"Partial" Approval for Gun Purchase????

zanthope

I wanted to buy an AR-15 at a gun show in central Ohio last Saturday. I was put on "delay" ... I'm used to that.

Because of being short on time, I let the whole thing go until this weekend. I came home last night to a voice-mail message from the dealer.

According to the message, I'm approved to pick up the rifle, but the feds are still checking something...so I guess I'm only half-approved, or something. I don't get it.

I can't talk to the dealer for a day or two...they are part-timers in the gun business.

I thought this approval stuff was the same as being pregnant...you either is or you ain't. I also thought the feds had to process it in three days. It's been a week, and apparently I'm still (half) up in the air.

Anyone have a clue???

Redlg155

The ATF instant check system does issue a conditional purchase on firearms on occasion. I was at the gun store the other day when an individual was advised that he had a "conditional" purchase. He was also advised by the dealer that the ATF would notify the local Law Enforcement Agency for confiscation is he did not pass the rest of the background check.

Although the feds are delayed in processing your "request" to purchase a weapon, I suspect they grant a conditional release so they do not have the suffer the scrutiny of not allowing you to purchase a weapon with no legal justification to deny you.

Provided that there isn't anything in your records check that would not allow you to purchase a weapon, I would not worry. There have been times, and I know of one instance personally where the Feds have included information submitted by the state from juvenille records. Although it was a sealed charge the feds included it anyway as a "black mark" to deny a gun purchase until further investigation. The ATF could not open a sealed record, but it gave them justification enough to temporarily deny the purchase until the matter was cleared up.

Good Shooting
RED

Zander

"The ATF instant check system does issue a conditional purchase..."

Which dumps liability on the FFL.

Most dealers are loath to do CPs.

Zak Smith

It was my understanding that when your NICS call goes in, these are the only choices:

1. you are approved or denied "immediately"
2. they don't respond immediately. They call back in up to 3 days, goto #1.
3. They don't respond in 3 days, you get the gun.

Where do these shenanigans fit in?

-z