Pay to Play

KySilverado

Picked up an 1885 Uberti in 45-70 a couple weeks back. I've been reloading 45-70 for a while and have several loaded up with 300g bullets. Wanted to try some 500g.

Found these today at a Gun Shop that I'd never been to. A little over a $1.00 a piece. :eek: Guess I should be happier. They were marked down from $65 a box.:D

IMG_10081Large.jpg

riverwalker76

Those are Elk bullets! :p

To be honest ... I don't target shoot with them. I can't afford it. Try target shooting with some 500 gr. lead bullets, and reserve those for heavy game. Start out with a light load to begin. I shoot a 10 ga. during duck season, and I don't even like shooting my 45-70 with 500 gr. RN bullets. A limbsaver pad or shooting shirt might be the next thing you look into. :)

What part of KY do you hail? I'm near Owensboro.

Christchild

Bro, that's a box of 50 Hornady 500 gr. INTERBOND RN in .458"! For a buck~n~change apiece. Very fine find and not a bad price. I think...no...I KNOW that You did a mighty fine job! +1 KySilverado!!!

That will be a mighty force in the woods to be reckoned with. Game Taker and SideArm all~in~one, of sorts. Had I a nice .45-70, I would be very pleased to own that box of bullets as an addition to the others.

Please stay safe and enjoy that Premium Load Development!

And do know, that a Bonded Core bullet is softer than a Non-Bonded Core bullet because the bonding process anneals the jacket, so expansion is much more easy to achieve.

If Hornady made a 150 gr. Interbond RN (and a FLAT BASE!) in .277", I'd be all over it! Hornady, please go back to our roots (YOUR Roots, as well!) and put a modern upgrade on it! The seekers of ultra-high ballistic coefficients have dominated the market and we .270 Winchester Fans have almost nowhere to go to find a 150 grain RN/FB bullet, other than Norma Oryx. C'mon, Hornady!!! 150 grain Interlock Interbond RN/FB in .277", PALEEEAAASE?!?!?!

Last edited:

KySilverado

RiverWalker76 said:
Those are Elk bullets!

To be honest ... I don't target shoot with them. I can't afford it. Try target shooting with some 500 gr. lead bullets, and reserve those for heavy game. Start out with a light load to begin. I shoot a 10 ga. during duck season, and I don't even like shooting my 45-70 with 500 gr. RN bullets. A limbsaver pad or shooting shirt might be the next thing you look into.

What part of KY do you hail? I'm near Owensboro.

Yeah not practical for target shooting but I couldn't find any lead bullets. Nothing big enough around here to hunt with these. :)

I loaded up some 500g in 45-70 years ago that I shot in my Contender and they weren't unbearable but then again I haven't gone back. I figure the weight of the Uberti will soak a lot of it up but do intend to start low and work my way up.

I'm near Lexington. Actually bought these at Whittaker Guns along with a new rifle today. Gotta be the best stocked shop I've ever been in!

riverwalker76

I'm familiar with Whittaker's. I go there twice a week! It was definitely worth your drive ... wasn't it?

Hey not to hijack your thread or anything, but do you know the fella who owns Sling Point Firearms, INc?

We have a big show coming up at the end of the month. You ought to pop back in for that!

KySilverado

ChristChild said:
Bro, that's a box of 50 Hornady 500 gr. INTERBOND RN in .458"! For a buck~n~change apiece. Very fine find and not a bad price. I think...no...I KNOW that You did a mighty fine job! +1 KySilverado!!!

Hahaha. You've got me motivated to go buy up the rest of them.... and do some research on the bullet design. Develop a good load and keep them around should a wild elephant escape the Circus.:D

KySilverado

Riverwalker76 said:
I'm familiar with Whittaker's. I go there twice a week! It was definitely worth your drive ... wasn't it?

Hey not to hijack your thread or anything, but do you know the fella who owns Sling Point Firearms, INc?

We have a big show coming up at the end of the month. You ought to pop back in for that!

Whittaker's is hands down the best gun shop I've ever been in. Wish I'd had more time to spend there and will definitely be back. Good prices and DAMN what a selection in stock. A buddy at work told me about it and I dropped in on my way home from some work in Indiana.

I know of the Sling Point. Not the guy that owns it. I think they've been set up in the last couple Gun Shows at Rupp. I need to stay away from shows for a bit :D I've bought too many guns in the last couple months.

Christchild

Hahaha. You've got me motivated to go buy up the rest of them.... and do some research on the bullet design. Develop a good load and keep them around should a wild elephant escape the Circus.

:D Even tho 500 gr. is on the heavy side...ay...150 gr. is heavy-for-.270, also. A 500 Interbond RN for .45-70 Gov. is almost like using a Barnes Buster...hard hittin' heavies, only You will (or should I say, expansion is more possible) achieve expansion...awesome. Yes, 500 grains of bullet weight will make it thump pretty good on Your shoulder, but when You're squared off with Your quarry, You won't even feel that recoil...PLUS expansion. You have a Centerfire Muzzleloader SlugGun!

If You're willing to pay around $1 per bullet, try the 250 gr. Barnes TSX, if You haven't already. That's what my Dad uses for his .45-70...'tis an awesome bullet.

KySilverado

Loaded up 20 toady. The lightest load published with powder I had in my Hornady book for the 500g bullet. Need to find a special target to test them on.

After loading up 22 Hornet and 357 Rem Max for the last few days these things look mean :D

IMG_1011Large.jpg

KySilverado

Not going to hunt with them. Paper more than likely. Expensive for that but I wanted a jacketed 500g and the only I could find on a shelf.

Don't know what velocity they perform but from the Hornady manual load I used, published @ 1500 fps in a 22" barreled Ruger #1. I should see a tad more than that in my 32" barreled Uberti.

Ozzieman

530 GR Postell or 500 GR Round nose flat point beveled base
250 for $75 and that’s delivered.
I have never tried his heavy bullets but I have tried his 370 spitzers with great success in my rolling block 45/70. The nice thing about his bullets is that you can pick the diameter and you can get them soft or very hard cast.
Give them a try you will be happy.

After loading up 22 Hornet and 357 Rem Max for the last few days these things look mean

An empty 45/70 case looks mean:eek:

http://www.pennbullets.com/4570/4570-caliber.html

Christchild

A little over a $1.00 a piece. Guess I should be happier. They were marked down from $65 a box.

Yeah, sometimes we wish we hadn't spent that much money on a box of something that isn't really necessary, and is more so on the "far side" of any kind of a need, but we as handloaders do some of that sometimes. It's also a very nice addition to a man's bullet-stock.

I have some bullets that are quite expensive, but were bought on a couple of notions. I have 2 boxes of 20 Barnes MRX 150 gr. Those are $1.50 apiece!

Were they necessary? Pfff! No indeed!

Would they be uber-nice to develop a good load (quickly) and bring them on an Elk hunt, should I EVER get to? Koowee! Ultra Premium and a Top Performer! Loaded in new Norma brass, plus charged with Fed. 210M and IMR4350! A little extra confidence on the ammo-end goes a long way.

Now, I can drop the same Elk just as quick with a 110 gr. TTSX...just like You, KySilverado, can drop the same Elk (or elephant) with a lighter bullet, especially one of the same construction...in this case Interbond RN. I mean, there's quite a bit that most of us handloaders do that is by no means necessary, but THIS is Our Thing. Our Thing just happens to come with some Pretty-Kickin'-Benefits and Advantages. This is a Passion.

Try to not feel "too bad", Bro. :D Enjoy those Beast-O-Bullets!