than the steel case I'm use to with Tulammo.

Interesting-- distributed by Tulammo (Russian) but made in Italy. Made in Italy was a new one for me.

I cycled one full box of 50 thru my Hi Power and BDA P220 -- flawless function.

What's with the Italy ? Is this due to the Ukraine/Russia situation ? Does Tulammo think they will be stopped from shipping directly into the US ?

Thoughts ?

David :)

Fishbed77

It's a pretty nice place. Located in Europe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italy

Bazinga!

I lived in Genova (Genoa) for a good while. A wonderful city. There was a neat little gun store near the port I would browse occasionally - they had some wonderful hunting arms and a good many pistols.

On a side note, Italy has some of the better gun laws in Europe. Still atrocious by our standards, but much better than most of the continent. Their constitution does protect the right to keep and bear arms, but much like our government, theirs has tried to whittle this right down greatly.

Getting back on topic - I've shot plenty of Italian-made ammo (here in the US). Mostly Fiocchi. Good stuff for training and nice brass. No experience with the Perfecta ammo, though.

Last edited:

carguychris

bn12gg said:
Is this due to the Ukraine/Russia situation ? Does Tulammo think they will be stopped from shipping directly into the US ?
Tula was selling brass-case FMJ ammo under the Tula Brass Maxx and Perfecta brand names considerably before the current situation in Ukraine erupted.

I suspect Tula is buying the ammo under contract for reasons of simple production economics rather than fear of a potential import ban. They likely don't have the machinery to produce brass-cased pistol ammo with copper-jacketed bullets at their plant(s) in Russia, but some companies in continental Europe had the machinery along with excess production capacity, and it's cheaper for Tula to buy the ammo from those companies and repackage it rather than producing it themselves.

FWIW I've got some older Brass Maxx which was produced in Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH for short). It's also in Europe, kinda across from Italy, but reportedly not quite as nice to visit. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosnia_and_Herzegovina

bn12gg

Thanks for the inupt -- this is nothing new. New to me but not Ukraine related.

Yep, Italy was fun to visit a couple decades ago -- I'll be going back in two more years as I retire -- going to travel.

I shoot Fiocchi in 25 auto out of a Baby Browning -- better stuff than the Remmington or Winchester in 25 -- hotter round.

.02 David :)