Peep Sight for 10/22?

JohnKSa

Administrator
I'm looking at putting a peep sight on my 10/22.

I've had good luck with Williams Foolproof apertures in the past, but don't know how they will work/fit on a 10/22.

Does anyone have any experience with these or other peep sights that they would recommend for this rifle?

Thanks,

John

Secmat

I put the Williams peep on my 10/22 (and others) and have found it to work very well. It does not turn it into a target rifle; I just shoot better with a peep.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Are y'all talking about the Guide sight or the micrometer adjustable Foolproof sight?

The guide sight is adjustable by loosening screws and sliding the sight. It's fairly compact and goes for $35-45.

The Foolproof is adjustable by loosening locking screws and then turning the click adjustable elevation and windage screws or knobs. This sight isn't exactly compact, it takes some real estate on the back of the receiver if it's anything like the other versions of the Foolproof I've used on other guns. I think the Foolproof for the 10/22 runs between $60-75.

Thanks,

John

Mike Kilo Niner

TomB,

In general, yes. I tried an Ashley Outdoors ghost ring sight from Brownell's, and using the stock front sight put POI and POA in different counties. There's a William's kit that I've been quite happy with, probably the one others are mentioning, that came with a new front sight. So far I've been very pleased.

Edward429451

Yes you have to replace the front sight with the one provided with the Williams peep. (My gunsmith who did the front sight for me hadnt had enough coffee, and reinstalled the original factory sight after pulling it! They look alot alike so check it out when you pick it up to be sure!)

Unkel Gilbey

Brownell's sells a matched set...

A regular front sight/rear sight combo. These should be an easy install for anyone with even basic tool skills.

Just drift out the original front sight, and replace it with the kit supplied front. Then just mount the rear sight on top of the receiver in the scope mount holes and with the exception of sighting it in, you're done.

As you probably already know, 10/22's were once availiable from the factory with receiver sights, and these little deals were quite the trick. Looked the the same kind you normally see on a bolt gun, being built right into the receiver and the stock. Boy, what I wouldn't give to have one of those little sweethearts!

Anyway, go to the Brownell's website, and type in '10/22 receiver sight combo', and see what you get. I need to save up some more lunch money and move this upgrade to a higher spot on my priority list before I do it, but it looks like a really good deal to me.

Unkel Gilbey

VictorLouis

My WGRS rear aperture did not come with a front sight. I guess that's a separate item you must buy?:rolleyes: I'm beginning to think that I should've ordered the Zephyr system that looks like HK's sights. Oh well, back to the Brownell's catalog.:)

JohnKSa

Administrator
VictorLouis,

The WGRS sights are available as:

Rear sight only
Rear sight and front sight (in two front sight heights)
Rear sight and FireSight front sight

By getting the rear sight only, you saved about 10 bucks over the combos. If you were able to zero your gun then you didn't need to spend the extra $$.

No one has the Foolproof on their 10/22??? :(

Thanks for the feedback on the WGRS sights.

John

Edward429451

I got the Zepher sights first and used em' for awhile, but the rear sight assembly is pretty cheaply made and has alot of movement available to it when installed. POS. But the HK style front sight with a black post is very good, I like it.

The replacement front sight is necessary for either the Williams or Zepher setups because it needs extra height to be regulated to the rear sight.

The Zepher rear sight is crap in my book, and the Williams front sight is not crap but just not to my preference, at least compared to the Zepher post. I really dig that black tapered post of the Zepher instead of a bead up front so I put the Williams rear on combined with the Zepher front (Which is taller than the factory sight and regulates well with the Williams rear), and voila'! A sweet shootin setup, even if it is bastardized.

(The apetures in the Williams like to loosen up alot, loctite it or keep checking it if you dont want to lose it)

edited to add: (Now that I think about it, I think I did get the Williams front sight seperately, but at the same time.)

Last edited:

Chugach

JohnKSa,

I just returned a 10/22 Foolproof to Williams and had them ship the combo: Williams Guide Receiver Sight (WGRS) along with a FireSight front sight.

I'm capable of minor gunsmithing, but I clearly mis-read the literature for the Foolproof: "drilling and tapping required." Two holes would be necessary on the left side of the receiver, and I'm not currently equipped to do that. I'm sure any competent gunsmith could pull it off with absolutely no problem.

The WGRS won't be as easy to sight in:

Unscrewing the aperture reveals two screws. The middle-position, smaller screw loosens the carrier assembly for sliding to the correct elevation adjustment. The larger loosens the aperture receptacle for windage sliding adjustment. Screw the aperture back in, and repeat this paragraph as needed.

Not nearly as precise as the micrometer adjustments on the Foolproof, but adequate.

Drift out the factory front sight, and replace with the included riser block and the 0.450" high, medium base FireSight.

I was lusting after the Foolproof and had planned to equip it with target knobs. Maybe next time 'round!

I'll give you a report from the range. I need to find a brass punch so I can drift the front sight out...

JohnKSa

Administrator
Two holes would be necessary on the left side of the receiver, and I'm not currently equipped to do that. I'm sure any competent gunsmith could pull it off with absolutely no problem.

Chugach,

That is exactly the kind of information you can't get out of Brownell's!

Thanks for the feedback--it looks like I'll be purchasing a WGRS sight set.

Good shooting,

John

PS. You'll be surprised to find out how little the aperture size affects your accuracy--you can skip removing and reinstalling your aperture during the sight-in with virtually no effect.

VictorLouis

My Ruger is a work-in-progress

so, I haven't installed the WGRS yet. Hopefully, I will be able to get by with the stock front. If not, I think I may go with the Zephyr front, myself. Thanks to all for he information posted here.:)

Chugach

John,

I've done it again! Sometimes I'm not very clear when I write (or speak, for that matter).

What I meant to say was that you can't reach the adjustment screws until you unscrew the aperture. Then you have ready access and you can use a jeweler's screwdriver.

Only problem now is VictorLouis and Edward429451 have got me thinking about the Zephyr front sight. I really like a plain post. Sounds like an end of summer project...

Let me know how it goes. I'm hoping to make it back down to the range within the next two weeks.

Chugach