PCC or 300 blk pistol

Jacket67

Hey TFL,

What would be the pros/cons to one vs. the other? I'm interested in both, but have no experience with either. I feel they both fit the niche of fun gun shooting, home/property defense, suppressed capabilities, and possible pig hunting.

If you have experience with both or either platform, what are your takeaways or suggestions?

If I got the pcc, I'd be looking at one in .45acp to pair with a glock 30 I intend to purchase in the near future. Do you prefer a different caliber for your pcc, and if so, why?

Thanks in advance.

9x19

Factory ammo for the .300 AAC will be more expensive. Hand-loading, you can get some pretty impressive gains in velocity with longer barrels in 9mm and 10mm, and those would be my preference over the .45.

For pig hunting, i would choose the .300AAC over the pistol rounds.

Sharkbite

Ive been heavily into 300blk for about 5 years. I think its a great caliber for a shorter barreled gun. 9-12” seems to be the sweet spot.

Its big advantage over PCC’s is the ability to shoot the super-sonic loads avail. That means you can shoot 7.62x39 power level ammo or swap mags and shoot sub-sonic pistol level ammo. All with just a mag change

I shoot VERY little subsonic ammo though mine (a 9” AAC SBR) Preferring 110-125 gn supers. This gives me a gun that is...

The size of an MP5
The ergos of an AR
The power of an AK
Suppresses well (even with supers)

The downside to 300blk is ammo cost. I load for it, so its not too bad. But, it will never be as cheap to shoot as 9mm or 223.

MTT TL

For pig hunting the 300 will be best. You can achieve .30-30 levels of power with the 300 and none of the regular PCC loads will come close to that.

They run fine with a can too. Suppressed you can shoot without ear pro, same with subsonic PCC rounds as well.

For HD it kind of depends upon your situation and the particulars of that. Either would do well. You are going to have to figure out what SD ammo works in a PCC though. It isn't as simple as you might think. Modern ammo is factory built to work in a certain velocity window. The AR pistol 300 blackout is the new trunk gun. Not being a long gun it is not subject to long gun laws in many states and provides a powerful backup. Ironically the 45 PCC is a long gun. The caveat is that if you get a can you can't take it across state lines without a paperwork drill.

For fun shooting the PCC in 9mm will be much cheaper, and lighter recoiling than 300 and of course the 45.

MGMorden

I've got 1 of each (both in AR platforms). My cal of choice for PCC is 9mm just because it's cheap ammo and PCC's for me are about fun shooting.

For fun, PCC's rock. Little recoil, cheap ammo.

For home defense - either will work. PCC will have a little less chance of overpenetrating.

Suppressed - depends. You can go subsonic on either but "suppressed" isn't generally an end use. What are you planning on doing while shooting suppressed?

Hunting - I'd never hunt with a PCC unless it was all I had. .300 Blk out would fare FAR better there. That said, I also don't hunt with my .300 Blackout either. I've got it setup to do so if I ever wanted to but for me, I just can't see myself taking an AR hunting. Nothing against it but I just love a good bolt gun for hunting.

MagnumWill

Something not mentioned is if you decide to go with .300BLK, if you own a 5.56 AR you need to be extremely careful with your ammunition. If you have a handgun-caliber PCC it's not a concern. I view .300BLK as superior in almost every way (save for cost), but I own far too many 5.56 AR's to even take the chance with mixing up a magazine. I went with a 9mm AR pistol instead.

bfoosh006

Love my 300BK... more expensive to shoot but worth it.

My 9MM PCC is a cheap, fun 100yd AR. Blowbacks typically benefit from heavy recoil springs and buffers... I run a Tubbs 308 recoil spring and 7.5ish oz buffer... dramatically cut back on bark and blast.

Plan on polishing the feed ramps as well.

300BK upper w/ BCG is all you need for an existing AR...for the 9MM or 45.. you'd need a dedicated lower or mag block.

So.... get em' both.... is my vote. ( Lol )

raimius

MTT, there is no ATF paperwork required to transport suppressors across state lines. They are not included in that requirement, like an SBR/SBS, MG, etc would be.

Doesn't make much sense, but I won't complain about less paperwork.

Nanuk

10mm pcc would be my vote. Good for any normal hunting range and can be found in anemic .40 short and weak load levels or full power 10mm loads.

If you think the 40 is anemic you must not like the 45 ACP, 9mm, 38 Special.....................

My 40 AR pistol will run 155 grn HST's around 1400-1450 FPS with an 8.5" BBL.

9x19

Nanuk,

I think precision_shooter just said you can find 10mm ammo in both light (.40 S&W level) and heavy loads... not that the .40 S&W cartridge is inherently anemic, although most factory loads are... in every cartridge.

So those .40 HST velocities you posted are from standard pressure factory loads?

I haven't chrono'd anything out of my 10-inch 10mm... but I like the way it handles and shoots.

if8w8zz.jpg

Last edited:

smee78

I have both a 300BLK and a 45acp AR pistols and use them for two different roles. The 300 was purposely built for running with a can for fun (but if a pig gets in the way). The 45 AR pistol was built for cheap shooting and for home defense. Both are fun shooters but the 45 is cheaper to feed with factory ammo. The 300 allows me to swap from subs to supers with a mag change and can be used for most of the roles you listed.

Nanuk

But a 300blk will send a 125gn @2100fps from the same barrel length and a 110gn blacktip even faster.

It will. I was replying to his assertion that the 40 was anemic. 700+ FPE is not anemic.

Nanuk

Nanuk,

I think precision_shooter just said you can find 10mm ammo in both light (.40 S&W level) and heavy loads... not that the .40 S&W cartridge is inherently anemic, although most factory loads are... in every cartridge.

So those .40 HST velocities you posted are from standard pressure factory loads?

Those are contract run loads. They run 1200 FPS in a 4.5" BBL. Truth be known most 10mm loads are not much faster than most 40 loads.

9x19

So... How would you characterize those .40 factory loads when compared to your 'contract run load'? :D

Nanuk obviously has it all figured out and can hotrod .40 S&W to ALMOST equal factory loaded 10mm, but 10mm does it with 180gr bullets and doesn’t need to drop down in weight to gain velocity. Hmmmmm. Put a 155gr HST in a full power 10mm then .40 SHORT AND WEAK remains SHORT AND WEAK comparably. I get it, you’re a .40 fan. Nothing wrong with that...:eek:

bfoosh006

Just to play Devils Advocate.... AND DO NOT THINK any powder can be used !!

The Ramshot Data clearly said to use only in a fully supported barrel....NO Glocks.

Un supported barrels would blow the case out... or produce the dreaded "Guppy Brass" there were even sizing dies specifically produced for Guppy Brass... does anyone still use those ?

glock-brass-guppy-jpg.23129

hgsty.jpg

Anyway...

Ramshot used to have published data with one of their powders that was crazy fast. My 5" 1911 with a fully supported barrel, chrono'd 1373fps with the published minimum charge weight and a Horn. 155gr XTP.

Firing the rounds didn't feel abusive at the minimum charge weight... but the FPS made me not go past the minimum.

"If" memory serves me the max charge weight claimed 1470ish FPS.

Data for .45 ACP 185gr, 40 S&W 155gr, and 9x19 147gr. ... all using the same powder and none of the bullets seated "long".

AGAIN ... a fully supported barrel is critical for safe use of the data.

Nanuk

So... How would you characterize those .40 factory loads when compared to your 'contract run load'?

I have no idea, I have never shot any off the shelf 40 besides cheap ammo for IDPA.