Patterned my new/old 870 Police trade in today...

rantingredneck

I took some time during my range trip today to pattern test my new-old 870 Police. Got this gun from Budsgunshop.com a few weeks back. It was a KY State Police trade in. Specs are 20" RS fixed IC barrel. 3" chamber with speedfeed I stocks. I added a +2 extension I had on hand and then ran across a decent deal on a +3 extension and swapped it out. Before today I had not had a chance to shoot this gun so I wanted to do some function and pattern testing so it can take it's place in the HD lineup.

DSC02361.jpg

So today at the range I ran about 200 rounds of birdshot through it just popping cans on the 25 yd berm. Mostly just making sure it ran right. Not a hitch. No sticky extractions like are sometimes experienced with newer express guns. Then I did some slug plinking at 50 yds. The sights were a little high and right and I didn't really take time to adjust them. Will do that on a subsequent trip as I didn't have a whole lot of time to dedicate to it today.

Then I went back to the 25 yd berm to do some pattern testing with my typical 00 buck loads. This is where I realized that I had not brought any of one particular load (Federal F12700) that I meant to test today. I did have some Federal LE12700 (my typical HD load) and Remington Express 2 3/4" 9 pellet. So I decided to make do with just the two.

I set up targets on the moveable target stands at 12 yds. This is 2 yards or so farther than the longest shot I could possibly take within my home. I also set up a larger target (deer vitals) at 25 yds to see what each load does at this range from this gun. I already know what they do from my other 870's and my 11-87.

So to the results......

12 yd target Remington Express 9 pellet standard 2 3/4" load:

DSC02362.jpg

Not bad. At 12 yds this is a very effective 00 buckshot pattern. This load is also readily available at Walmart.

12 yd target Federal LE12700 9 pellet full power with flite control wad

DSC02359.jpg

Almost looks like a slug hit don't it?

25 yd target Remington Express 9 pellet standard 2 3/4" load:

DSC02363.jpg

This is not a pattern I'd be happy with for hunting from this gun at this range. For defensive purposes the pattern is also just too wide.

25 yd target Federal LE12700 9 pellet full power with flite control wad

DSC02360.jpg

I would be happy with this pattern for deer hunting at this range. I'd also trust this load better as a stopper of violence from this range as the damage would still be confined to the torso.

So, the new/old 870 is broken in and patterned and will now take it's place in the HD lineup. It will still require regular excercise though :D.

Scattergun Bob

rantingredneck

Per Usual, Federal LE shells just continue to do the job and PREFORM:).

Congrads, on your Police model, by the bright bolt and flex tab, it looks like a mid years production of that flavor.

Great scattergun, my best to you.

Bob

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Double R, Looks like it will bring home some meat! Hope you get to level it on some live fur wrapped venison this year!
Brent

rantingredneck

Thanks guys.

Brent, This one will play second or third fiddle but if I can find time between now and the season opener to get the sights right for slugs it may well do that. At 50 yds I was shooting about 3" high and 4" right. Need to fix that.

My 11-87 is shooting dead on with Brenneke's and patterning 3" Federal Premium Flite Control 12 pellet 00 loads nicely so it'll take the lead this year as usual.