PDX1 124 grain +P G26

garryc

I went to the shop for some SD ammo for my G26 and found pickins slim. I bought 2 boxes of Winchester PDX1 124 grain +P.

I looked up the Ballistic Gel tests, they looked OK. Normally I like Federal HST's but I don't see great difference.

JERRYS.

with most of the "top brands" of ammo you will see very little if any difference in the actual performance. every ammo maker uses marketing hype to promote their product..... remember the speer gold dot G2? that's sort of faded from conversation now....

garryc

Wel, you look at those "tests" and the one I looked at was this 9mm short barrel ammo quest. The Vids look too good actually and the guy seems to push Federal HST's. The guys says he doesn't receive anything from Federal. but you gotta kind of wonder.

JDBerg

The Win PDX1 124 grain +P JHPs were OK to shoot from my P30. But the Hornady American Gunner 124 grain +P ammo was cheaper, more readily available, and a bit more accurate from my P30. Since I have to be able to practice with my carry ammo, I've pretty much settled on this Hornady AG ammo. But YMMV shooting those PDX1's from a G26.

Oysterboy

I have two 25 rnd boxes of Hornady 115 FTX. Each box were $22. Last time I was in Academy I saw a 50 rnd box of WWB 115 JHP Personal Protection for $19.95 so I grabbed it. If they're not very good I'll just shoot them at targets.

When I got home I looked it up on YouTube and there was only one gel test done with the WWB PP. The results were good.

Hmm...

9x18_Walther

PDX1 is bonded. Regular HST is not (there is a bonded variant for LE called "Tactical Bonded"). You are comparing apples to oranges.

PDX1 will penetrate more and expand less.

HST will penetrate less and expand more.

PDX1 is the exact same thing as Ranger Bonded (which a lot of departments use). The closest thing to HST from Winchester is Ranger-T (which is sold to LE only).

Either will work.

jmhyer

I tend to subscribe to the "heavy for caliber" philosophy. For 9mm, all of my defensive ammo is 147grain JHP, regardless of manufacturer.

Last edited:

9x18_Walther

I'm tend to subscribe to the "heavy for caliber" philosophy. For 9mm, all of my defensive ammo are 147grain JHPs, regardless of manufacturer.

Agreed. Pretty much any good JHP in 9mm is sufficient. 147 grain 9mm rounds have gotten a bad rap in the past since they were developed for suppressed SMGs, but the standard pressure and subsonic nature makes the felt recoil ideal for self defense. Not to mention, developments in 147 grain 9mm makes today rounds nothing like the old Silvertips.

Fishbed77

I've found that PDX1 124 gr +P, for some reason, has a vastly different point-of-impact in my 9mm pistols, compared to other 124 grain HP and practice ammo. Not sure why, but for that reason, I'm not a big fan of it.