Pend-Oreille County Washington

Buzzcook

Has anyone here hunted Elk in Pend-Oreille? How does it compare to the Okanogan? I'm being told it's the best place in the state and I'd like to know more before I commit to driving across the state this fall.

Stealff

Haven't had the opportunity to hunt elk east of the cascades. but I have hunted the Clearwater and Dickey area with about a 50% success rate.

Buzzcook

Steaff, my first elk was in Jefferson county just a bit North of Clearwater, East of Kaloch. My second elk was in Okanogan and my two no elk hunts as well.
I'm 2 for 4 with elk, both were spikes.

NRA4life, that is a worry for sure.

Stealff

yep right out in the area I'm thinking of, I've seen some big ones come out of the Clearwater. I've also seen many a dejected hunter as well hiking back out. its a hard hunt out there for sure. I've hunted the Clallam county in the area I grew up with no success for elk, although they are there, they seem to stay in the park for that one week we have to chase them.

Scorch

Tough country over there. The other thing you have to watch out for over there is grizzly bears.

simonkenton

I lived north of Newport Washington for a while, way out in the woods.
I went swimming in the Pend Orielle River many, many times. Even went on a raft trip down that river.
I shot some deer, but never saw an elk.