Peep Sights and 30-30s

Dogger

I like hunting deer with a nicely scoped bolt action rifle. But where I hunt -- you find the deer at close range -- in the thickets, maybe a 50 yard shot max given all the brush and cover. So...

Finally broke down and bought a Williams FP receiver sight for my Marlin 336CS. Had to crank the sight down as far as it would go and was still concerned I would be shooting high. Removed the front sight hood so I could see the front post better. Purchased a box each of Winchester 150 grain Silvertips, Winchester 150 grain powerpoints, and Remington 150 grain Corelokts and headed to the range.

The peep is quick and at 50 yards all three varieties of cartridges shot to the same point of impact and shot into about an inch or so if I did my part. All the rounds landed about an inch higher than I expected. I figure that being an inch high at 50 will put me around 2 inches high at 100, dead on at 150, and around 5 inches low at 200. Shucks, at that range the front sight post would most likely cover the whole deer from shoulders to chest hairs anyway...

Best part of it all is the 30-30 is short and light and easy handling, and with no scope, it carries easy in the field. What a sweet heart!

I can buy boxes of 30-30 Silvertips at WallyWorld for less than $9 for 20.

This ain't no sexy magnum blaster -- but I bet it gets the job done!!

Did I say it was EASY to carry around all day??

I can hardly wait for next deer season...

:) :D :)

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Sounds like you worked out a great package for what you need! Great!

Have you looked into the "Ghost Ring" idea, for peep sights? It's intended for quick target acquisition, at the shorter ranges.

Art

jjmorgan64

can't beat the peeps on a 30-30

the ring can be removed if you want to faster acquisition, you just use the outide that the the peep screws in to, you can also find smaller peeps to screw in for more precise, although slower work,

i had to replace the front sight on my winchester to a taller post in order for mine to work,

have fun with it

ronin308

Wild West Guns

I really want to put a Wild West Guns ghost ring/Williams fire sight combo on my 336...I just need to come up with the cash, too many accessories to buy! Argh! :)

gitarmac

I just got me a 30/30 too! I have a 308 but my friends dad has a used winchester 30/30 for 100 bucks! At first I said I wasn't interested but changed my mind. It has a weaver side mounted scope, so I'll be able to use the iron sights if I want to. I can't afford an ar15 but decided (with input from this very sight!) that a 30/30 would be a good shtf gun. It's politically correct, popular ammo, and although not a semi, you could concievably shove rounds in the magazine as you need to.

I'm kinda exited, I don't know what model it is but my friends dad checked it out and shot it and I trust his input. Tommorrow is the last day of deer season here, it's all cleaned up for me to use next year! I'll be shooting it before then though, it will be more fun to shoot at the range than my 308.