Patched linotype bullets @2,000FPS ?

Big Bunny

:confused:

I have been informed that non-gas check linotype projectiles have been pushed to 2,000 FPS by someone called Cast Bullets Inc in USA?

They use cigarette papers on a template and lube the patch I am told, but information is hearsay and verbal.

I am very interested if this is true, as at present I am using 150gn FP LEE 30/30W cast hard linotype projectiles at 1,500, Alox lubed only.

I feel I am on the borders of leading/accuracy problems with 10gn SR5745 and WLR primers, Winchester 30/30 cases in a M95 Ranger.

An extra 500FPS would be bonza! [.308 gas-checks are 5c each here or more than 50% the entire round cost to produce.]

Anyone in USA know anything to help my quest ?

Pampers

Alternatives

Permit me to offer some alternatives.

First off, I have never used paper patched bullets, but I do know that is usually done with special soft cast bullets especially designed for paper patching. The paper recommended is usually best quality, high rag content bond paper, not cigarette paper.

I HAVE had success with lin-o-type bullets in .45-70 @ circa 1,800 fps, using IMR 3031. Here's what I do. The bullets are hard cast of pure lin-o-type, and are plain base weighing circa 500gr. They are then moly coated using the NECO Moly-Kote system (minus the wax) www.neconos.com They are then lube/sized using NRA Formula beeswax/Alox. Finally, they are seated over polypropolene wads ("P-Wads" also from NECO).

Yr. Obt. Svnt

Big Bunny

Lead bullets.

Thanks Pampers, I will follow up your advise and the p/p gas-check:). Your 45/70 sounds great!

I have managed to find the CBA in USA, but no reply as yet to my e-mail. :(

Some years before I got there, one of my co-workers at American Rifleman magazine had done some experiments with how fast a paper-patched lead bullet could be driven.

He was in the 2,700 fps. range with a .300 Win. Mag. before he started having problems with the bullets stripping the rifling.