Peep sights for 39a?

ARDogman

So I was able to pry a 1965 Marlin Golden 39a from my dad's hands...coaxed him out of it for a Jap A-5 that I had collecting dust. He maintains that it's been super accurate for him over the years, and it hasn't been shot too much. I'd like to shoot it for rabbits, squirrels, various creatures, as well as plinking. I'm certain that the factory sights will suffice for most shooting, but they are certainly crude. I'm wondering if a Williams or Lyman sight would help me to get better shots off, and shoot more consistently. For my application, do you all think it would be helpful, or is it something that won't provide much improvement? I'm not interested in putting a scope on, so it's either factory sights or a Lyman/Williams...unless there is an alternative that you all think is preferred.

dgludwig

Get a Williams 5D for it (a FoolProof if your jeans are dripping coins). No better receiver sight made for this rifle. Far faster to achieve a good sight picture than with the factory irons and handles better than a rifle saddled with a bulky scope.
Note: You didn't say "cold, dead hands", so I can assume your dad was drinking when he relinquished the little Marlin?

tandom

I agree with gludwig, my brother has a 39a with a williams peep sight, he said it was a great improvement over the buckhorn open sight. he also replaced the front sight with a thinner blade, i'm not sure who the mfg. of the front sight was though. the really old 39's, ones that are not the A model, have a different rear and front open sight if i remember correctly.

30-30remchester

Have to voice a different view of peep sights. While the Williams is a good sight it is built of some unknown alloy similar to alluminum, with crude but funtional adjustments that are not the easiest to adjust in the field. The Lyman brand is made from milled steel, and has very fine adjustments that are easy to manipulate.Not much of a comparison. Your gun is made from milled steel and walnut with just its buttplate being the only plastic:barf:. Wouldnt it be better to have the sight you add be made of the same materal and quality as the rifle you are putting it on?

Dfariswheel

The Lyman brand is made from milled steel

Alas, the world has changed.
The Lyman is no longer made of blued steel, it too is made of aluminum.

The aperture, receiver, peep, or "ghost ring" sight is a major aid in shooting, especially if your eyes aren't what they used to be.

The Williams is available as a lower price model as the 5D which is adjusted by loosening gib screws and sliding the sight.
The Foolproof is micrometer screw adjusted and target type knobs are available for it.

The Lyman is micrometer adjustable in 1/4 minute clicks and also can be had with target knobs.

30-30remchester

I havent bought a newer Lyman sight in years, what a shame quality has been sacraficed for quantity and profit. Still no reason not to put a milled steel model on this rifle, they sell them on EBAY.

GeauxTide

I've got a 39Mountie and an 1894. I hadn't heard of Skinner sights until I joined the Marlin Owners Forum. They both are graced with front and rear Skinner sights at half the cost of the others.

dgludwig

Have to voice a different view of peep sights. While the Williams is a good sight it is built of some unknown alloy similar to alluminum, with crude but funtional adjustments that are not the easiest to adjust in the field. The Lyman brand is made from milled steel, and has very fine adjustments that are easy to manipulate.Not much of a comparison. Your gun is made from milled steel and walnut with just its buttplate being the only plastic. Wouldnt it be better to have the sight you add be made of the same materal and quality as the rifle you are putting it on?

I won't criticize the Lyman but I will stand up for the Williams product. I've used a Williams receiver sight on various rifles since the time when 5Ds actually cost five bucks and have never had a problem with any of them. Aside from the old Weavers and a few other really old designs, most scopes today are made from a non-steel alloy and most people don't have a problem with attaching one to a fine rifle made of steel and walnut. Too, there might be something to be said for using a metal that is light-weight and rust-proof as opposed to using a heavier-than-need-be, rust-prone metal in constructing a compact, streamlined receiver sight. The Williams adjustments are not "crude" but are made with micrometer increments and the final adjustment can be locked in place, using the "FoolProof" set screws. Finally, after five decades of hunting, I can't remember ever having an occasion to adjust the settings of a receiver sight "in the field".

Picher

I have a Williams 5D on my new 39A and love it! That's the sight I had on my old Mountie and it's fine.

You'll probably need a higher front sight. The 1/16 ivory bead works well for me. If your rifle has a ramp, be sure to measure the width. Front sight height is measured from the bottom of the dovetail.

Wuchak

Check out the XSSights ghost ring. I put one on my 39a and love it. It's simple to adjust and rugged. The front sight is a flat top post with a white center stripe. The flat top is a big aid to accuracy. It's the same type setup used in hipower competitions for long range shooting. With a bead front sight the light changes the apparent top of the bead so consistency is impossible. Just putting the bead on the target works for short distances but at longer ranges it covers the entire target making the use of the top required.

One tip on using a ghost ring is to not "try" to center the front sight in the ring. Look through the ring (you shouldn't really be aware of seeing it at all) and trust your eye to center the front sight. If you "try" to center it you will be inconsistent and frustrated (speaking from experience).

I'm putting the XSSights on my new Marlin 1894 .357 before it even goes for its first range trip. I will also be replacing the Williams on my Marlin 336 (.35 Rem) with the XSSights so I can have consistent sights on my lever guns.

azredhawk44

I put some Williams FoolProof sights (with Target Knobs) on my Marlin 795 this last weekend.

Wow, fantastic!

The click-micrometer adjustments are quite fine and the manufacturer targets them to be right around 0.25MOA, but that figure is ultimately dependent upon sight radius and length of receiver/barrel.

On my 795, the sight adjustments turned out to be right around 0.33 MOA after front and rear sight installation.

If you favor a COM hold, the fiber optic front sight is fantastic. Bunnies, beware! If you like a 6 o'clock hold then you'll want a black front sight, IMO.

I have no concerns about the aluminum alloy of the rear sight.

These are much better than the less expensive TechSights available for Marlin and Ruger rimfire rifles. You can tailor your zero more accurately, which is important for a small game harvesting .22 rifle.

salvadore

My 30 yr old 39A with a 6 power leopold shoots 1/2" groups at 50 yds, unfortunately it won't shoot 1" groups at 100 yds. I put the lyman peep on it years ago and it shoots under an inch at 50 yds. I'm amazed at the accuracy of this rifle, two piece stock, heavy trigger etc. Anyway, I like the Lyman.