Peeps for a Marlin 336 and 1894c?

robertsig

Through careful Internet hunting, I have landed a Marlin 336SS and 1894c, both pre-Remington, within the last few months. I want to add better sites to both of them.

I want to keep the look of the rifle pretty close to stock, as I think a scope ruins it. I doubt either will ever be shot past 100 yards, or at least on purpose.

What are some of the better aftermarket sights? Williams, Skinner, others? Which are the better models in the their respective lineup? Any others I should consider, or gotchas before I buy?

Winchester_73

I just sold two sights that I think would work for you. I believe a Lyman No 2 would for you as a tang sight (not sure if those rifles have the holes needed, I know they did at one time) or a Lyman 66 LA receiver sight.

eastbank

williams makes a very affordable peep sight for them,but you may also want to get a thinner front sight blade for best results. eastbank.

PetahW

I would install Skinner receiver peep sights on both rifles.

Since they utilize the scope mount prep holes atop the receiver, they're "drop-in" - but a slightly higher front sight blade might be needed since they're top-mount sights.

It's a good-enough excuse to change front sight bead type at the same time, to one different than issue, that may be more to your liking, beit Gold bead, Ivory bead, or Fiber-Optic.
Skinner can also make/provide a higher square Patridge-style front sight blade, also.

Alaska444

Skinner sights all the way. I have his sights on my Marlin .444 and my 1894c in .357. Very accurate and you can get smaller apertures if needed. You may have to make the front sight taller and play with it a bit to get it right, but they look good on the Marlin and work well. Can't ask for more than that.

giaquir

I have William peeps on a couple of lever rifles
and a Skinner on one.
The Williams is a mount,adjust and shoot.
The Skinner is a hit or miss sight concerning
the front blade height.
I've never had an issue with the orig front blade,
shooting 100 yds with a Williams,
just put what you want to hit on top of the front
sight and pull the trigger.

robertsig

I think I will go with Skinner and live with the trial-and-error that will ensue to adjust the front sight. In the end, it will be something I enjoy more.

Thanks everyone.

ronto

I have the Williams FP peep and FireSight front combo on my 336. Very easy to sight in, setting locks in, and accurate out to 100 yards plus. I'm very satisfied with this set up.

dgludwig

I've used Williams receiver sights for the past fifty years or so on various lever-actions and on an older Remington 760. I've never been disappointed. A great company and a great product.

dayman

I like XS. but I guess it's more of a ghost ring than a true peep sight. They are small, and relatively easy to adjust.
For under 100yds I'd think they'd work just fine though.

bamaranger

williams

I'm running a Williams econo (5D?) on mine and have for years. Removed the leaf and put in a dovetail blank, very tidy looking. Filed a 45 degree face on the front bead, which really helped visibility of same, and eliminated glare on the sunny side.

I'd thought about the XS systems, but the cost seemed too much.

dgludwig

The "5D" is a Williams designation for their economized "FoolProof" receiver sight (basically the FoolProof sans micrometer adjustments). 5D implied it sold for five bucks when it was first introduced (five dollars will hardly pay the tax today :() but I'm old enough to have paid five dollars for a new one when that's what they cost "back in the day".

Last edited:

PawPaw

I run Williams foolproof on my lever rifles. It's easy to make it into a ghost ring by the simple expedient of un-screwing the aperture.

rugersp101

Skinner all the way, everyday! Turned my Marlin 1984SS .44 mag into a tight grouping beast! It need a skinner .450" front sight , but they are very affordable. Plus he offers 5 different sight apperature sizes for $11 each or all 5 for $50.

BfloBill

I have a Williams on my Marlin, but I did not like the front sight that came with it. I use the Williams peep rear with the factory front sight and find it to be very accurate.

Jack O'Conner

I've had good luck with Williams.

Jack

Marlinwilliamnssight.jpg

Edward429451

I use a Williams Peep with the factory front also. (Not the FP) It works fine for me and has collected two Deer which paid for them.

I suppose in fairness, partial credit has to go to the WWG Trigger Happy Kit that I put on it. Between the Peep sight and the nice trigger, it's like a whole different gun.

dgludwig

Hey, Edward: Tell me more about the "WWG Trigger Happy Kit". My Model 94 has a lousy trigger pull-full of creep, "hitches", the works.

dayman

I have the WWG (wild west gear) trigger happy kit in my 336 also.
It's a drop in trigger that basically functions like a good trigger job, but without the hassle of leaving your gun at a smith's.
It's a crisp 5.5lbs (I think 5.5, maybe 6), and also has a spring fitted to eliminate the trigger wiggle present in a 336 when it's cocked.
I'm pretty sure they make one for most common lever guns - I got mine through Brownell's but you can find them at a lot of the bigger gun parts distributors.
Easily the best return for my money I've ever personally gotten out of after market parts. It was like having a whole new gun.