peening? An explanation?

PoorRichRichard

Can someone give me a good explanation of the peening of a gun barrel? Maybe post some comparative pictures of a barrel that is peened (not sure if that is the correct use of the word), and a health barrel from the same type of gun.

As always, thank you for the wealth of knowledge this site has provided me.

Pahoo

Barrel Damage ??

Is this in regards to the barrel peening problems in the Ruger SR9 ???

In a previous life, we use to send out conveying piping, out for peening and basically they would peen little dimples or pits on the inside of the piping wall. Obviously this would not be a good thing on the inside of a barrel. .. :(

Be Safe !!!

PoorRichRichard

No Sir, it's possibly in regard to a 22 rimfire rifle barrel. I've been advised that my light primer strikes might be due to a peened barrel, and I'm trying to gather some knowledge on what the heck a peened barrel is, as well as possible fixes.

Salmoneye

Too much dry firing of a rimfire will 'peen' a spot where the firing pin contacts the chamber mouth...

What this does is makes a 'dent' so that when you then attempt to fire a live round, the firing pin makes contact with the rim of the cartridge, but there is sufficient room for the rim to deform into the peened area...This can often lead to not enough 'pinch' to fire the priming compound...

Salmoneye

Area top dead center that looks like a half moon...

Lousy pic, but I did it quickly:

1ghwes.jpg

PoorRichRichard

Salmoneye, you are freakin' awesome. That is a totally understandable explanation, and I thank you for it. I just looked at my barrel, and I do see a slight indentation where the pin might be hitting/deforming due to dry fires. I know this gun has been dry fired more than a few times because the bolt rarely locks back once the magazine has been emptied. Need to count the rounds from now on and stop letting my friends shoot it so much if they are going to continue to dry fire the damn thing.

Thank you,
-rich

PoorRichRichard

Salmoneye. I noticed that the pin indentation on the picture you posted is at the top side of the chamber (this seems to be true of my gun as well). 2 quick questions: 1) does the pin cosistantly hit the same area of the rim (top side), and if so, 2) is it always on the top side of the chamber for every 22, or do others hit consistently in different locations?

mete

The term 'peening' describes hammering of metal . This may be a surface finishing process , "shot peening " where the surface is blasted with steel shot similar to sand blasting.
For undesirable effects it describes any upsetting of metal from a hammering by other parts. For example a 22 auto pistol -eventually the rear of the barrel and breech face will show peening from the constant hammering of barrel to breech.

Salmoneye

1) does the pin cosistantly hit the same area of the rim (top side), and if so, 2) is it always on the top side of the chamber for every 22, or do others hit consistently in different locations?

Yes...

The firing pin is in the same spot all the time...

Yes...

Most firing pins on the .22 rimfires I am familiar with, are top center...

gyvel

Salmoneye, you are freakin' awesome. That is a totally understandable explanation, and I thank you for it. I just looked at my barrel, and I do see a slight indentation where the pin might be hitting/deforming due to dry fires. I know this gun has been dry fired more than a few times because the bolt rarely locks back once the magazine has been emptied. Need to count the rounds from now on and stop letting my friends shoot it so much if they are going to continue to dry fire the damn thing.

First of all, .22 rimfire guns should NOT be dry fired at all due to the fact that the firing pin will hit the breech end of the barrel and cause that "peening" which will eventually interfere with feeding.

There are a few guns made that have small clearance spaces milled at the breech end to allow the gun to be dry fired, but they are few and far between.

If you have to dry fire the gun, invest a couple of bucks on some "snap caps" (readily available on eBay) which will prevent the firing pin from hitting and peening the breech.

I don't know what kind of gun you have, but, if the mag is not locking it open as it should on a regular basis, the first step would be to give everything a good cleaning.

gyvel

Yes...

The firing pin is in the same spot all the time...

Yes...

Most firing pins on the .22 rimfires I am familiar with, are top center...

Yes, it is true that the firing pin will hit at the same spot at all times in a specific weapon, but NO, it is not true that all weapons hit at top dead center (12:00).

Where the firing pin hits, obviously, depends on how the bolt is constructed. Many .22s hit at 3:00, some I have seen at 6:00, and even others at 9:00

Salmoneye

Yes, it is true that the firing pin will hit at the same spot at all times in a specific weapon, but NO, it is not true that all weapons hit at top dead center (12:00).

Where the firing pin hits, obviously, depends on how the bolt is constructed. Many .22s hit at 3:00, some I have seen at 6:00, and even others at 9:00

I, for one, would like to thank you for repeating what I clearly stated...

Most that "I" know of hit at top dead center (12-O'Clock)...

I did not say 'All'...

Don H

Some Rugers allow for dry firing. The manual for my 22/45:
The pistol can be dry fired as long as the firing pin stop is in place

The manual for my 10/22:
The rifle can be “dry fired” for practice as long as it is empty and pointed in a safe direction.