Perfect carry gun theory 101.

Greg Bell

Guys,

Often we answer questions while referring to our pet theory as to why one gun is better than the other. Tell me, what are the characteristics of the perfect CCW? Lets think outside the Glock here--don't read me you current gun's specs.

1. Adequate firepower. Obviously, placement is king. Still, presuming we do our jobs and the bullet lands true--we still need it to do part of the job. I think 380 is the floor here--but you might disagree.

2. Concealability. The gun must be small. I don't care if you just got your 50AE "carry beveled" it just won't work. Obviously, this concern is relative to the shooter. Pro wrestlers might be able to carry desert eagles. Generally though, I see guns in the Sig229/Glock 23 range as being the outer limit. Still, I personally believe width is more important than length :)) shut up!). Sometimes a 1911 is more concealable than a SIG 229. This is why I tend to prefer guns like the P7.

3. Reliability. The gun must work. This is also relative. Many people consider a gun that never jams to be reliable--but then overlook parts breakage. Personally, I don't care whether it’s a jam or a broken part--if I get killed because of it. A lot of guys get custom work done on their guns without even trying their guns. I have 3 SIGs that are just functionally perfect. The guns have been shot extensively and are unflappable. Sometimes I get jealous when I see sombody has gotten a TJ trigger-job or something else. Still, I can't bring myself to do it because the guns are so reliable--I don't want to screw them up! This also raises concerns about "limp-wristing" and other problems. Some autoloaders (chiefly Glocks) seem to malfunction if gripped improperly. I have never had this problem (I have jammed a Glock--but I don't think my grip changed for that shot over the previous 800). This might bring the merits of the Revolver to mind.

4. Durability. This too is relative. Many USP/Sigpro/Glock/Walther types love the fact that they can freeze their guns in a mound of puppy-poo without worrying about corrosion. This seems to me a bit ridiculous. On the other hand, it really ticked me off when my P7 started rusting from finger-oils on the serrations. This is probably more of a cosmetic than durability related concern. On the other hand, it is probably unrealistic to think that you would wipe-down your gun every day--and why should you have to?

Any thoughts....

GHB

PRIDEFANS

Rule #1: If you're in a gun-fight,have a gun. There's no wrong answers here but I love my P7, too. It covers all four of your points very well.

scoops

i find myself carrying my colt detective .38.i load her up with .38+ six rounds.i feel this adiqute firepower.more often than not i carry my east german makarov.8 rounds of .9mm makarov.about the same weight as my detective but flatter.i like carring a autopistil because of the flatness.both are rock reliable.

WESHOOT2

I split the difference; I carry a wheel and automatic "always", and can normally be found also carrying a full-size steel reliable 9mm. EAA Witness, a 'court-defendable' name, eh?

But I sometimes wear my 1911 (Caspian, of course) because, with its NP3 coating (thank you, Robar) it requires no lube, doesn't rust, is 100% reliable (so far), is in a major caliber (45, natch), and looks like a real gun.

If I wear a fanny-pack it's usually stuffed full of GP100 and some speedloaders.

Dichotomy?

hollow point

Hollowpoint's CCW criteria:

#1) Is it reliable? A firearm that might misfire when you need it (be it jamming, parts breaking or some other reason) makes it useless to go to #2.
#2) Is it accurate? A firearm that cannot hit the desired target makes it useless to go to #3.
#3) Is it's power sufficient? If the chosen round will not penetrate seasonal clothing or if the terminal ballistics do not create a wound channel large enough to end the threat, it is useless to go to #4.
#4) Is it comfortable to carry? If it is not comfortable to carry with you all day long, you will leave it at home and then it becomes useless to go to #5.
#5) Is it concealable? If the firearm cannot be concealed under the proper attire than it is not an adequate concealed carry firearm.

-JHP

*Pro-Rights*Christian*Conservative*Gun Owner*
My Principles are detested by the vocal,
but are respected by the strong!
**NRA****GOA****BSA****USTF****CotB****VCDL**

riddleofsteel

YEAH WHAT HOLLOWPOINT SAID!!

that is why i carry an MK40 Kahr everyday. when clothing and situation allows it backs up a semi-custom K40. either gun fits all of hollowpoint's criteria.

DAVID NANCARROW

And thats why I carry a Government model-it works, it fits my hands, good power, it doesn't break, is flat enough to conceal, its easy to clean and if I ever did break anything on it, would be easy for me to repair.

Stretch

an addittion to the list

In addittion to concealable, I would add "carryable". I found a big difference in daily comfort when switching to a empty weight of around 20 oz. Consider a Kahr K9 vs. P9, not much difference in dimensions, and 8-10 ozs doesn't sound like much, but there is a big difference in carrying the lighter gun all day.

The second comfort point I would add is - striker fired. I am short waisted and many gun's spur will dig my ribs at some time or another.

In the end it really leaves a wide selection of criteria depending on the individual. For me that means that I now carry a G36 instead of my Kahr K40 or Sig P239; while it is not as comfortable to hold or shoot, it is more comfortable to carry, and ultimately that is the most important factor. If you don't carry it all the time, what's the point? The ultimate carry weapon is the one you will always have with you. Any choice you make is a compromise of one factor or another, but carrying comfort has to come first.

Nalapombu

I have lond thought that best CCW arm is a snub wheel gun. Here are my reasons.
1. No levers, safeties, buttons, etc. to fool with like you have on semi-auto handguns. I know that some of them are not like that, i.e. Glock & Kahr, I will get to those in #2.
2. Lets say that you have an utterly 100% reliable Semi-auto, you have it loaded with the best ammo that you deem necessary. What do you have when and if you have a misfire, or a primer that fails to ignite? In that case you are in a situation where someone is obviously trying to kill you and now you have to clear a jam and hope that the nest round works. I know that many will say that the chances of getting a round to misfire is small at best, but there is always a chance of that happening.
3. If you have a revolver and you have a bad round all you have to do is pull the trigger again and you are in business.

When all things are considered I don't think that it can be shown that a semi-auto is better for CCW for citizens than a revolver. In a situation that involves an extremem level of high stress you want something that is going to work and work every time. The only thing that fits that bill is the good ole' revolver.

Nala

Seminole1986

Nalapombu:

I'm not all that experienced w/CC but it seems to me that firing a wheel gun immediately after a misfire might cause the gun to explode in your hand if the cause of the misfire is a slowly burning round rather than a complete dud.

Just my $0.02

Dr.Rob

Staff Alumnus
1. Reliability.. if it doesn't work no matter what it cost to make.. it isn't worth carrying. This applys to your weapon and ammo. practice a lot with both. Use high quality factory ammo (which is less prone to miss fires than your buddy's re-loads)

2. Power i'd agree that 38/380 is a minimum. 44 mag is probably overkill in my mind.

3. Concealabilty.. this depends a lot on where u live and how you dress. Do you normally wear a suit and tie or coveralls to the office? Are people prone to be in close contact with you? Are you gonna put it in your sock/IWB/shoulder holster etc?

4. Finish/wear resistnace. Your carry gun is like a hunting rifle.. its going to get dinged scratched and the finish worn. Get a stainless or high quality finish like tenifer or robar.. or jusr resign yourself to carrying a gun with all the bluing worn off.

But most of all.. its the shooter not the weapon.. are you familiar with your weapon? Know how to clear a jam? Shoot it accurately? Reload it quickly? etc etc etc. All the gee-whiz bucks spent on the weapon won't mean anything if you don't practice.

I'll be applying for my CCW after nearly a year of shooting IDPA. My carry choices have narrowed down to an FEG hi-power 9mm or a colt lightweight commander in 45..with a sp101 in close contention.

In reading this thread I can't help but think of the Ruger SP-101. I don't own one, I carry a Colt Officers Model and a Colt Mustang, but again, I think the SP-101 may be the perfect carry piece.
Reliablility. I think only a fool would argue against a revolver being the most reliable practical defense weapon. As someone else mentioned, if you have a misfire, you just pull the trigger again.
Power: The .357 is considered one of the premier defense rounds. Some studies show it to be the best.
Concealability: The SP-101 is pretty much middle of the road here. There are smaller guns out there that gain that through smaller calibers, or decreased strength. There are also guns of similar or smaller size that hold more ammo which I don't believe to be a factor other than to the arm chair commando types that like to discuss senarios where they are surrounded by a foreign special forces unit. The SP-101 is small enough to easily conceal.
Finish wear resistance: The SP-101 is stainless.
Shooting full house .357s out of a short barrel are something that is often discussed on these boards. I think that it is a matter of practice. Practice with the light loads until you are comfortable with the gun and on your way to becoming proficient with it. Slowly work your way up the ladder until you are comfortable and proficient with your carry load. I don't think the short .357 is any more of a challenge than anything else. To someone that has never shot before, the recoil, noise, flash, smoke.... are intimidating but as you become more comfortable you don't notice them. Another aspect of the SP-101 comes into play here. If you become serious about this, and want to become good with your chosen carry piece, the SP-101 has the strength to handle all the full house loads you can afford to feed it.
I think I may have talked myself into a new gun.

urban assault

I own and carry one of those SP101's that your talking about. Nice fireball when you pull the trigger. Nice size also. Isn't too big or too small. I have carried it for quite awhile now and the stainless steel finish shows almost no wear. I didn't care for the factory grips so I put a Hogue Monogrip on. Very easy to control. I think I might go for the "crimson trace" laser grips, a Clark "meltdown" job and maybe some porting. I am upgrading to a ParaOrd P14 stainless "limited" for CCW next month and I might not want to spend the cash on the Ruger. We'll see how the X-mas bonus looks. The ruger really doesnt NEED the stuff I have talked about, but it would be nice. good shooting..

michael

WESHOOT2

In my experience automatic jams are easier to clear than wheel jams.
(some jams, referred to as "death jams", are just that)

jrp

I'll add another vote for the Ruger SP101.
It is a bit heavy and wide, but fine in a fanny pack.
.38 +Ps in the cylinder, and 2
speedloaders, .38 +P & .357 mag.
I don't care for the sights, but they
are tolerable. Also a relatively inexpensive
gun, so I don't mind the inevitable dings and
scratches too much.