pellet pistol question

rickyjames

i am being bombarded by pigeons, my cars, my home etc. by bombarded i mean pigeon droppings. the pigeons are attracting cats that crawl all over my cars. so my cars are suffering with pigeon droppings and cat paw prints. my house is newly painted and car washes are getting expensive. my solution seems to be a 177 pellet in a beeman p-17 with a red dot sight. my question is can i leave my pellet gun loaded, cocked and locked? or should i load and cock when needed? there is not always alot of time between a sighting and a response. what would you do? thanks.

HankC1

there is not always alot of time between a sighting and a response.
Not pigeons then. Pigeons tend to stay around even you pop them one by one. At one time, I took 6 pigeons one by one with a single shot springer.

winkytink

It's not good to leave single stroke pneumatics pumped.

Load and cock when needed.

I'm not familiar with the Beeman P17, but the newer generation of gas piston rifles from Crosman are supposed to be good to go with extended cocking periods. I have one but haven't tested it yet.

Rickyjames, I understand your plight (I'm wrestling with squirrels that are determined to chew through the siding on my house), but might I suggest that you get some kind of tarp or cover for your car? As well as pigeon poo, it would also help protect it from dust and pollen. Just a suggestion.

HunterT

Personally I think the way to go with your pigeon problem is a Crosman Pumpmaster w/ a scope. I have one that I use to shoot rabbits(use pellets not bbs). It's a pretty cheap gun, but it's durable.

InigoMontoya

The most important thing to do is... LEAVE THE BODIES WHERE THEY LIE.

Had a problem with pigeons. Bought a .177 springer. Killed about a dozen in about a week's time. As I live next to about 20 acres of vacant land, I just tossed the bodies into the brush as coyote food and didn't give it another thought. After that first week, pigeons became a rare sighting within range of my house. They were still all over the neighborhood, but not near MY house.

The next spring, they returned. I killed about 3-4 in a weekish and they disappeared again...despite the fact that my next door neighbor throws out seed for birds every morning and evening. Other birds? You bet. Pigeons? Not a one.

That was probably 4-5 years ago. There are still pigeons all over the neighborhood... But there still are none within pellet gun range of my house. I don't pretend to know how they teach their young, but somehow they do.

What's this got to do with leaving bodies?

OK, the second half of the story... I have a coworker who had a similar problem. He killed pigeons constantly with no relief. I found it odd that the pigeons in my neighborhood got smart while his did not. I commented on it to somebody else I knew. Their response: "What does he do with the bodies? I bet he cleans them up and throws them away... Dead pigeons are a wonderful scarecrow for living pigeons."

I asked coworker what he did with the bodies. "I throw them in the trash," was his reply. I relayed the other individual's comments and told him to leave the bodies where they fell.

Within 2 weeks coworker reported that pigeons were no longer assulting his house.

Last edited:

kozak6

I'm not familiar with the Beeman P17, but the newer generation of gas piston rifles from Crosman are supposed to be good to go with extended cocking periods. I have one but haven't tested it yet.

These are nearly identical to spring piston airguns, except they use a gas spring instead of a metal coil spring.

The Beeman P17 is a single stroke pneumatic. Leaving it pumped can damage the seals.