Partisan Politics Surge in U.S. Military

Karanas

In the short run, this is good news for Bush. Somewhere down the road, this could cause some serious problems.

http://www.newhouse.com/archive/story1b101900.html

In Defiance of Tradition, Partisan Politics Surge in U.S. Military

By DAVID WOOD

c.2000 Newhouse News Service

WASHINGTON -- Traditionally uneasy about partisan politics, the 1.4 million Americans serving on active duty in the armed forces are preparing this year to speak with a big voice in the presidential election.

The trend toward increased partisanship is marked by a surge in voter registration on military posts around the country, and by an increase in political endorsements by retired senior officers.

Many in the military are taking the Republican side with a vengeance, saying they do not trust Democrats to properly manage or use the military.

"In my 18 years in the Army I have never seen anything like this," said Maj. Don Vandergriff, an armor officer stationed in Washington. "So many people, captains to colonels, are saying that if (GOP candidate George W.) Bush gets in, political correctness will go away and they can return to being warriors, and the military will be taken care of."

This accelerating trend of military partisanship, which has its roots in the bitter domestic divisions of the Vietnam War, deeply worries seasoned observers and some officers themselves. They see it as an alarming breach in the once-sacrosanct division between military and politics.

It "tells people that the military no longer stands above the political fray, that it has an investment in certain policies," said Richard H. Kohn, professor of history at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. "It undermines the trust that the most senior political leadership has in the military."

Voting has always been a duty in the military ranks, especially for younger recruits. In the 1996 presidential election, for example, 64 percent of the active-duty military voted, compared to 49.8 percent of the general public.

An equally long tradition, however, held that military officers ought not to steal, lie, cheat or vote -- the last in the belief that to be effective as professionals they had to be scrupulously apolitical.

By law, members of the armed forces on active duty may vote and even express political opinions as individuals, but they may not participate in partisan politics. For that reason, officers and enlisted men and women agreed to discuss politics only if they were not identified by name.

Nevertheless, there is evidence of new political interest bubbling up from the ranks. It is motivated in part by distrust and even hatred of President Bill Clinton -- and by association, Vice President Al Gore, the Democratic candidate -- for what many see as the administration's disdain for the military and its embrace of social causes such as gay rights.

Thanks also to determined GOP voter registration drives around military installations, thousands of soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines are signing up to vote.

At Fort Hood, in Texas, registrations have shot up by 8,000 new voters this year over 1996, the last presidential election year, said Army Staff Sgt. Arlisa Rivers, the post's voter assistance officer. There are 49,000 soldiers stationed at Fort Hood.

And at Fort Bragg, N.C., home of the elite maroon berets of the 82nd Airborne Division, registrations are up by 3,000 this year over 1996 and rising at a rate of 1,200 to 1,500 a month.

"That's the most we've seen in ... a million years," said Doc Scheffler, GOP chairman in Cumberland County, N.C., which encompasses Fort Bragg and the adjacent Pope Air Force Base. Scheffler is a retired Army Special Forces major.

Other organizations, such as the Association of the United States Army, are mounting unprecedented get-out-the-vote drives and voter education campaigns.

In a more controversial move, the Bush campaign this summer lined up 26 retired generals and admirals to publicly endorse the Republican candidate.

The group, co-chaired by Charles Krulak, recently retired commandant of the Marine Corps, includes six former members of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, several senior regional commanders and at least four Medal of Honor recipients.

In June, an in-depth study by the Triangle Institute for Security Studies found that the tradition of nonpartisan officers is fast disappearing.

The study also found that the military's most elite, fast-rising young officers reject the traditional notion that military officers should advise political leaders and then, after a decision has been made by civilian policymakers, "salute and follow orders," as the old military adage goes.

Instead, half the officers said they have a right to "insist" on policy decisions to their liking.

The study was conducted by Kohn, at Chapel Hill, and Duke University political scientist Peter D. Feaver. An earlier, incomplete version of their report was released last year.

Between 1976 and 1999, Kohn and Feaver found, the number of elite officers who consider themselves politically independent or who had no political party preference dropped from a majority of 54 percent to only 28 percent.

Those officers identifying themselves as Republicans nearly doubled, from 33 percent to 64 percent. Fully two-thirds described themselves as political conservatives.

Here's the precise danger of this gallop toward partisanship, said Martin L. Cook, professor of ethics at the U.S. Army War College: If the military is seen endorsing Bush but Gore wins the election, "What does this do for the next administration's perceptions about the loyalty of the military?"

Senior retired officer or newly minted private, many in the military said they are motivated to vote this year because they have a personal stake in the issues. One burning issue is determining how and where the military is used: whether it should be sent off on peacekeeping missions and to fight fires and manage disaster relief, or held back to be used only for warfighting.

They also want a say in the debate about whether to invest more in combat readiness or in new weapons systems, in how their service should be redesigned for the future, and in dozens of other issues.

And they said they do not feel as if their military leaders are speaking to the country on their behalf, that they feel estranged from the nation's political leaders.

"They want somebody to pay attention to them," explained an Army colonel.

The Triangle Institute study found that the rising young officers also feel disdain for political leadership: 66 percent said political leaders are "somewhat ignorant" or "very ignorant" about military affairs. Two-thirds oppose allowing women in combat positions, and endorse the idea that a male, warrior culture is essential for military effectiveness.

Above all, the military seems to want respect.

A Marine gunnery sergeant said he looks to Bush "to instill in the American public that being in the military does not mean you are a second-class citizen, that it is fashionable to serve your country, and honorable to be in the military."

The roots of that kind of partisan identification reach back to the mid-1960s, said Kohn, "when the Democratic Party abandoned the military and became anti-defense spending and unsympathetic to the military, and the Republican Party began to reach out to the military."

He said Richard Nixon and Ronald Reagan, both Republican presidents, made a point of cultivating the military in the "culture wars" of the 1970s and '80s, when there were bitter divides over patriotism, the role of women and gays, and other social issues affecting the military.

The upshot, Kohn said, is that "the officer corps is becoming very invested in certain partisan policies, certain decisions, and they are coming to believe they should be insisting on certain things instead of advising" civilian policymakers.

Some young officers returning from peacekeeping missions in Kosovo, for instance, have astonished older officers by saying they would insist on the United States not taking on more such missions, vowing that they would resign rather than carry them out. There is great appeal to them in Bush's frequent campaign statements implying that, if he is elected, he would drastically cut back on peacekeeping and nation-building.

Although both Bush and Gore endorse increasing military readiness and enlarging defense budgets, Bush in particular has played on the discontent stirring through the ranks.

"Stay in the military -- there's a new commander in chief coming!" he told an Aug. 11 campaign rally in Everett, Wash., near several military installations.

Yet the perils of a partisan political military are all too evident, some observers say. Indeed, the United States has sought for years to convince other countries that "political generals" corrode democracy and civilian control of the military.

"I think we all lose something when the public comes to perceive the military as just another interest group, like trial lawyers or big oil or the Teamsters (union)," said Albert C. Pierce, director of the Center for the Study of Professional Military Ethics at the U.S. Naval Academy.

Pierce said the military "ought to be, and ought to be seen as, the neutral servant of the state. It has a monopoly on organized, large-scale violence, which ought to be clearly a tool of the state."

Krulak declined to discuss his new role in partisan politics that followed his retirement as commandant of the Marine Corps in June 1999. But some analysts argue that the case against partisanship is no less compelling for retired senior officers.

One reason is that they still hold considerable influence within the ranks. For a culture used to taking and following orders, a political endorsement by a senior retired officer might be considered close to an order, some officers said.

Another reason is that when officers suddenly move from very senior command positions into retirement and partisan politics, it raises questions about their loyalty to civilian officials and the quality of advice they were giving as commanders.

"Technically, since they are no longer on active duty, they have a right to participate in the political process," said Pierce. "But I think prudence argues against an organized, systematic public effort by prominent senior officers" on behalf of a partisan political cause.

These currents of discontent within the military, some of which are venting into partisan activity, worry old-timers.

"The one unchanging bedrock principle for soldiers has been obedience. A soldier is obedient," said Robert Killebrew, a retired Army strategist. "But this idea is starting to crack. We are saying, for the first time in my lifetime, obedience has its limits.

"We are evolving a new morality, for the Army and the profession," Killebrew said.

Meantime, he acknowledged, "Nobody is quite sure where the ethical bounds are anymore."

Waitone

Great aticle.

The American military has a long and honored tradition of maintaining political neutrality while on active duty. Behind doors comments were usual, but generally Americans on active duty in the military kept politics to a minimum.

Enter ClintonClintonandGore. Everything that team has touched is politicized. I see the disgusting show of command level officers shilling for Clinton. Now that the grunts take notice and take action, suddenly there is a problem. I think it encouraging that active duty officers realize a Dubya presidency means a return to the warrior ethic. Hopefully PC will be abolished. I sense active duty personnel are uncomfortable with politicization but it is something jammed down their throats.

Problem down the road? You betcha but not because active duty personnel talk of their political preferences. There is trouble down the road because we will call on a PC military to engage in traditional warrior acts and will no doubt suffer unnecessary losses.

------------------
Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

Barry Goldwater--1964

USP45usp

It's about time that young recruits vote. Have you ever in your life heard this:

"They put a fully automatic rifle in my hands. They hand me an M9 as my sidearm, but you mean to tell me that you can't sell that P89 to me by law? You've got to be kidding me".

True statement, true experience.

USP45usp

[This message has been edited by USP45usp (edited October 23, 2000).]

JerryM

As a 28 year vet, I am glad to see it. I always voted and my contemporaries did also. I have been very disappointed at the senior flag grade officers who seem to be willing to accept harmful things that the administration has proposed. If the senior generals had bucked it there wouldn't have been the current gay problem or several other PC policies, including women in jobs where they shouldn't be, that are detrimental to the military. In wartime an officer is recognized if he is a warrior. During peace he is recognized and promoted if he is a political hack. As far as I am concerned that is what we have in the flag ranks. More power to the dissentors. We recognize civilian authority, but as far as I am concerned we don't have to take it lying down. The nation deserves better. Jerry

Jeff Thomas

I'll echo Jerry's comments (albeit, note that I am not a veteran).

Sure, I see a potential danger in a military too entwined with politics. However, I feel more strongly that our military officers and enlisted people owe it to our citizens to voice their concerns. After all, we have Weird Al telling us how great our military remains, and we have Bush (and many veterans) voicing concern.

Yes, the military is rightly constrained by civilian policy. But, personally, I want our military personnel to tell us the truth ... they do us no good if they simply go along with absurd civilian policies. And, IMHO, they harm our country by their quiet acquiescence with bad policy.

To paraphrase George Schultz (Reagan's former Secretary of State) ... 'in order to do some jobs well, you cannot want the job too much'. That is, sometimes you've gotta lay the truth on the line, and the consequences be damned.

We're fortunate to have brave officers.

Thanks to all vet's for their service to our country. And, that includes their poltitical service, when necessary.

Regards from AZ

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Part of me is very happy about this.

Part of me remembers how our Founding Fathers felt about a professional standing army getting too involved with politics. That, as a matter of fact, is the reason for our beloved Second Amendment.

From the time that Legio X Fretensis and others got involved in politics by crossing the Rubicon behind a renegade general named Gaius Iulius Caesar in direct defiance of the legitimate government, it was only a matter of time until the death of the Republic...

------------------
"..but never ever Fear. Fear is for the enemy. Fear and Bullets."
10mm: It's not the size of the Dawg in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog!

C.R.Sam

General Walker would be pleased.

"Less government, more individual responsibility"...JBS

------------------
Sam I am, grn egs n packin

Nikita Khrushchev predicted confidently in a speech in Bucharest, Rumania on June 19, 1962 that: " The United States will eventually fly the Communist Red Flag...the American people will hoist it themselves."

Glock-A-Roo

I don't think the troops are getting "politicized" at all. I don't think there's anything scary or abnormal about this situation.

The military is merely reacting to the damage inflicted upon it by Clinton/Gore. Clinton has ravaged our military in several devastating ways. The troops are simply responding normally and rationally to the executive branch's attempts to turn them into lackeys.

If someone is trying to crush my skull and I respond in self-defense, am I "espousing violence" or "embracing a dangerously combative attitude" by protecting myself? Hell no.

In case you %$#@* at the FBI's internet monitoring station didn't catch that, I said HELL NO.

HankB

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Karanas:
...military officers ought not to steal, lie, cheat or vote...[/quote]

Well, the Commander in Chief has done all four, so... ;)

Anyway, I always thought it was every American's DUTY to vote! (With limited exceptions, like convicted felons.) I've never heard that officers shouldn't vote. Sounds more like Democrat wishful thinking rather than military tradition.

Fast Eagle

Folks,

For those of you not active duty, you have no idea how bad it really is. It is almost comical to be honest.

18, going on 19 years U.S. Navy and I have never seen it as bad as it is today.

Our training hops, under Reagan and Bush would run 3 to 6 hours with 2 in-flight tankings and a full ordnance loadout (12,000 to 20,000 pounds of munitions). Today we fly 45 minutes to 90 minutes, average loadout, 6,000 pounds.

Under prior administrations, to simulate real world missions we would depart NAS Lemoore with a full loadout climb to altitude and tank (in-flight refuel). Then highspeed cruise 2 hours to a bomb range in Texas attack multiple ground targets while maneuvering against a group of Air Force F-16 drivers playing the commie bad guys. Then exit the training area low and fast, breaking every damn window, car windshield and pocket mirror we could locate! Then climb to altitude and tank, return to NAS Lemoore.

A real combat mission.

Today, we depart out of NAS Lemoore, fly 45 miles south fling some unarmed drop/drag devices at these big white circles on the ground then come home and do paperwork all day.

Been that way ever since 1994!

If I had to go into combat today, I would be scared ****less! I haven’t practiced basic fighter tactics with an actual aggressor aircraft in 18 months!!!

We need a leader, bad! Please vote for Dubya!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fast Eagle

bullet44

Fast Eagle said it all, my son an Air Force
officer just resigned because of the problems he spoke of, as an old AF enlisted type it appears to me that in the past 8 years the adm. has tried to make the military into the liberal society they vision and of
course it won't work.Perhaps thet want the
military to fail.? For sure we need a change
in management.!!

Brady

Typical liberal media propoganda. It's only an issue to this "journalist" because the military are decidedly conservative. The media act like the word "partisan" means "conservative" these days. The author even mentioned the real problems we are facing with entrenched partisanship in groups like the trial lawyers, labor unions, public school teachers, etc. But since these groups are overwhelmingly and openly liberal in their politics, this is not seen as a problem by the author.

As far as a prevailing political orientation in our military, I would think we should be glad that it is conservative. If they were liberal we would already be living in a fascist state. Look at what this administration has been able to do with the FBI, IRS and other offices of the executive branch and imagine what they could do with the military behind them.

------------------
Brady
(No relation to that $%#$ bill)

Strayhorn

I notice that no one gives a **** that educators and professors and so forth take the exact opposite tack and indoctrinate people going through *those* ranks in liberal, gimme, anti-military stances. Guess payback's a b*tch, eh? Until the military starts actively disobeying
orders for political reasons, I'm not too worried about the fact that they aren't idiots, that they realize who recently has tended to screw them over hardest and disrespect them the most. I don't think it's so much partisan as it is rational anti-Clintonism. If the Democrats stop
being such strategic ****heads, I'm certain those in the military will be glad to adopt a more embracing attitude toward their policies.

"Ought not to vote"? Who has said this, ever? Who? I've known Navy/Marine officers all my 46 years and I've _never_ heard this said. Not once. Most take their duty to vote as any other duty - I still get up at 5 a.m. to be at the polls when they open, a tradition handed down by my father (30-year Marine) and my grandfather (WWI Army) and my great-grandfather (26th NC Troops, CSA).

What else are we fighting for?

I better have a drink and calm down . . .

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC

Hutch

Yup, so now if you take the oath "To protect and defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic" seriously, you're a partisan. The military's loyalty is not, has not and should not be to the administration, but rather to the Constitution. It would suit me just fine if there were an amendment to make the Commander in Chief the Chief Justice of the SCOTUS, rather than the President.

Waitone

My father spent 22 years in the Army. It wasn't until a few years before he died that I learned what his political preferences were, but he did vote every time. I've known many active duty personnel who simply would not identify their political affiliations, but they voted.

The concern over politicization of the military is an attempt to deflect the legitimate concerns our soldiers are expressing about the state of the military.

I think we as voters need to be d*mned concerned that active duty personnel are going public, politically.

Fast Eagle, I really enjoy your facility with the English language.

------------------
Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

Barry Goldwater--1964

TAZ

We have always known that the libs feel that any exercise of Constitutinoal rigths is a BAD thing. The fact that many in the military are voting is BAD juju for that liberal POS whore who some dare call a human being. The more people in general that vote the harder it is for these pond scum to stay in office. The would love nothing better than to have the lowest turn out ever. Just them and their elite friends could continue to decide the future of the country. Of course they are scared ****less. They have spread our fores to the four corners of the globe to live in hellholes for 8 years and now they cant even reach them on the campaign trail to lie to and confuse them. They know most want a return home and a return to being soldiers not nannies and social experiments. As for officers and military not being able to vote, hah what a load of crap. Of all they have the most right to vote cause they are the ones who will bleed first when TSHTF. Aside from that if there were some law preculding military from voting, how long before we can form the TFL brigade as we all get drafted to keep our political views hushed.

paratrooper

I am glad about the Generals and Admirals that are backing Bush . I am sure Gore is not pleased but remains steadfastly proud of inventing both the Generals AND the Admirals .

------------------
TOM
SASS AMERICAN LEGION NRA GOA

hube1236

<<Imagine the voice of one of those tie-dyed 45 year old woman types>>

But Gore is giving them the new hats!

Isn't he?

Hard Ball

Given the tremendous damage the Clinton-Gore administration has inflicted on our armed forces it is no wonder that the people on active duty wuo have seen the results first hand are hostile to the administration.

Monkeyleg

Why is it that the people who attribute the rapid gains in their stock portfolios to Clinton/Gore are held up as examples of this administration's success, while those who may die because of the administration's bungling of military affairs are denegrated?

Dick
Want to send a message to Bush? Sign the petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/monk/petition.html and forward the link to every gun owner you know.