Patterson's Africa revisited

Dr.Rob

Staff Alumnus
I was watching outdoor life network this morning, a show called adventure quest about a group of guys climbing Kilimanjaro and then walking all the way to Tsavo to the Indian Ocean (some 300 miles away) The walk takes over 2 weeks. Its starts off normally enough in rain gear, nylon shorts etc walking up kilimanjaro in crampons over ice fields reaching the summit and taking photos and suddenly on the way down..

They stop to meet a game ranger and pick upa BUNCH of rilfes and web gear for the long dangerous trek. they talk about the dangers of Hippos, Lion and Rhino and tell the famous story at the bridge where 'Man Eaters of Tsavo" was written over 100 years ago by famed Col. patterson.

AMAZING shots of guys (pefectly legaly) pointing rifles defensively at all kinds of dangerous game (lions, buffalo, hippos, elephants) and telling stories that will rasie your hair.

It should be noted that 4 of the participants are licensed wardens/rangers and had the right to shoot dangerous game, and at one point even debated culling a few marauding elephants.

I love this network.. just when you THINK you are watching one thing you are actually watching something else. They discuss conservation in a rational format including the hunter as an active part of wildlife management.

Anyhow... the rifles used by the team included:

FAL's
An HK G3
at 1 dangerous game rifle, either a Steyr or CZ by the look of the drop point euro style stock and massive barrel. It was at least a 375 H&H by the diameter of the barrel, maybe even a .458. Massive Mauser action and the rifle was well worn (the mag floorplate was worn grey) and obviously a working gun as opposed to a 'trophy piece".

Some interesting notes:

The rangers RARELY used the slings on thier semi auto rifles, though the rifles had them. The DG rifle, though it had a barrel band for a sling NEVER was seen with a sling. Muzzle discipline was excellent (except for the cameraman who kept looking down the flash supressors).

---------------------------
Here is the scenario:

You are on the same trek.. what weapons do you take and why?? (remember you aren't "hunting")

My choices (based on what I know of africa)

2 FN FAL's (the auo rifles are to protect you from poachers as well as dangerous animals) magazines full of 168gr ball ammo. (if you have to shoot a DG animal you want all the penetration you can get) 6 magazines per rifle.

1 heavy DG caliber rifle, preferably Mauser action. 375 is my fave, however with elephant on the list a 416 is better. Load the magazine with 1 soft point over 2 solids. Maybe 40 rounds of ammo.

And just because I'm an American I'd take a handgun. Not because it has serious utility, but because darn it bwana should have one. I think I'd take a revolver over an auto, 24 rounds total.

Anyway watch the show if you can.. and lets hear what you have to say. Doubles? Lever actions? Would you DARE take an AR-15 here?

Dave R

OK, I'll play.

-The FAL's as you said. However, I might go for 180gr. premium hunting ammo for more shock, but still good penetration.

-Since DG would be defensive, and not hunting, range is not as important as firepower. I would choose a mixture of .45-70 lever guns loaded with HOT ammo (see Rich's Buff thread in Hunting) and 12ga with extended mag tubes, loaded with a mixture of slugs over buck. 12 ga is what? .75 cal?

-Bwana's handgun? Either a Redhawk or a Model 29. .44mag or .45 colt, loaded hot.

Don't see where an AK or an AR would add value in this scenario.

Correia

I think you about have it covered Dr.Rob.

A combo of FALs and dangerous game rifles would just about cover anything. I've never shot one, or even seen one in person, but from my reading I think a .505 Burns would be just perfect. Probably on a CZ550 Mauser action. But then again the most dangerous game I've ever hunted is deer. :)

agtman

Patterson

Actually, Patterson's favorite sporting arm was a magazine rifle in .303 Brit, and though it was a bit of a departure from his account of the Tsavo incident, the movie "The Ghost & The Darkness" was reasonably accurate about the weaponry of the time. Patterson (played by Kilmer) was shown with a highly customized Jeffery Lee-Metford in .303 Brit (some say it was a customized Lee Speed Sporter), shooting the FMJ military round of the day (either a 174 or 215gn bullet). The .303 was widely used in Africa by British sportsmen, who were typically soldiers by profession and hunters when at leisure. Others used either a classic double rifle (e.g., Douglas' character, who was a pure Hollyweird invention, for those who haven't read the book) or a beautiful large caliber Nitro single-shot Fariquarsen (sp?).

I believe Rifle magazine had a recent article indicating that Rigby even built some .303s on Mauser actions, and Jeffery offered it in single-shot Rook-type rifles.

dZ

458 SOCOM Sledgehammer AR upper
5.56 AR upper
FA AR lower with CAR stock

lots o ammo & mags

i gotta be me!

Dr.Rob

Staff Alumnus
I recall Patterson DID use a lee-metford in .303. scary story of him using fmj bullets to drill holes in iron slats to build the 'tiger cage". :eek:

However, we have better cartridges now, what would YOU take?

dz.. how fast can you change that upper when a hippo can run faster than you on land better not drop that accuwedge pin ;) Better find a sturdy tree to climb if that 223 upper is mounted when he charges.

New shorts might be a good idea too. :D

dZ

at least one of the crew keeps 458 mounted at all times unless a firefight with banditos occurs
I wonder if a saboted round could be fired down that maw

the current push pins are a bit of a hassle
but they were not designed for much more than field stripping
i wonder if an inventive chap could engineer a rapid change lower

maybe one of the AR 556 lowers has a 40mm gernade launcher

me thinks that would make even a hippo pause & reconsider his lack of opposable thumbs

"oh dear, i have a huge hole in my mellon and i appear to be on fire"

agtman

"However, we have better cartridges now, what would YOU take?"

Dr. Rob: Well, that would depend on what African game I'm likely to be hunting.

The few safari outfits I've looked into are quite blunt about stressing that Africa has more game to be hunted than just the pricey Big 5 and that for much less expense than it would cost you to fly up to Alaska and take one bear, you can go to Africa and shoot a whole lotta game below the cost of even 1 of the Big 5.

A friend went over last year and took a slew of warthogs, Kudu, Wildebeasts, etc. - something like 18 head, had photos too (No rhinos, buffs, lions elephants, etc.). My jaw hit the floor when he told me the cost for all those animals, something like $4000, not including a few "freebies". However, you still need a species-appropriate caliber for tough African game. To cover all the species he intended to hunt he took one rifle, a 338 Winchester mag.

His type of hunt would be my choice, taking a lot more of the less expensive plains game. However, I'd prefer taking two rifles, my highly customized Lee-Enfield in .303 Brit (for the history & nostalgia aspects), and a BRNO 602 in 375 H&H. The .303 in the heavier bullets (180/215gn - yeah, I reload too) is fine for the smaller animals. The .375 for whatever else pops up. If I'm limited to one rifle/caliber combo, I'd probably take my Ruger #1 in 300 H&H mag.

My friend said a lot of hunters he saw there carried the 7mm Rem. Mag, either as their only gun (backed up by a PH) or as a second, "light" caliber rifle. The 7mm mag is fine, but I prefer the .30 cal's larger frontal area, especially in the heavier 200/220g Barnes or Nosler bullets. Also it's cool (to me) that I'd be hunting over there with a classic British "big game" round. No doubt others will differ.

Last edited:

labgrade

Member In Memoriam
Interesting enough, we just (after an 8-month TV hiatus) picked up a new satelite receiver ... commercials haven't changed one bit. :( & we picked up the "100 network" which doesn't include OLN. The Good Dr is right re OLN - they have a pretty "amusing mix" at times re their programing from my previous recollection.

Although I can't "play" re somes rifles (just don't have the where-with-all to know), I'd buy into a semi .308 (or two) with 165-ish Barnes X bullets for all-round & gee-whiz/anti-fodder. They'll be solids enough & expand when counted on. Enough said there. A bolt would work plenty fine w/o the "poacher-types" - maybe with.

A .45-70 lever, or two, with heavy casts would seem to cover most of the bases for the rest.

& me too, re a revolver. Just 'cause "it's Africa," (& I'm me) I'd want a .44 mag. Again - heavy casts with a coupla those 18 wallet packs. One stuffed with more heavies & another w/down-loadeds for small game fodder. (pssst - though can't help but want my :barf:&:barf:317 .22 8-shot with another extra 30-pack for the l'il stuff that has to be crawlin' around - too handy not to have around)

Wondering how many times any on this "safari" actually had to shoot anything at all .... I'd suspect that most of us would want to take much more than would actually be "required."