Pentax scope surprise

hotcha45

Finally got two new rifles to the range this weekend, both Marlins, one an XS7 in 308, the other an XL7 in 270. Boresighted the 308, adjusted the scope (a Tasco World Class that I've had on the shelf for a number of years) and no problem. Got it on center an inch or so low at 50 yds, then turned to the 270. This one I put a new Pentax 4.5 x 14 Pioneer scope on. Boresighter showed about 4" high, an inch or so left. Began to dial it in and surprise, ran out of vertical adjustment just shy of center line on the boresighter screen. This is with the factory supplied Weaver bases and a set of Weaver Grand Slam steel rings. I've got a set of Burris Signature insert rings and a set of shims coming so should be able to get the scope on line, but I've sure never run into not having sufficient scope adjustment before to get the scope zeroed. Is this something I should have expected if I was more familiar with Pentax scopes?

johnbt

It's probably the gun that is off, not the scope, although that scope model might have limited adjustment - I didn't look it up. Maybe the mount holes were drilled offcenter or the heat treat warped the receiver a little. I always feel lucky when I mount a scope and it's on straight without any tinkering.

JT

Badaboom

Well anything is possible.

For one make sure that the vertical settings to start with are in the middle of the increment settings.
Meaning turn the dail setting to one of the two stops and then turn it back the other direction counting the number of clicks if possible.
Lets say you have 80 clicks. So then the neutral position would be around 40 clicks so set the vertical click setting to 40.
This will then allow you the most available vertical adjustments for the scope be it up or down. Then check it in the bore sighter

Is that enough to confuse you..

Well anything is possible.

For one make sure that the vertical settings to start with are in the middle of the increment settings.
Meaning turn the dail setting to one of the two stops and then turn it back the other direction counting the number of clicks if possible.
Lets say you have 80 clicks. So then the neutral position would be around 40 clicks so set the vertical click setting to 40.
This will then allow you the most available vertical adjustments for the scope be it up or down. Then check it in the bore sighter

Is that enough to confuse you..

That really doesn't do any good when he's already say 60 vertical clicks away from it being zeroed vertically. Then he would still have to adjust further to be zeroed at 100 or 200 yards.

Badaboom

I hear you.
Sometimes its best to make sure your are in a good starting location.
If your mounts are incorrect or maybe some other issue.
Well I think you would definitely have enough adjustment with that scope @ 100 yards

Maybe try closer 50 yds

crimsondave

It is much more likely the gun than the scope. Browning BARs are notorious for this according to my gunsmith friend.

slab11

I ran into a similar problem with a rem 700 and leupold bases and rings. I mounted a VXIII LR scope and ran out of vertical adjustment. so i switched rings, remounted, etc. still no luck. took to my gunsmith and he laughed, mounted a one piece base with 20MOA elevation and it worked just fine. He never really said why the bases did not work, but i didn't belabor the point.

about a year later, i bought another rem 700, so i got the bases and rings out (same as above) to mount a zeiss scope and found the same problem. so i had mounted the bases/rings on different rifles, different scopes, but same result. so i took the bases back and compared them to an EXACT set of other leupold bases and found the bases were different. either they were packaged wrong or were milled incorrectly. got the new ones, and now everything is fine.

it could just be the rings or bases are off, or as others have said, they may have drilled your holes out of line.

Scorch

Boresighters are notorious for not getting your POI anywhere near where they say you should be. How does it shoot?

jmr40

Did you even shoot the gun. If not do so before you try anything else. The best bore sighter is using your eyes to look through the bore.