Parking lots and Perry !

SVO

This is going to be interesting. I work for a company supplying engineering services to local chemical companies. I can't wait to see what kind of push back comes out of my company's HR department and those of our client companies.

CowTowner

I work for a company that supplies IT services to a couple of DoD contractors in North Texas. The contractors were among the companies trying to get a pass on this bill that didn't succeed. Which makes me happy as I can now travel in my POV and keep a firearm at least in my vehicle starting 09/01/2011. Now if I could get them to give me a weapons locker on site for days when I ride public transportation..............

fisherman66

Exciting times.

"I can't wait to see what kind of push back comes out of my company's HR department"

Me neither, especially since I am that department. I'm thinking Nagant Revolver. There's a certain je ne sais quoi in that one. Any commie handgun will work.

Eghad

If you work on a federal military installation just remember the State of Texas stops at the front gate.

SVO

This answers all my questions about this new law....

"Property owned or leased by a chemical manufacturer or oil and gas refiner permitted by TCEQ and on which the primary business conducted is the manufacture, use, storage or transportation of hazardous, combustible, or explosive materials; however, employees at these facilities who are CHLs may store firearms (including rifles or shotguns) in their private motor vehicles in parking areas located outside of secured and restricted areas which contain the physical plant, are not open to the public and which are constantly monitored by security personnel."

Seek and yea shall find your disappointment.

Eghad

yup federal buildings too.... I have a friend that works for the DOJ I went by to see him and I thought the security guy was gonna have a stroke when I pulled my Benchmade knife out. However, he was noce about and held on to it until I departed the building.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Seek and yea shall find your disappointment.
It's a pretty specific caveat.

Are you saying that at your job the only parking for employees is

located inside secured and restricted areas which contains the physical plant
-AND-
not open to the public
-AND-
constantly monitored by security personnel.
-AND-
Your employer is a chemical manufacturer or oil and gas refiner whose primary business on the premises is the manufacture, use, storage or transportation of hazardous, combustible, or explosive materials?

That would be pretty bad luck, I guess, but even the CHL laws have restrictions on them put there by powerful special interest groups. Like the "no carrying at amusement parks" caveat put there by Six Flags.

It's not a perfect world--then again, if it were, we wouldn't need to carry guns for self-defense in the first place. ;)

SVO

Yep, That's what I'm saying JohnKSa. Gov. Perry signing the bill sounds like a good deal until you get into the details of what the bill allows. Not that I feel the need to have a weapon in my vehicle while traveling to & from work, but would be nice to be able to head directly to the range after work.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Yep, That's what I'm saying JohnKSa.
Wow, sorry to hear that...
Gov. Perry signing the bill sounds like a good deal until you get into the details of what the bill allows.
To be fair, it IS a good deal for most employees. But, as you point out (and unfortunately exemplify), clearly not for everyone.

SVO

Yes, you are correct, it is a good for most employees and it is a positive step forward for Texas gun rights.

JohnKSa

Administrator
In another couple of legislative sessions, especially if there have been no negative incidents, it might be possible to push through a bill to eliminate that caveat. We've seen that kind of thing happen over the years with the original CHL bill--probably the most notable example is church carry which was originally banned entirely but is now legal unless the church is properly posted.

SRH78

Are you saying that at your job the only parking for employees is

located inside secured and restricted areas which contains the physical plant
-AND-
not open to the public
-AND-
constantly monitored by security personnel.
-AND-
Your employer is a chemical manufacturer or oil and gas refiner whose primary business on the premises is the manufacture, use, storage or transportation of hazardous, combustible, or explosive materials?
Yes and on top of that, I commute in a company vehicle which I also drive onto property which is not only not owned by my company but also not owned by our customers either. It is private property, and in some cases the property owner's residence, to which access and drilling rights have been leased.