Peer pressure takes another victim

LTrain

My co-worker (who got me into guns in the first place) has been bugging me to get a rifle lately. Not that I don't want one, mind you! Anyway, so I go to the gun shop after work this morning, and I see a ton of AR-15's, which is great, but I don't have $800+. Then I see a nice little AK-47, chambered in 5.45. Only $399! I thought about it ,and decided to get it. I haven't shot it yet, I'll have to wait until Tuesday.

I believe its made by Romarms, and then assembled by Century Arms. As long as it'll shoot decent, its all good by me. A nice starter rifle. Well, I thought I would share the good news. If anyone can point me to any info pages about these on the web, I would appreciate it. One can never know too much about his own gun ;)

Larry

Skullboy

Larry, Go to AR-15.com.They have an AK section.If your AK is chambered for 5.45mm, then it is a AK-74, the newer version of the AK-47(which chambers the 7.62 X 39 Russian round. HTH. Good shooting!. Skullboy.

Halo

These are nice rifles. I suggest you get the threaded front sight base from K-var and put the proper AK-74 muzzle break on it. Because it uses a unique thread pattern, for which no evil items like suppressors exist, it is legal to install without permanent soldering. The 74 does not have much recoil to begin with, but with the AK-74 comp installed I can seriously feel almost nothing.

LTrain

thanks for the replies! here's a pic, in case you all were interested =)

Larry

Attachments

• hehe.jpg
    hehe.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 198

Halo

Here's what it will look like with a black synthetic stock and the threaded FSB + comp ;)

Attachments

• evil.jpg
    evil.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 147

Dave R

Ltrain, I'm gonna disagree with Halo a little, here.

You don't have to do anything to that AK to enjoy it, but shoot it. And maybe zero the sights.

After you get to know it a little better, then you can decide if you want to personalize it. If you want to, there are lots of options.

One nice thing about a stock set like the one Halo has is that the stock is a bit longer. The standard AK stock is a bit short for tall people.

If you ever want to put a scope on it, go to AK-47.net (see earlier reply) and look up a gentleman who goes by "Tantal". He sells original Russian issue scopes for the side rail on your AK. They run about $150, and are really nice scopes. They slide off and on easily (once you adjust the lever). And they really do keep and zero after removal. Its the PSO series. I'm partial to the PSO-1 "v" (I think that's the right name).

MAKOwner

Yep, that would be the good ole Romanian SAR-2, a AK74 variant. They're sweet unless you get unlucky and get a lemon. Mine is very nice. If you want a black rifle but don't want to spend $80 for a black US made stockset for www.k-varcorp.com then you can go MacGyver on it for under $10 and be set. Use a chemical stripper to strip the current (usually ass-ugly) finish off the wood, and spray it with spray on truck bedliner from Walmart, $6ish. Works awesome, and actually feels like a good quality composite stock set with it's pebble grain like texture, and it holds up extremely well. You can read up on the details by doing some searches at ak-47.net's forums and elsewhere. Sounds Ghetto but the results are very nice IMO.

You can get the 30 rnd bakelite mags for under $10 easy, usually down around $5-$6 each if you shop (off the top of my head www.northridgeinc.com had em 4 for $20 including a pouch, but they take 4+ weeks to ship for some odd reason... Read the aforementioned ak-47.net forums to find the best places). I suggest you buy quite a few of the mags. They're plentiful now but you know high capacity mags have already been attacked by the antis...

Here's a few low quality shots of my SAR-2:
www.inter-scape.com/ray/sars.jpg
www.inter-scape.com/ray/sar2-10.jpg
can see the stock finish better in this one
www.inter-scape.com/ray/sar2-8.jpg

Halo

Dave is right that the rifle is perfectly enjoyable in its stock form. I just think that cosmetically and ergonomically, the black stock and AK-74 compensator make it even better, and closer to the "real" AK-74. Plus you can just imagine Sarah Brady wetting herself when you look at it :).