PDX1 v. Ranger Ammo

BarryLee

Ok, this is one of those things that at the end of the day doesn’t really matter, but I would still like to know. I was at the range the other day and after shooting struck up a conversation with some other customers.

The subject of carry ammo came up and I mentioned that I liked the Winchester PDX1 for my handguns. One of the guys said that is what the FBI uses, but that Winchester uses the Ranger name for the law enforcement market. He insisted that PDX1 and Ranger were the same ammo and the only difference was how it was marketed.

I did a little research on the internet and seem to be getting conflicting answers. So, are Winchester PDX1 and Ranger ammo the same?

Glockstar .40

they are very similar but not the same. to my knowledge pdx1 is bonded and designed to stay accurate when shooting through windows and doors etc....which is why the FBI carries them. it has little talons that expand but dont compare to the talons of the ranger T (consistently) ranger T has some nasty talons and expansion.

there may be more differences, but to my knowledge besides price, these are the only ones.

CountryUgly

Well I read the the thread and went and grabbed a round of each. The PDX is what I carry and the Ranger was the cheaper stuff I got to shoot with most days. A visual inspection and they sure do not look the same. Ranger plain brass case, PDX nickel plated case and the design of the hollow point itself looks completely different. Just sayin.....

Rampant_Colt

Two completely different bullet designs. Ranger-T is unbonded and has the sharp 'talons'; PDX1 is bonded and doesn't have the talons.

Cheapshooter

He insisted that PDX1 and Ranger were the same ammo and the only difference was how it was marketed.

Ranger Bonded, not Ranger T. Still cheaper than the PDX1, but with brass case, not nickle plated brass.

BurkGlocker

Ranger Bonded is the same thing as the PDX1, only cheaper for 50 rnds vs. 20 rnds. There is also a Q4369 loading (180 gr Bonded WWB) that look like factory seconds, especially after what I have seen with the cup at the base of the bullet being indented during manufacturing process, and not flat like the base of the PDX1 bullets, but yet, perform almost the same.

Ranger T-Series is an updated and improved version of the Ranger SXT, whose predecessor is the Winchester Black Talon.

There are Winchester Ranger rounds that use regular JHP projectiles (135 and 155 gr Ranger JHP 40 S&W loadings come to mind).

Burk

BurkGlocker

+1 for sgammo.com

I have done alot of business with them in the past and they have a large selection of ammunition with decent prices...

Burk

peacefulgary

I've seen a few videos of clothing clogging the hollow-point of the PDX1 ammo causing it to fail to expand.

I know that this is a possibility with virtually all hollow-points, but is the PDX1 ammo more prone to do so than other ammo?

BurkGlocker

I knew I had these sitting around somewhere:

IMAG0106.jpg

22-03-10_2046-1.jpg

Hopefully I am not hijacking the thread...

Burk